Robo Recall Oculus Exclusive No More

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Being that most interactive VR warriors have opted for the HTC Vive system over the Oculus, you were likely sad to hear that Robo Recall was going to be an Oculus exclusive title. Well, rejoice, as that exclusivity has ended for those of us that are willing to get our hands a bit dirty. And on top of it all, it uses the extremely reliable SteamVR layer. Get over to GitHub to all the files and instructions that you need to be gaming on your Vive. It is not a big job at all. If you can read and type, you got this handled.

This is proof-of-concept Robo Recall mod that adds native Vive support. It's called RoboRevive, but it doesn't actually use the Revive compatibility layer. Instead it uses the native SteamVR plugin from the Unreal Engine.

Check out the Robo Recall trailer below. This looks likely to give Raw Data a run for its money.

Now I'm interested in this title... I was interested before, but that took a steep dive when I found out it was Oculus only... PC VR should be PC VR, don't do dumb shit with your products...

It's worth noting that you still have to purchase the game through Oculus Home for this to work... But it's a step in the right direction. Ideally, Epic would put this up on Steam directly.

It's worth noting that you still have to purchase the game through Oculus Home for this to work... But it's a step in the right direction. Ideally, Epic would put this up on Steam directly.
Yep, just bought it! I have no issue paying for it. :)

Reactions: DPI
like this
You do not need to have an Rift attached to your computer to download and install the game. Just skip setup. Downloading now.

I believe the game is free, or does it only show up as free if you have an Oculus attached?

It's alright.

You Vive guys will probably find the teleport system annoying. It's designed for 180 degree in mind (not 360).

When you teleport to a new location, you have to rotate your landing spot to have the arrows facing the direction you want to face. But in a 360 degree setup, you might be turned around so you end up facing backwards. The dev has confirmed there is a fix coming for 360 degree setups sometime this month.

In the meantime, there are mods to fix this issue as well as add full locomotion support. However mods remove you from the campaign / leaderboards is my understanding.

Glad you guys are getting in on this!

The game is free with the purchase of Oculus Touch. If you have a Vive, you don't get it for free.
Gotcha, that's why it was free for me.

It's a great game btw, the 180 degree thing is annoying though. Can't wait for the official fix.

Now I'm interested in this title... I was interested before, but that took a steep dive when I found out it was Oculus only... PC VR should be PC VR, don't do dumb shit with your products...

Confession: Before jumping into VR, I was a big loudmouth screaming NO walled garden, NO platform-lockin, NO exclusivity, NO fragmentation, screw Oculus/Palmer Luckey/Facebook, let Zenimax-rek-them. And then I dove in and purchased a Vive. And it was so compelling that I immediately wanted to understand everything about this space, so I bought a (Oculus) Rift too, and understood a whole lot more.

And what became apparent is that Oculus isn't actually the devil, they're not trying to hold back VR, and in reality has done more for the VR space than anyone - even Valve/HTC. Simply put, Robo Recall would not exist, and would not have been created without Oculus funding the nearly $10 million budget for this game. Epic would never have bothered. And they only were able to fund the game in the first place because store-exclusivity was the business case that convinced or compelled the investor and decision maker to write a check.

There's a long game here, and we can't lose sight of it: the net benefit that big budget titles on any platform bring to the *entire* VR space = more money hydrating VR = everyone benefits. A rising VR tide lifts all VR boats. The best titles will end up on every store platform sooner or later anyway.

Edit: Last October, Mark Zuckerberg revealed that $250 million had been spent on getting VR content produced, with a plan to spend at least that much over again in the coming years.

Last edited:
A lot of people are dissing on 'exlusivity' saying it hurts the overall vr landscape, as mentioned above. There isn't enough consumer money in VR to fund aaa type gaming in this sector, or anything remotely close to it, and without these investments there would be no incentive for developing VR games other than extremely basic indy projects. Even if you make the most mind blowing, soul satisfying, pinnacle of gaming, there's no install base to buy it. Millions of people don't own current high end vr headsets for pc's like a console install base. Until this becomes something other than another extreme niche for pc, getting any type of foward looking game in VR is a product of the money coming from Occuls and to a lesser extent HTC.

Were people screaming when you couldn't play Wii Bowling on Ps4? It didn't stop nintendo from selling 100 Million motion compatible consoles.

I would in most cases be strongly against exclusivity but in this case its different. The biggest problem with VR right now is that it is not at a price where lots of people can enjoy it. This exclusivity will help grow VR in terms of consumers and also pushes development with facebook backed grants for Oculus developers. That means that in exchange for exclusivity consumers are getting lower prices and developers are getting money for development which overall will help push higher demand for the product. I do believe that eventually VR will have enough demand where the exclusivity will be a major hindrance to the growth of the industry but I hope that by that time either facebook has enough consumers to stop its exclusivity campaign or widespread tools will be easily available to run oculus rift games in other device through OpenXR powered software.

Last edited:
like this
Confession: Before jumping into VR, I was a big loudmouth re: anti-walled garden, anti-platform-lockin, anti-exclusivity, anti-Oculus, anti-Facebook, anti-Palmer Luckey, let-Zenimax-rek-them.. And then I dove in and purchased a Vive.. and it was so compelling that I wanted to understand everything about this space, so I bought a (Oculus) Rift too, and understood a little more.

And what is apparent is that Oculus isn't actually the devil trying to "hold back VR", and in reality has done more for the VR space than anyone - even Valve/HTC. Simply put, Robo Recall would not exist, and would not have been created without Oculus funding the nearly $10 million budget for this game. Epic would never have bothered. And they only were able to fund the game in the first place because store-exclusivity was the business case that convinced a decision maker to write a check.

There's a long game here, and we can't lose sight of it: the net benefit that big budget titles on any platform bring to the *entire* VR space = more money hydrating VR = everyone benefits. A rising VR tide floats all VR boats. The best titles will end up on every store platform sooner or later anyway.

Edit: Last October, Mark Zuckerberg revealed that $250 million had been spent on getting VR content produced, with a plan to spend at least that much over again in the coming years.

Very good point.

I'm a big fan of 3d vision. I had some great experiences with the setup. Don't get me wrong, vr is a whole different ballgame. If it weren't for Nvidia paying developers for support I would have never had those experiences. Probably would have gone the route of playstation 3d. No content and support dropped after a few months.

At the end of the day if we want AAA vr content someone needs to foot the bill at this point. Its too much of a niche market for developers to go full in. I'm expecting that to change. A lot of things change with vr. I"m glad to see Oculus ponying up for software. Oculus has content to show. To me thats more important than the hardware revisions that valve has been showing. Probably a lot more expensive as well.

Valve is just in it to keep their monopoly on the pc gaming market. Hell, even I prefer to buy vr content through steam. Its fucking steam, my content isn't going anywhere.

like this
Also, no matter what sale I see I will be waiting 1 year to buy RE7 and only if it has pcvr support.

This really makes me want to get a vive setup... the game looks amazing, but probably still going to wait for a Gen2 model.

Besides, I have two other things on my list that are the same price and probably a little more useful to daily life: a Roomba 960, and a 1080Ti :)

I got it working and it looks friggin awesome, however my HMD is where my feet should be in the game. Makes me feel short. Any ideas for setup?

Got the Z set finally. Running on full graphics and 2.0X supersampling, and it moves without a hitch on Ryzen 1700 at 3.966GHz and Titan X...of course. Fun as hell game.

Reminds me of Binary Domain which I enjoyed very much. There's just something so satisfying shooting robots down to bits.

Back