Robocop Is Real And Could Be Patrolling A Mall Near You

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Stanford Shopping Center in California apparently has a Dalek now. I want to kick it just to see how it responds.

They are completely autonomous, navigating like self-driving cars. They have high-definition infra-red cameras; microphones that allow the robot to either interact with people or listen for sounds such as breaking glass, and even detection systems that can intercept the pings of mobile phone devices, and license-plate reading software that can process 300 license plates every minute.

They did this back in the '80s, though.

Chopping Mall (1986) - IMDb

H5cO6Jg.jpg

THANK YOU HAVE A NICE DAY

Did anyone else get images of Robocop on a Segway after reading the headline?

They have been there for awhile now, probably a year or two at least...

I have no idea what it does, except a lot of people find it to be interesting. It occasionally stuck though, which is pretty funny.

Did anyone else get images of Robocop on a Segway after reading the headline?
I did as well but once I saw the picture, it reminded me of the robot in the original Judge Dredd that Rob Schneider was hiding in.

I would think people would want knock it over. This is no ED209.
From the looks of it, unless it weighs a ton and has extending arms, it can be knocked over fairly easily and no way of getting back up.

How in the hell was I not aware of Chopping Mall? That looks like it would have been right up my 1986's alley.

This mall is 20 min from me...I need to watch for it on the next trip!

I see an awkward expensive security camera that rolls around the mall on presumably fixed routes. Where is the robot security guard?

The slightly comical Dalek design was intentional, Stephens said. “We could [have gone] two ways: friendly, or ominous

Because Daleks are just known as such "Friendly" robots right?

Frank Miller wrote that Script =)

No he didn't. Frank Miller was hired to work on the sequel, Robocop 2, not the original. Very little of Frank Miller's original screenplay survived the film making process.

Back