RMA turnaround time

Choder

[H]ard|Gawd
It's been a long time since I last had to RMA a video card.

Those that have had to do it in the last few years, what's the turnaround time?

I'm on week 5 of an MSI RMA, as in, they have had it since November 27th. I understand the holidays can delay things, but I'm starting to feel like it shouldn't take this long to get another card in the mail to me.

Going forward, I'm very unlikely to buy another MSI product simply because I don't want to be without a motherboard or video card for such a long period of time. If I didn't already have another video card, I would probably have bought another already and would sell the returned card when it came back from MSI.

What vendors have a better return policy? As I recall, EVGA would offer to send a new card, in exchange for putting a hold on your credit card. A hold that would be removed once they received the defective card. Is that still the case? Are there other vendors with a similar return policy?

I've had good success with Gigabyte RMAs.

My mining operation has produced several VRM flameouts and Gigabyte simply shipped me new cards once they received / examined the burned up ones. A couple of those cards were even Ebay third-party buys which Gigabyte honored. They do warranties based on the serial numbers.

Thanks for your input. My other card is a gigabyte, and up until now, I had considered it to be the lesser of the two. I guess I'll see how things go over the next week. Hopefully MSI gets a replacement out to me soon.

EVGA has an advance replacement program, but you need to pay $35 for it and it only works once. (Meaning if they mess up and send you a defective return it'll still be consumed)

My current RMA with EVGA has been going on for 3 months and I don't plan to buy anything from them again. It has just been a horrendously bad experience.

Asus also has an advance replacement program, although I've never used it so I can't give any info on that.

Corsair has the absolute best RMA turn around on the limited occasions that I needed to use it. Their turn around time is very quick and if they have insufficient stock they warn you ahead of time. They also provide advance replacements for power supplies. I wish would start selling gpus.

Slow turn around times on RMA does suck but as long as they send me back a working product in good condition the first time around they're alright in my book.

They acknowledged that I was sent defective replacements on multiple occasions. I had already experienced this very same situation on my first rma with them two years ago and now it's repeating itself again.

Juggling packages back and forth is time consuming (especially when the ups office is an hour away) and asking them for a prepaid label for the defective merchandise they sent me is like asking them to loan me money.

Like I said not going to touch them ever again. It's not like they make any good products nowadays anyways. Their newer motherboards are terrible, mediocre non-reference gpus outclassed by the matrix and lightning, overpriced reference gpus, and psu rebrands.

Call them and sound mad. What i did with Asus, and i had my motherboard back that week. Of course after the 4 week "process" of sorting,poking, and prodding.

That is absolutely unacceptable. Tell them you'll be taking your experience to multiple top computer forums and recommending people switch brands. This always works for me if a company is goofing off. Don't say which forums by name of course, you don't want to do that.

I know everyone disses XFX but my RMA with them was only a week total time. They were ready to send out a new card within 2 days of when they received it.

XFX has/had a bad video card reputation based on several cards they put out with unstable / untested factory overclocks (IIRC). We actually got some of those at work as OEM cards in some workstations, and they all went bad (~4 workstations) over the next 8-24 months. We weren't the only ones, as several boards and hardware sites reported the issues. And then a year or two later it happened again with different cards. At that point, again IIRC, XFX discontinued their lifetime warranty policies. I can understand a financially unsustainable warranty model, but doing it on the heels of two successive defective card launches, it soiled their name for a while.

Overall though, I don't think I've heard bad things about XFX warranty procedures after that time period - in fact I'm pretty sure I've read 'good' threads about their warranty procedures in the last year on other sites.

Compared to the warranty policies / times of Taiwanese / Chinese and other Asian companies like Acer, ASUS, MSI, etc., I'm pretty sure they'd be better.

It is pretty standard policy for companies like Asus or MSI for a 10 business day turnaround on RMAs. Assuming ground shipping both ways taking up to 4 days, that adds up to a month, assuming no delay for holidays. Given it's been 5 weeks, they've had plenty of time to sort things out. Sounds like it's time to start demanding answers from supervisors.

To me, a five weeks is not too bad considering the holidays. Maybe if it wasn't the Christmas season, then I would be a bit peeved. A call to customer service wouldn't hurt though, maybe there's an explanation for the long wait.

I've been lucky. I haven't had to RMA anything in the past several years except an MSI 7950, which was processed in about 2 1/2 weeks. It had a bad fan bearing, and they had no replacements so they refunded me. I paid $225 for it on Amazon, pre-mining craze, and received a refund of $280 from MSI.

I would buy their products again.
I just did an RMA with MSI, sent back a 290 and got back a 290x!
Sweet.

Corsair has the absolute best RMA turn around on the limited occasions that I needed to use it. Their turn around time is very quick and if they have insufficient stock they warn you ahead of time. They also provide advance replacements for power supplies. I wish would start selling gpus.

I agree. I had to RMA Corsair ram once because 1 ram module was failing memtest, they sent me 4 new ram modules from Taiwan (IIRC) with UPS after they reserved cash from my credit card. I had the package after 9 days, then I shipped my old 4 ram modules to Corsair Netherlands with the shipping label that they sent me and I received my cash back when they got the package.

u0yHWUB.png

Corsair has good support and good RMA policy.

