RMA'd a black, now I'm getting a blue...

The Tom Bomb

Limp Gawd
I did an advance RMA for a WD Black 640GB (WD6401AALS) and I just checked my e-mail today and it seems I'm getting a WD Blue 1TB (WD10EALS) as a replacement. Should I be pissed about getting a blue over a black? Speed is more important than size because this is my games install drive.

The 1TB blue with 2 500 GB platters is probably faster than the 640GB black with 2 320 GB platters.

Speed is more important than size because this is my games install drive.
If that's the case why not just Google the specs?

Or am I missing something here?

I did an advance RMA for a WD Black 640GB (WD6401AALS) and I just checked my e-mail today and it seems I'm getting a WD Blue 1TB (WD10EALS) as a replacement. Should I be pissed about getting a blue over a black? Speed is more important than size because this is my games install drive.

You shouldn't be pissed at this point: Most likely the WD6401AALS is slower in sequential transfers than any 1TB Blue WD10EALS: only 108 MB/s maximum for most 640GB Blacks versus about 126 MB/s for the 1TB Blue.

And the reason why you got a WD10EALS instead of a WD6401AALS is that WD has just discontinued the production of the WD6401AALS model, and the warranty facility does not have any more WD6401AALS drives in their inventory. Thus, WD shipped you a drive of comparable monetary value to what you sent in. You'd end up losing only about 1ms of random access speed compared to the Black; however, 13-ish ms versus 12-ish ms is hardly anything worth moaning about.

Back