RMA'ing an i7-6700K: friggin' ATPO number???

c3k

2[H]4U
Folks,

Intel is good. ;) I've had an i7-6700K-based build since March. It's had one or two minor stability issues, and I've finally narrowed it down. Running iterative loops of Intel's Processor Diagnostic Tool, I've discovered that the cpu fails the Floating Point test.

(Cool note: it passes a lot, but will occasionally fail. Just running the Floating Point test and looping it, it'll take anywhere from 1 to 160 passes before it fails. This points out the need to run diagnostics more than once.)

Whatever...the point: a quick phone call to Intel, a description of the issue and the test results, and I can get a cross-shipped RMA.

The hitch? They need the friggin' ATPO. That's a 2D encoded series of squares on the chip. Really? Their FAQ says to use a 3-5x macro zoom on a cellphone and use a decrypter and then send in the number.

C'mon. Really?

Anyone know how to read these things?

Ken ATPO Image.jpg

I"ve RMA'd an CPU to Intel and they never asked me for that. I think I just had to give the serial numbers from the box and what-not.

Well, I sent them that photo and they said good enough. So...no need for an ATPO deciphering setup.

Thanks,
Ken

Read ATPO Serial Numbers for Intel® Boxed Processors

LOL; that's just...crazy.

But serial numbers will do as well. Since its a 6700K, I think they know it can only be under warranty.

Yeah, when I got the email, "just give us the FPO and ATPO", I thought, "sure". Then I followed that link and I was like, "umm, no." The picture I sent (posted above) was sufficient. Heck, I probably didn't even need to send them that. The RMA approval was simple. I could not have hoped for a simpler, more customer friendly, process. Of course, I don't have the new one in hand, yet. ;)

Ken

Yeah, when I got the email, "just give us the FPO and ATPO", I thought, "sure". Then I followed that link and I was like, "umm, no." The picture I sent (posted above) was sufficient. Heck, I probably didn't even need to send them that. The RMA approval was simple. I could not have hoped for a simpler, more customer friendly, process. Of course, I don't have the new one in hand, yet. ;)

Ken

Do they track the market segment via the ATPO code? I would guess that would be the only reason why they would need something like that, but a serial number should still suffice. My assumption would be that it was less about whether or not the CPU is still under warranty and more about whether or not they would handle the exchange directly or if you would have to go through a reseller/OEM due to the nature of how you acquired the CPU in the first place.

On a side note, it is a rare day that a CPU from Intel actually needs to be RMA'd in my experience, so I am glad that they are handling the process well, even if their methods seem a bit complex.

On a side note, it is a rare day that a CPU from Intel actually needs to be RMA'd in my experience, so I am glad that they are handling the process well, even if their methods seem a bit complex.

Ditto. I've only had one bad intel cpu (which was probably due to my hammer-and-vice method of delidding). This one has been treated with kid gloves. Tough to track down the floating point failure. It's not every loop/every test. I'm sure, somewhere in the reams of data I've compiled, there's a clue. Shrug.

Very surprised and happy at how easy the RMA seems to be.

Update.

Day 1, call intel and describe issue. intel tech and I exchange information. He sends an email, approving an RMA.
Day 2, a call from the RMA department to get the credit card info for the cross-shipping RMA. (My choice: I could've sent in the bad chip and waited to get a new chip. I preferred a cross-ship.)
Day 3, new chip sitting in a box on my doorstep.

Color me impressed.

(Of course, I left on a 4 day trip early on Day 3, so I have yet to install and test the new chip...)

The responsiveness of their customer support was outstanding.

Ken

Back