Last edited:
I'm sending out my EVGA 670 today. I really hope its not three months. The RMA approval came in 5m after I sent the email. I mean, that looks like good news? Right? Please? I hope?

When my MSI 780 died I drove to one of the RMA repair centers and they replaced it right there. They gave me a lightning because they didn't have the twin frozr.

When my MSI 780 died I drove to one of the RMA repair centers and they replaced it right there. They gave me a lightning because they didn't have the twin frozr.

Yea, its funny how they will exchange things.

I sent in an i5 asus ROG laptop, they didnt have the parts and asked if I wanted to wait. I said, what are you offering? I ended up with a step up of the same laptop family, an i7 and better gpu! :D

Just got off the phone with MSI and they say they just don't have any 7950 TF3's to send me. So they are sending a 7970 TF3 instead. Works for me.

Going thru with a RMA right now with Newegg. I was still within their 30 day window so I dont have to deal with XFX in trying to replace my r9 290 that lasted a little over an hour.

I know we have an MSI rep here....i will pm him to look into this thread if i ever figure out his name....Vendor reps can be a tremendous help getting these things sorted out

I've had very good luck with Asus RMA's. There was only one exception where it took like 2 weeks and a half to get a good working motherboard, but the second one was good. Also love their 2 way free shipping for laptops.

I just did an RMA with ASUS for a 280x. Mailed it out 12/22, ASUS received it 1/7, and I just got notification today that my RMA is complete. We will see if I get back a functional card. Given some of the horror stories I have read about people needing to do 2-3 RMAs to get a fixed 280x, I'm not filled with confidence.

Just sent a RMA also.This is the second time i had to RMA this XFX 290x and hope i get a good card this time that won't black screen on me.

Just sent a RMA also.This is the second time i had to RMA this XFX 290x and hope i get a good card this time that won't black screen on me.

Hey Jimmbill, please PM me the RMA # or ticket # and ill personally handle your RMA.

Thank you

Thank you XFXsupport got my replacement 290x and no more black screens!. And I can't thank you enough for replacing the card even though your test found nothing wrong with card:).To any one buying a new video card buy from XFX they have the best RMA around.

MSI is relatively fast. I think total turnaround time door-to-door was about 1.5-2 weeks. I've RMA-ed my 680 lightnings probably 6 times with them because I've blown them out over and over with overclocking. Not a fan of their motherboards

ASrock sucked donkey balls. Took like 5 weeks to get my motherboard (Z77 OC Formula that died when I tried installing it in a new case). Won't ever buy another product from them.

EVGA I like that they have extended warranty and cross shipping. I'm setup with 5 years + Saturday air priority on my mobo, because I hate downtime.

Corsair I've RMA-ed my PSU once to them (AX1200i before I got AX1500i) and with cross shipping it was here in a week.

Speaking of XFX, I won't ever buy any of their graphics cards. The vibe I get is that they put 0 engineering effort on any of their products. Slap some shitty silicon on a shitty reference board with 0 validation and call it a product. Every XFX card I've had has had no overclockability beyond the reference speed.

I have a Gigabyte RMA ongoing now, they have had it for 4 weeks......terrible communication, not responding to emails or phone calls.

Msi has been nice to me, but i sent in my x99s xpower motherboard and they have nothing in stock to replace it with, since it's their top of the line motherboard. : (... They offered me a refund but it's $80 less than I paid for it. They said hopefully they'll get a board for me in 1-2 weeks from Asia.

They've had the board for 18 days so far.

Evga RMA was one week. I guess it all depends on what creplacement cards they have on hand as far as equal value goes

Well I got the new card they sent me, and it seems to be having similar issues. I have to say I am a little disappointed. They told me this one had been tested. I'll test it in my other system before sending it back but doubt the results will be any different. Oh well.
toPqKeMf

hgJfYY9L

I have considered that, thats why I am going to test it in another computer. I had ruled out my computer because I had no issues with my 6870 and my power supply is more than powerful enough for a single 280x. I did run memtestcl and it returned lots of errors (seen in the image).
http://oi62.tinypic.com/261luev.jpg

Dealing with XFX Rma here. Instead of paying the 10 bucks to ship me my card back they decided to do this: Ship the card via FedEx to the USPS and then have USPS do fucking Parcel post to Hawaii from California.

This RMA is going to take two fucking months! XFX does not make their own cards, they are 5-8 people in an office in California who have a shitass chinese manufacturer make their garbage cards. XFX is so much shit, Nvidia wont let them sell their cards. In short, NEVER EVER buying XFX even if it's $20 collars for a AMD 290x.

I would totally buy a XFX 290x for $20! Not everyone lives in Hawaii.

I would totally buy a XFX 290x for $20! Not everyone lives in Hawaii.

Well the funny thing is, they are soooo skinflint. I've had RMAs only take a week or so. But when you got to save 5 dollars on shipping to Hawaii, they will.

True Fact: XFX is the only video card you can buy in Hawaii that's retail in a physical shop. Only have BestBuy and all they do is carry XFX. Anything else and they will have to order it for you (if your some poor fool who doesnt use E-tailers). You could go to one of the smaller mom and pops but they are selling 7950s for 300 dollars still sooo.

Back