Robert Hallock to Leave AMD After 12 Years

kac77

2[H]4U

Robert Hallock to Leave AMD After 12 Years

Robert Hallock, AMD's director of technical marketing, is departing the company after 12 years, he announced on LinkedIn(opens in new tab).

Hallock was a public-facing figure at the company, working with the AMD fan community on Reddit, Discord, YouTube and other platforms while also briefing the press.

1663021910940.png

I remember this guy, he was on forums but wasn't affiliated with AMD. It was around the time when the Ashes of the singularity benchmark came out and when Async compute became a buzzword. He was all about Async compute

I thought something was up when he deleted his Twitter account several months ago. I mean, not that I blame him for not wanting to be a part of that burning pile of trash even if it wasn't for this reason.

I wonder if Old Bennett will take a crack at his position. Seems like a good fit imo, Bennett still nerds out over this stuff.

Wasn't this also sort of what Kyle was going to do with Intel?

I wonder if Old Bennett will take a crack at his position. Seems like a good fit imo, Bennett still nerds out over this stuff.

Maybe, but if it didn't work out at Intel why would AMD be any different.

That said, I think Robert lives in Texas which might make it more appealing if they have offices there.

Maybe, but if it didn't work out at Intel why would AMD be any different.

That said, I think Robert lives in Texas which might make it more appealing if they have offices there.

I thought Kyle left Intel for family obligations or emergency or something of the sort, or am I misremembering, or was that just a 'graceful exit'?

Did he just get fired first day on the job for cursing and breaking stuff basically when they told him 'eat the chip, bigot'?

I (presumably) know Kyle can't say anything

And shame we lost the reviews for something that didn't work out very long anyway 😥

And shame we lost the reviews for something that didn't work out very long anyway 😥
Print review sites were dying before that. I think Kyle (in one of his blogs?) said something to that effect. Everything was shifting to the "techtuber"/influencer model. And while it would have been interesting to see it happen, I dont think Kyle is going to jump around on camera like a jackass (e.g. Linus).

You were probably going to lose HardOCP reviews either way.

Print review sites were dying before that. I think Kyle (in one of his blogs?) said something to that effect. Everything was shifting to the "techtuber"/influencer model. And while it would have been interesting to see it happen, I dont think Kyle is going to jump around on camera like a jackass (e.g. Linus).

You were probably going to lose HardOCP reviews either way.
I'm seeing Gamer's Nexus as what HardOCP would be if HardOCP made the transition to YouTube

agreed. GN is no Kyle/HardOCP.

Edit: but i think i get what the previous poster was getting at. I likened Kyle to going full blown Linus - which would be funny, but not going to happen. I think the poster was saying techtubed HardOCP would be more like GN. Which I agree, the content would be more like GN than LTT.
But there is no way Kyle as a 'tuber would be like Steve from GN.

Reactions: Angry
like this
agreed. GN is no Kyle/HardOCP.

Edit: but i think i get what the previous poster was getting at. I likened Kyle to going full blown Linus - which would be funny, but not going to happen. I think the poster was saying techtubed HardOCP would be more like GN. Which I agree, the content would be more like GN than LTT.
But there is no way Kyle as a 'tuber would be like Steve from GN.

I meant Steve drones on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on..........

Hard to look at the material/benchmarks when he puts you to sleep

And the 'site and graphs only' of theirs is trash

HW Unboxed is alright IMO

And the 'site and graphs only' of theirs is trash
agreed. "articles" are just transcripts from youtube content.

Steve needs views -longer people watch, his engagement goes up. hence why he drones on and on.

agreed. "articles" are just transcripts from youtube content.

Steve needs views -longer people watch, his engagement goes up. hence why he drones on and on.

Nah, he might keep it going for that, but it's just the type of person he is, it was like that from the start

Like Andy Ihnatko if you unfortunately know who that is

Some people you can't talk to about anything at all because you're just like "OMG someone land this plane already!"

Edit: and besides HWU, Wendell/Level1 is aright, but he gets right up to the edge sometimes, "ok let's wrap it up buddy" - when you're trying to find info that's scattershot throughout the entirety of War and Peace, you can't even just 'watch the part you want and be done with it'

Last edited:
Nah, he might keep it going for that, but it's just the type of person he is, it was like that from the start

Like Andy Ihnatko if you unfortunately know who that is

Some people you can't talk to about anything at all because you're just like "OMG someone land this plane already!"

Edit: and besides HWU, Wendell/Level1 is aright, but he gets right up to the edge sometimes, "ok let's wrap it up buddy" - when you're trying to find info that's scattershot throughout the entirety of War and Peace, you can't even just 'watch the part you want and be done with it'
I like me some Wendel.

Na. I am a fan of Hallok, but that position would not be my jam.
I thought Kyle left Intel for family obligations or emergency or something of the sort, or am I misremembering, or was that just a 'graceful exit'?

Did he just get fired first day on the job for cursing and breaking stuff basically when they told him 'eat the chip, bigot'?

I (presumably) know Kyle can't say anything

Long story short, son had cancer, Intel pushed me to move from TX much more quickly than agreed at hiring. I bailed. Funny thing though if the whole company went WFH right after that. All said, I am glad I am not there.

All that other B.S. aside, for the better IMO, plus your job would probably be on the chopping block with the state of * gestures everywhere *
I was told yesterday that there were going to be significant layoffs at Intel.

And to my knowledge, Robert is not headed there.

Holy Crap I honestly thought that guy was going to be an AMD lifer. If he really is taking time off and doesn't have another position in mind that blows my mind. I didn't grow up wealthy and have had to grind for everything I have. The thought of voluntarily quitting with no position ready to go on the other side is crazy foreign to me. Must be nice to have have kind of faith in yourself or a network big enough to know you'll find something when you want to.

Holy Crap I honestly thought that guy was going to be an AMD lifer. If he really is taking time off and doesn't have another position in mind that blows my mind. I didn't grow up wealthy and have had to grind for everything I have. The thought of voluntarily quitting with no position ready to go on the other side is crazy foreign to me. Must be nice to have have kind of faith in yourself or a network big enough to know you'll find something when you want to.
I was told he already had a job, however not my place to say. I am sure he would be welcome at many tech companies.

As a "teacher of information" I can easily say NEXT!
And I hope in the name of diversity she is hot as we don't need no mansplaning in my tech briefs :D

Please explain.

I don't think it was Hallock (though he was there for it) but they had that one marketing (?) guy on Twitter and forums and with the fanbois that was just a complete shit-stirrer IIRC - I wish I could remember because it was a while ago and he got fired I think - dunno if that's what he was thinking about.

I don't think it was Hallock (though he was there for it) but they had that one marketing (?) guy on Twitter and forums and with the fanbois that was just a complete shit-stirrer IIRC - I wish I could remember because it was a while ago and he got fired I think - dunno if that's what he was thinking about.
Thinking about Richard Huddy? :)

Back