RMBP: Stability issues

bleomycin

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,

I wanted to see if any other RMBP owners out there have been experiencing stability issues, specifically whole machine lockups to a grey screen followed by a forced reboot? This happened to me twice yesterday, once immediately after resuming from "sleep" and the second after quitting team fortress 2. If i had to guess it is graphics switching related, i paste-binned the crash log here: http://pastebin.com/jjrg19cn

I'm probably going to memtest overnight just to be sure it isn't at least an obvious hardware issue.

Take it to Apple if it keeps happening. I bought a Gen 1 Week 1 Day 1 white MacBook in 2006 and had to take it back to them 3 times in 3 months. This is normal for a new gen stuff.

Take it to Apple if it keeps happening. I bought a Gen 1 Week 1 Day 1 white MacBook in 2006 and had to take it back to them 3 times in 3 months. This is normal for a new gen stuff.

Yeah, i'm hoping to deal with that as a last resort. There are some serious software issues they need to work out as it is so i'm hoping this is just something that will be resolved in an update. I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced it as well.

Looks like you have both Parallels and VirtualBox installed. Both good pieces of software, but I wonder if they may have some compatibility issues with the new hardware. I would try uninstalling them if it happens again and then load test.

Looks like you have both Parallels and VirtualBox installed. Both good pieces of software, but I wonder if they may have some compatibility issues with the new hardware. I would try uninstalling them if it happens again and then load test.

Just happened again, i'm saving all of these crashlogs for now. I removed parallels since it isn't compatible with ubuntu 12.04 or linux mint 13 which makes it useless to me anyways. I'm experiencing a lot of random graphic glitches in chrome canary running the 1920x1200 scaled resolution, entire portions of pages become "smeared" and only closing the tab and opening a new one resolves it. I can't use firefox because text is blurry, and lastpass doesn't have binary features in safari (which also lags like crazy) making it useless to me. I'm beginning to think this laptop isn't ready for daily use, I might try returning it while i can with a folder full of crashlogs. The only applications i have installed/use are parallels, virtualbox, firefox, chrome, steam, TF2, diablo 3, iterm, xcode, trillian, and hyperdock. The only things even running when a crash occurs are chrome, hyperdock, steam and maybe iterm.

Maybe you should wait a little bit for software to get updated? You're using some software that will probably benefit from an update or two.

I own a Retina MBP and I'm not having any issues what so ever. Take it to an Apple store and have the Genius Bar guys look it over. They have diagnostic tools that might find out whats going on with your laptop.

Last edited:
No issues with mine either..I'd try it without Parallels for a bit and see.

Thanks for the replies, are either of you using chrome canary at 1920x1200 resolution? Have you experienced any of the graphical glitches and tab freezes that i have?

I'm not using any versions of chrome right now, only Safari. I am seeing issues with full screen quicktime videos (renders half the video off screen) but almost everything else works great. Once Apple irons out the kinks with the scaling and video rendering on this new display we should be good to go.

Seems like these issues are fairly widespread, with chrome as a possible culprit, lots of people with problems here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1387984 I've upgraded to mountain lion DP4 and stopped using chrome and so far so good. Safari scrolling is smooth again and will keep me content until firefox gets thei'r act together. TF2 runs a ton better as well which makes me extremely happy!

Bet any money Vbox is crashing it. It has issues with wifi network connections.

Just a note that Chrome Canary on OS X currently is just a bit buggy - that's the nature of the build. I get the page smearing on my Macbook Air as well, though not on my Windows desktop.

Back