Roaming Profile issue

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
I am trying to get roaming profiles to work on Windows Server 2008 R2 RC and Windows 7 RC. Whenever I log on with a user with a roaming profile path set, it keeps creating a TEMP profile. According to event viewer this is the error message "Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off." Event ID is 1511.

I have a folder called Profiles to store all the roaming profiles and its share name is Profiles$. However, even though the log in failed and I am stuck using the temp profile, it still creates a folder with the username.v2 in the Profiles$ share. Even though this folder is created, all its subfolders such as Documents are not created. Any ideas? Do I need to create some kind of template or something?

Well whats also weird is when I try to log on onto the server/domain controller as the Administrator I also get that profile cant be made error and is using a TEMP profile. I have roaming profiles disabled on the server via Group Policy so only local profiles can be used. I been using my username to manage the server and this is the first time logging onto the server with the Administrator account so a profile has to be made for it.

are you sure there aren't any events from attempting to load the local profile?

and is the folder holding the profiles accessible by the users?

we setup the Profiles folder as a shared folder, we don't hide it with the $

sounds like a share permission issue. make sure users have full control to the profiles folder on the server as well as the share.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

sounds like a share permission issue. make sure users have full control to the profiles folder on the server as well as the share.

personally, I would limit the permissions to read/view/list folder contents on the Profiles folder, but then provide full perms on their specific profile folder.

That way you don't have to worry about any body accidentally (or not) deleting somebody else's folder.

oh.. and do their profile folders already exist?

I basically followed this guide from Technet to set up the permissions: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737633(WS.10).aspx

I dont think its a permission issue though as I can create folders, files, and everything in the share.

With it messing up even logging in locally in the server, I think its something to do with the Default Profile folder.

There profile folders do not exist. I am having the system create it. It creates there username.v2 folder but then doesnt create its subfolders.

When I log into the server as Administrator, event viewer gives me these two errors:

Windows has backed up this user profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backup profile the next time this user logs on. Event ID 1515

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off. Event ID 1511

I also have a warning that says:

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. Event ID 1530

However this warning isnt created everytime I log into the server as administrator. I think it may be when I restarted the server hoping that iron out this problem.

personally, I would limit the permissions to read/view/list folder contents on the Profiles folder, but then provide full perms on their specific profile folder.

That way you don't have to worry about any body accidentally (or not) deleting somebody else's folder.

oh.. and do their profile folders already exist?

You give the root of the share full control to all users. Windows Server is smart enough to set the permissions accordingly on each user's profile folder to prevent what you're talking about. that way you don't have manage individual folder permissions for hundreds of users.

So any suggestions on what might be going wrong?

Try setting share and folder permissons to allow the everyone group full control and see what happens. Still sounds like a permissions issue to me, have seen this a ton of times.

You mentioned you could create folders under the Profiles$ share, have you tried with other users at all?

Try setting share and folder permissons to allow the everyone group full control and see what happens. Still sounds like a permissions issue to me, have seen this a ton of times.

You mentioned you could create folders under the Profiles$ share, have you tried with other users at all?

So for the NTFS and Share permissions, give the Everyone group Full Control permissions and see what happens?

So for the NTFS and Share permissions, give the Everyone group Full Control permissions and see what happens?

yep, if that works then you know its a permission issue. If it doesn't then you know you need to look somewhere else. I typically always set the permissions on profile and folder redirection folders to either everyone full control or domain users full control. Windows Server is smart enough to set the permissions on the sub-folders correctly so other people, including domain admins, can't go snooping without taking ownership.

Back