RoboCop: Rogue City Gameplay Video

erek

[H]F Junkie
Pretty baller

"Become the iconic part man, part machine, all cop hero as you attempt to bring justice to the dangerous, crime-ridden streets of Old Detroit. Armed with your trusty Auto-9, factory-built strength, years of experience on the force and a variety of tools at your disposal, you will fight forces seeking to destroy the city you call home in an all new first-person, explosive hunt for the truth. You have the power to decide how to fulfil prime directives in your own way, but as the story unfolds proceed with caution because corruption and greed know no limits.
Prepare yourself to...
PROTECT THE INNOCENT AND UPHOLD THE LAW"

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/305705/nacon-unleashes-robocop-rogue-city-gameplay-video

The game looks really outdated graphically. Would want to watch a much bigger breakdown to see if the gameplay is good. Based on what was shown, it's definitely not impressive.

Just some thoughts off the top:
Slow-mo is reminiscent of FEAR
Grabbing people reminds me of the original teaser for Crysis
Shown gunplay seems overly slow, and if that walking speed is representative of gameplay, it's going to be very tedious.
Quests also seem reminiscent of DX:HR and are very fetch-quest looking. But hey we've seen all of 3 minutes of gameplay footage so obviously it could be much deeper.
Graphics quality seems like a late 2000's or early 2010's game. Although because it doesn't have a distinct visual style (eg: DX:HR), seems boring.
All the 2D overlays that are supposed to represent Murphy's HUD/visor just look stapled on.
Not sure what's going on with Peter Weller's performance, but it feels like he's just phoning it in. He isn't using a deeper voice, and the vocoder/mechanical sound used in the film also isn't present in these demos - in a word he feels soft where in the original films he was hard/sharp and dispassionate. Hope I'm wrong on this as well.

I love RoboCop, but those are probably my harsh criticisms with what they've shown. A game like this needs to not be generic. It really should be capitalizing on the IP by being unique in comparison with other FPS games in terms of the world, art assets, and also what you do.
I hope it's not a cynical cash grab, but kinda seems like a cynical cash grab.

Last edited:
The game looks really outdated graphically. Would want to watch a much bigger breakdown to see if the gameplay is good. Based on what was shown, it's definitely not impressive.

Shown gunplay seems overly slow, and if that walking speed is representative of gameplay, it's going to be very tedious.
Quests also seem reminiscent of DX:HR and are very fetch-quest looking. But hey we've seen all of 3 minutes of gameplay footage so obviously it could be much deeper.
Graphics quality seems like a late 2000's or early 2010's game. Although because it doesn't have a distinct visual style (eg: DX:HR), seems boring.
All the 2D overlays that are supposed to represent Murphy's HUD/visor just look stapled on.
Not sure what's going on with Peter Weller's performance, but it feels like he's just phoning it in. He isn't using a deeper voice, and the vocoder/mechanical sound used in the film also isn't present in these demos - in a word he feels soft where in the original films he was hard/sharp and dispassionate. Hope I'm wrong on this as well.

I love RoboCop, but those are probably my harsh criticisms with what they've shown. A game like this needs to not be generic. It really should be capitalizing on the IP by being unique in comparison with other FPS games in terms of the world, art assets, and also what you do.

Oh hush, you. This looks to be sweet, and Peter Weller came back to do the voiceover. I don't expect a Doom (2016) level FPS, I want to be Robocop with the targeting etc etc

It does seem like a cash in. Cool that they got Weller to do the voice, though.

Yeah, I hate being a cynic, but the game just doesn't look great. And believe me when I say I wish it did.

Having a great Robocop game would be awesome. Maybe we could also get a great Terminator game.
Seems like these fantastic IP's are under utilized for cash grabs.

Oh hush, you. This looks to be sweet, and Peter Weller came back to do the voiceover. I don't expect a Doom (2016) level FPS, I want to be Robocop with the targeting etc etc
Ja, he's supposed to be a tank, not an agile super ninja. His movement and how he shoots is completely reminiscent of the 1987 movie. We're not interested in the 2014 version.

Wow, I had no idea this was coming. Robocop 1987 is one of my favorite movies of all time... I consider it a sci-fi classic on the level of Bladerunner and Alien.

The trailer doesn't reveal enough for me to know whether the game will actually be good, but the fact that it has Peter Weller means they're at least trying to make a serious effort. If the game is at all good then I'll gladly pay full price for it. If it's bad I'll probably still play it, I'd just wait for the price to drop.

i mean its the same group that did terminator resistance and rambo so yea they are cashing in on older IP. But still might be a fun playthrough, not something id pay more than $20 for though personally.

This is not AAA game, it's a relatively small budget title just as Terminator Resistance was which was way more fun than it had any right to be and understood and respected the IP.

Wow, I had no idea this was coming. Robocop 1987 is one of my favorite movies of all time... I consider it a sci-fi classic on the level of Bladerunner and Alien.

The trailer doesn't reveal enough for me to know whether the game will actually be good, but the fact that it has Peter Weller means they're at least trying to make a serious effort. If the game is at all good then I'll gladly pay full price for it. If it's bad I'll probably still play it, I'd just wait for the price to drop.

It is a classic on the level of BR and Alien. Robocob was 36 years ahead of its time.

It is a classic on the level of BR and Alien. Robocob was 36 years ahead of its time.
Grew up in 80's, never really enjoyed Robocop(yeah i know :( ), don't feel it holds its own in modern times like Alien and BR do. But that being said, this has potential to being a low budget gem, and maybe some new material if it is successful, i'll give it a shot.

