RMAed a BFG 8800GTX, Got a 9800 GT OC (1GB) in return

Stanley Pain

2[H]4U
So the question would be is this an equivalent replacement?

More vram, less stream processors, MUCH smaller card. Hard to find any benchmarks of the 1GB OC version.

This same thing just happened to a friend of mine...and in his case, he lost performance in both COD-4 and COD-5..the only games he plays....he lost framerates and that nice fluid feel .

He fought them for a good month, and they finally sent him a 260 as a replacement.

IMHO the 9800GT is not as good a card as the 8800GTX.

EDIT:
compare them here ..The 8800GTX stomps it in bandwidth and pixle fill rate

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=575&card2=474

9800gt is a small step down from a gtx. BUT I would take it anyways. Better cooling, new smaller core, less power consumption and close performance to the gtx.

That's pretty much the arguement I've been having with BFG. They keep citing clock/mem speeds, and I keep coming back with less ACTUAL processors. Need to run some benchmarks to see what's up.

I would call BFG and complain. You should at least get a 8800 GTS 1GB, or GTS 250 1GB. I would go for a GTX 260, since you spent so much money on the card.

On top of the less SPs, there is less bandwidth too (256-bit vs 384-bit).

Try PMing the BFG rep on the forums.

Yea call them again and complain and see if you can get a GTX260 for a little xtra cash!!

Call, don't email. Do not waste time typing seriously. 10min convo where you are stern (but not screaming) should get you a greater than or equal replacement.

No matter the difference in specs its the same performance. I have had both in my main rig and there is no performance difference at all (1920x1200 4xaa/8xaf). The 9800GT is smaller and draws less power. So its an overall better design.

would def take a 280 in return :). I am afraid this is going to happen to me also, as I just had a bfg 8800 gtx, and need to rma it, however I have a SLI setup, so anything other then a 8800 gtx wont work for me, unless they would like to upgrade me to something that is better the the SLI setup.

OP - I believe that you were sent the wrong card by mistake. The replacement card should not have been the 9800 GT 1GB. I can look into why that happened, but in the meantime can you send me your contact information and RMA number via PM so I can get this taken care of for you?

Thanks.

OP - I believe that you were sent the wrong card by mistake. The replacement card should not have been the 9800 GT 1GB. I can look into why that happened, but in the meantime can you send me your contact information and RMA number via PM so I can get this taken care of for you?

Thanks.

Wow! Nice.

Thanks.

Woah, awesome! Sending PM :D

Thanks.

what a standup guy... good deal :)

BFG <3<3<3<3++++

Thanks again for the help Jeff. It's great to see this kind of customer support.

If Jeff's boss reads these forums, give the man a raise, he deserves it ;).

This is why I buy BFG parts. I have had nothing but good support from them.

I had two BFG 6800 GT's years ago (still kicking around in spare computers). One died when it was in my main rig, and the whole RMA process was quick and painless.

When I finally part with my 8800 GTX (2.5 years and still going strong), I will look to see what BFG has to offer.

A 9800GT is the same as an 8800GT which is 2 steps down from an 8800GTX.

You got the shaft and I would be pissed. GJ BFG for taking care of this issue though.

I wonder if AVA Joe is listening? He'd probably blame the OP for not making the right GPU choice and charge him 15% restocking on that 9800GT and make him pay return shipping.

Some people here would beg to differ link

But nonetheless BFG once again comes to the rescue (though I dont see a reason for it).

You did read that article carefully didn't you? They were able to use a higher shadow quality setting in Crysis with the 8800 GTX and it took an SLI 8800 GT set up to equal an 8800 GTX in UT3. Yes, Jeff is doing the right thing helping the O.P..

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=571&card2=474#
EDIT:
compare them here ..The 8800GTX stomps it in bandwidth and pixle fill rate

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=575&card2=474

Thanks for linking to my site sir! We really appreciate it when people use our site to help others.

Thanks.

Love it! This is why BFG deserves its place at the top of American video card manufacturers.

OP, let me know what you end up getting for your RMA and I will post a short post about this
on my site. BFG deserves to be recognized for stuff like this.

It looks like the overclocked BFG GTS 250 comes in right below the 8800 GTX but a 65nm GTX 260
or 55nm GTX 260 would a great step-up.

From the 9,000 series, the BFG 9800 GTX+ OC seems just about right.

Last edited:
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=571&card2=474#

Thanks for linking to my site sir! We really appreciate it when people use our site to help others.

Love it! This is why BFG deserves its place at the top of American video card manufacturers.

OP, let me know what you end up getting for your RMA and I will post a short post about this
on my site. BFG deserves to be recognized for stuff like this.

It looks like the overclocked BFG GTS 250 comes in right below the 8800 GTX but a 65nm GTX 260
or 55nm GTX 260 would a great step-up.

From the 9,000 series, the BFG 9800 GTX+ OC seems just about right.

The 1GB GTS250 is actually significantly faster than a 8800/9800 GTX at higher resolutions/in game settings. At least from all the reviews I've been checking out.

Very cool webpage though :D

I would not accept a 9800gt card as a replacement. This is what sapphire does with their cards...send you less when yours is unavailable.

Hmn my 8800 GTX is in EVGA RMA right now.

Wonder what they will send me :D

Im in the same boat right now, i got one 8800ultra that is having overheating memory issues and would like to RMA it but also have another one which works fine, but I dont wanna not have SLI if I do RMA. Would they take both? lol And not going to rma and sell the other card to buy what ever they send me, not atm.

EVGA had an option on their RMA form asking if the part was in a SLI system.

Ask them :)

This kind of service is awesome.

This post was definitely a contributing factor in my decision to buy a BFG card (just ordered it). Definitely awesome.

This post was definitely a contributing factor in my decision to buy a BFG card (just ordered it). Definitely awesome.

Love to hear that!

I hope you don't have any problems with your new card, though if you do you know where to find me :D

I guess I might as well chime in on this thread also as I wouldnt buy a card from any other company other than BFG. They handled my 2 rma's with such fast and problem free service that I would look nowhere else. Thanks BFG and keep up the great work.

Yeah. BFG really takes care of it's customers. I recently received an RMA on my 8800GTS 512, but the card's PCI bracket was bent. They sent an advanced RMA out today to replace it. I've got my fingers crossed for a newer card, but either way, the service is excellent.

yup, I've always been an EVGA guy but after seeing this kind of customer service, my next card will deff. be a BFG

I just RMA'd a motherboard with BFG .. I'm extremely satisfied with their customer service and RMA process

The phone tech guy had the motherboard codes memorized .. pretty impressive

I thought they did. They are also located in Quebec or is that just their warehouse?

Not quite sure. But anytime I've asked for one, they say they can't do it. NAFTA strikes again. Probably has something to do with draconian customs regulations or something.

lol they replaced an 8800GTX with a 9800GT? which is a rebadged 8800GT.. sounds more like a loss then a gain to me.. but hey its better then a refurbed 8800GTX so it has its plus's and minus's..

Back