RMA'ed a 5870 for artifacting, replacement does same thing.

• Thread starter Deleted member 89137
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89137

I was having issues getting artifacts with my card all over my desktop, and in games as well. It got to the point where the graphics drivers would repeatedly crash and I sent it to Gigabyte for RMA. They claim to have replaced the graphics chip and tested the card and sent it back to me. I got it back on Friday, and it's giving me the same artifacts on my desktop. I was actually able to capture the artifacts by hitting print screen. They went away when I moved the window around. Temperatures are low, I see a low of 31c and a high of 67c under full load.

Other components are

Asus Sabertooth p67
4gb of ddr3
i5 2500k
corsair TX 750 PSU
G.skill SSD 64gb
1tb western digital.
Windows 7 x64 ultimate

Related, or not, I have a 9800gt that I used previously to the 5870. I was having issues with that card before I pulled it, such as not being able to get a temperature reading and not being able to control the fan speed, as well as the system locking up in some games. After running it the last week, the card is completely dead, I get artifacts (green vertical lines) on the boot screens and the system locks up at the windows logo.

I don't know if the graphics card is the problem but it seems likely that the graphics card is damaged at this point. I'm afraid to start troubleshooting as this is 3 graphics cards with similar symptoms on the same machine. I am going to call Gigabyte and see what they have to say.

Any ideas what my problem might be?

qQzb8.jpg

Well, power supply would be my first thought.

But also keep in mind that they sent you a refurb 5870. The last 2 years, any 5870 you buy (or get back from a manufacturer) was probably beaten around the block bitcoin mining since they were the top performing card for that (better than the 6 series).

If it were anything but a 5870, I would say it is unlikely you got 2 duds in a row. With that model, its possible. Have any friends with a comparable system near by you could swap it into?

I wouldn't be surprised if they just sent you the same one back.

Yeah , i usually do something like on each screw make a black mark with permanent marker or something to know if they sent me the same one back or not . Had MSI Trying to say " We replaced it with another one and when i told them i did this they got butt hurt and paid for shipping and advanced RMA so i won all around .

Most likely this

"replaced the graphics chip"

what

When they sent it back to me they send me an email that says something like we have tested your devices and shipped back to you. So I call them and say why didn't you replace the card, and the guy said they replaced the chip. Nobody has anything to say about the 9800gt dying?

When they sent it back to me they send me an email that says something like we have tested your devices and shipped back to you. So I call them and say why didn't you replace the card, and the guy said they replaced the chip. Nobody has anything to say about the 9800gt dying?

It sounds like they sent the same card back to you. Do you have another system you could test the card in?

I don't know what to think about your 9800gt. Have you tried different drivers for your 5870? I can't picture them soldering in a new chip, that must mean they gave you a different card. Is it the same serial number as your original card?

They claim to have replaced the graphics chip and tested the card and sent it back to me.

They just shipped it back hoping that you would decide getting them to honor the warranty was more trouble than it's worth.

Related, or not, I have a 9800gt that I used previously to the 5870...

Sounds unrelated, if you can test the 'new' video card in another motherboard it would be ideal. If that's not practical I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

Any ideas what my problem might be?

You trusted Gigabyte's RMA department to do their job.

Now the artifacts are showing up in the shape of swastikas. I'm Jewish and concerned.

I3dZQ.png

This isn't a joke, I promise you that is what I am actually seeing, no trolling or anything. Unreal, huh.

THank you for laughs, loved the swastika part... Jeez id be pissed but first would have test with diff psu.. the fact they "switched" the chip (prob was ram chip?) ment there was something wrong with it.. id ask for a cross ship,.. asus once took 4 rma to get me a working motherboard.

Now me I always on a new card make sure its sitting tight on the GPU. But like others I have RMA'd cards. One was to Asus over heating and no fan working. So I get the card back.. I could tell it was mine. Said they tested it and no problems. So I stick it in and still no fan.. I open it up this time and the wires were not connected to the plug.. I though how in the world did they test it.. I just rewired it myself..

Some places do just stick it in for a min or two and if something pops on the screen DONE! Fixed.

Nice, you're getting a slight upgrade (much more in newer dx11 games) with a nice reduction in power consumption.

Back