Blade-Runner posted it to the PC Gaming & Hardware subforum when it was revealed 2 years ago 😉. Link to the thread is in the second post of this one.

Grew up in 80's, never really enjoyed Robocop(yeah i know :( ), don't feel it holds its own in modern times like Alien and BR do. But that being said, this has potential to being a low budget gem, and maybe some new material if it is successful, i'll give it a shot.

I think a lot of people can't get past the camp, ultra violence and the cheesy gore of RC for the satire it was. I mean it was 1987... after that we got vehicles like the SUX Hummer, we got the mega corp monopolies that owned everything including the news. We have got "autonomous" zones. About the only thing Robocop hasn't predicted at this point is a corporation being contracted to provide police services. OH shit wait... that is happening too. The evolution of all the defund the police stuff is a push for "alternative delivery services", ok that hasn't been taken over by any mega corps... yet.
Movies are subjective things... imo Robocop is right up there with the other late 70s/80s sci fi classics. It was smarter and had an even more important message then a movie like Blade Runner.

I think a lot of people can't get past the camp, ultra violence and the cheesy gore of RC for the satire it was. I mean it was 1987... after that we got vehicles like the SUX Hummer, we got the mega corp monopolies that owned everything including the news. We have got "autonomous" zones. About the only thing Robocop hasn't predicted at this point is a corporation being contracted to provide police services. OH shit wait... that is happening too. The evolution of all the defund the police stuff is a push for "alternative delivery services", ok that hasn't been taken over by any mega corps... yet.
Movies are subjective things... imo Robocop is right up there with the other late 70s/80s sci fi classics. It was smarter and had an even more important message then a movie like Blade Runner.
Agreed. It's more relevant now than ever.

I think the game looks promising, I hope it's good!

Yeah certainly one of Verhoeven's best and a classic imo.

the only thing that doesnt* hold up is ED. see above posts for more info...
*doesnt not does

Last edited:
If it's just a cash in then it will be awful, because I don't think the Robocop brand is big enough, 36 years later, to sell a lot of copies just on brand recognition, and I'm sure they'll understand that, and invest little into the venture. Still, Peter Weller is reprising the role, that says either he came extremely cheap, or they're treating this with at least some level of respect.

For what it's worth I've read that their other movie tie in games, while not necessarily great, are often better than other games that tie into the same IP. Hopefully those were just the warm-up for this one.

This is not AAA game, it's a relatively small budget title just as Terminator Resistance was which was way more fun than it had any right to be and understood and respected the IP.
Looks like a little more budget, Resistance could have been a good game. That opening cutscene was badass.

ughhh, I had blocked that abortion from my memory.
Same. I refused to watch it, even though we sort of like the actor guy. I was not going to taint my Peter Weller memories. Yeah yeah, I know about Robocop 3, but he wasn't in it and it was so terrible it is easily forgotten.

Trailer kinda reminds me of Max Payne. RC has a charm, excellent casting, dystopic sci-future and some great one liners. Played all the games. This won't have to do much to hit it out of the park, just do it right, capture the feel of the original. Weller has a great voice. He used to narrate that history show Engineering an Empire, great stuff.

It certainly was. :borg:

SwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.jpg

Couldn't have said it better myself.
What a dark cyberpunk future we have found ourselves in, and at this point Old Detroit is in far better shape and less crime-ridden than actual 2020s Detroit...

Trailer kinda reminds me of Max Payne. RC has a charm, excellent casting, dystopic sci-future and some great one liners. Played all the games. This won't have to do much to hit it out of the park, just do it right, capture the feel of the original. Weller has a great voice. He used to narrate that history show Engineering an Empire, great stuff.
I don't have high hopes for this but all the same I think I will still find enjoyment in it.

On that note, I wonder if we will ever get that proper Robocop sequel that was in the works.

Looking forward to this. Their Terminator game was surprisingly good double AA game, very respectful for the original feel and style.

It was also a massive upgrade from their initial HE IS A MAN NOT A GOD HE IS A MAN NOT A GOD shooting gallery Rambo game. But less talk about that turd of a game the better.

This will probably play like the terminator mode in resistance, and that was great fun. I wished there was more of that not just the one map.

I'm looking forward to it. I actually downloaded the 40gb demo but didn't get around to trying it before the devs invalidated it. Not sure I understand the purpose for such a short window for a demo, especially a 40gb monster.

I'm looking forward to it. I actually downloaded the 40gb demo but didn't get around to trying it before the devs invalidated it. Not sure I understand the purpose for such a short window for a demo, especially a 40gb monster.
If you didn't delete it, you can simply run the .exe from the gamefolder. I was just playing it a little bit ago and appreciating the detail they put into the gameworld such as open city Detroit and the precinct. I think I'm getting 2 hours out of this demo, which is impressive considering most games don't get demos. Already I think this is one of those cases where I'm going to happily support the developers for their show of good faith and clear passion for the material they were working with.

If you didn't delete it, you can simply run the .exe from the gamefolder. I was just playing it a little bit ago and appreciating the detail they put into the gameworld such as open city Detroit and the precinct. I think I'm getting 2 hours out of this demo, which is impressive considering most games don't get demos. Already I think this is one of those cases where I'm going to happily support the developers for their show of good faith and clear passion for the material they were working with.
Crap, I already deleted it :( Ehh I'll likely end up buying it anyway

Back