Roaming profiles with Vista machines and Win 2K3 server?

rpeters83

Gawd
Is this possible? I have a win 2K3 server and several vista machines. I DO have a copy of Win 2K8 if that's required.

Also, does anyone happen to know of a good tutorial for setting this up? All the Vista machines are Home Premium. Thanks!

no /thread

is there any alternative? Manually setting AppData and other folders to a common set (for each user) on a network share? Thanks.

no /thread

is there any alternative? Manually setting AppData and other folders to a common set (for each user) on a network share? Thanks.
I'm no expert but I believe you need AD to use Roaming Profiles.

The only thing you could do is to create a share and individual folders. Then on each machine, target the individual folders in the user folder to that share's folders, so that all data is saved on the server, seamlessly to the users. Then you just need to back up one shared folder to get everyone.

/thread

I'm no expert but I believe you need AD to use Roaming Profiles.

The only thing you could do is to create a share and individual folders. Then on each machine, target the individual folders in the user folder to that share's folders, so that all data is saved on the server, seamlessly to the users. Then you just need to back up one shared folder to get everyone.

/thread
AD on the server or on the client? I have AD active on the server. It's windows 2003 server standard. thanks.

You can't join Home Premium to a domain or utilize other advanced networking features like roaming user profiles. Period.

Back