RMAing Defective MSI Motherboard with damage

S

sonsonate

So about a year ago, I got an:

MSI H110I Pro AC LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

and it was defective. The bluetooth never worked, from day one, no matter what. Tried switching the wireless module out of my Gigabyte board into the MSI since I didn't really need the BT feature and that did not work. Fast forward to now, finally got a board that works from the F/S section and it works fine and it's all good.

So I want to RMA the board so I can get a replacement with working BT, etc. Looking over the board, I realize the USB 3.0 Header is missing a pin and MSI's webpage says the board shouldn't have any physical defects from user negligence, blah, blah, blah.

Do I let them know that it has some damage before sending it in? Also, anyone know if this will cause me to lose warranty coverage since the board was already defective from day one?

This is the board and one can look at the user reviews and see it is busted. My review is under the name Rita G.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130929

I rma'd a board to msi for bent cpu pins that I admitted was my fault (expecting them to say f you), to my surprise they paid shipping both ways and sent me a new board for nothing. I think you'll be ok telling them.

I rma'd a board to msi for bent cpu pins that I admitted was my fault (expecting them to say f you), to my surprise they paid shipping both ways and sent me a new board for nothing. I think you'll be ok telling them.

Thanks for the reply, I went ahead and emailed them. Guess I'll see how this goes, lolol.

you should be fine. the only way they'd deny it is if they can prove you were the one that damaged it, e.g. with a screw driver or something. just make sure you take pictures of it and show them the defect to the board before sending it in and for yourself in case they try to send you back the same board after claiming it was fixed(msi's not really known for doing that but you never know)

All USB 3 headers are missing a pin so you don't plug the cable in backwards. Unless you mean it's missing ANOTHER pin...

All USB 3 headers are missing a pin so you don't plug the cable in backwards. Unless you mean it's missing ANOTHER pin...

Right, another one popped off. I emailed them last night and they replied pretty fast, within an hour to say it didn't matter. Thank Gerd. Now to send the board in and see if that holds true.

For something like that, I always feel it's best to lay all cards on the table unless you want to plan on blaming it on shipping damage. Worst they'll do is deny, and unless it's imperative I get it, f them, I'll never buy again. If I absolutely need it and can afford no other option, I'm not above a little white lie.

This is why I buy my motherboards from Microcenter, and it's the ONLY thing I buy the extra warranty for. Don't even bother with repairs, just a straight trade-in for what I paid for it. If the model I had is EOL, I get a different model. I'd never be able to bother with a MB RMA, I don't have any spares laying around and I need my desktop daily.

It must be Asus's American RMA facility that sucks.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Canadian facility.

Alrighty guys, they were really prompt all the way around. Replacement board was out in a day. I'd say there process isn't as polished as EVGA, but one does not have to create an account to get service and they're really fast to respond.

Since this thing went through, I decided to try to RMA my modded XFX DD R9 290x and they also allowed me to RMA even with a cut in the baseplate to allow for a VRM heatsink. They're sending me an R9 390x 8GB. Huge Sigh of Relief. PHEW!

Back