RMA submitted, RMA received. Is this right or should I be upset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catogtp

[H]ard|Gawd
I submitted an RMA for a 1080 Ti K|NGP|N edition card to EVGA. They had me troubleshoot and issued the approval to return. I sent card in, received the replacement today. What I got was a 2080 Super XC Ultra. While this might be considered a performance upgrade I have a few issues.

1. I use a vertical GPU mount and this card will now not fit. It's a 2.75 slot card.
2. What came back, as expected, was a bare card. I have the box and t-shirt etc from my old card which does not match at all now.
3. This card is pretty ugly. Two fan with a silver sink and clear shroud. I'm sure it's for the RGB, but I don't have any RGB in my case at all.

Thoughts?

This is what they sent me:
Part Number: 08G-P4-3183-KR
Description: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER XC ULTRA, OVERCLOCKED, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Dual, 70C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 08G-P4-3183-KR, 8GB GDDR6

Last edited:
They sent you a better card. I wouldn't complain. 10xx series cards been out of productions for a while and they are out of suitable replacement. I doubt they had many kingpin cards set aside for warranty claims. You can ask for a refund instead of the 2080. Hell if they won't you can sell the 2080 for more money then you would 9f got for the 1080ti.

I submitted an RMA for a 1080 Ti K|NG{|N edition card to EVGA. They had me troubleshoot and issued the approval to return. I sent card in, received the replacement today. What I got was a 2080 Super XC Ultra. While this might be considered a performance upgrade I have a few issues.

1. I use a vertical GPU mount and this card will now not fit. It's a 2.75 slot card.
2. What came back, as expected, was a bare card. I have the box and t-shirt etc from my old card which does not match at all now.
3. This card is pretty ugly. Two fan with a silver sink and clear shroud. I'm sure it's for the RGB, but I don't have any RGB in my case at all.

Thoughts?

Description: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER XC ULTRA, OVERCLOCKED, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Dual, 70C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 08G-P4-3183-KR, 8GB GDDR6

I'm not sure what to say to that. Does matching T-shirt to a video card really matter?

Your excuses seem petty except for the card not fitting but it was an upgrade. Don't want to sound mean but yikes.

I'm not sure what to say to that. Does matching T-shirt to a video card really matter?

Your excuses seem petty except for the card not fitting but it was an upgrade. Don't want to sound mean but yikes.
Perhaps they are petty, which is why I asked here. I just tend to save my GPUs as I upgrade and having the box and such for a fairly limited card is really why I even asked in the first place. I'm not necessarily thinking about this from a resale position, but I am still a bit pissed about not having that card to go in the box when I finally do manage to buy a 3080.

Perhaps they are petty, which is why I asked here. I just tend to save my GPUs as I upgrade and having the box and such for a fairly limited card is really why I even asked in the first place. I'm not necessarily thinking about this from a resale position, but I am still a bit pissed about not having that card to go in the box when I finally do manage to buy a 3080.

Do yourself a favor and ship card only when reselling, saves shipping and most don't need the extras or does not make a difference.

I know it sucks but that is the thing about limited edition stuff. They don't make many and don't stock many for RMA purposes. If it wasn't a kingpin card they would of more then likely sent you another 1080ti.

Do yourself a favr and ship card only when reselling, saves shipping and most don't need the extras.
Like I said, I don't plan on selling it. I have a stack of my old cards and "collect" them. I think that is what bugs me about it.

I see everyone's point now, it's an upgrade, I will just have to deal with figuring out how to get it in my PC now.

If you sent in a mitx mini type card and they sent back a full size card, I'd be pissed but a full size for a slightly bigger full size with better specs ... I'll skip the vertical mount and take the free upgrade. 1080ti was a great card at the time but warranties are what they are - usually along the lines of "or suitable replacement of equal value" or similar language so no guarantees to getting a perfect replacement back especially 2 generations later.

If you sent in a mitx mini type card and they sent back a full size card, I'd be pissed but a full size for a slightly bigger full size with better specs ... I'll skip the vertical mount and take the free upgrade. 1080ti was a great card at the time but warranties are what they are - usually along the lines of "or suitable replacement of equal value" or similar language so no guarantees to getting a perfect replacement back especially 2 generations later.
I don't think anyone ships replacement based of their value on release. No one is going to give you a 3080ti hell even a 2080ti for a 1080ti warranty claim. It is why companies like BFG went out of business. People abuse the bell out of those kinds of warranties.

I don't think anyone ships replacement based of their value on release. No one is going to give you a 3080ti hell even a 2080ti for a 1080ti warranty claim. It is why companies like BFG went out of business. People abuse the bell out of those kinds of warranties.
I wasn't expecting an upgrade at all. If anything, maybe an email with choices/options vs just sending me a card that wont fit in my computer.

If you removed the vertical GPU mount would it fit?

Write EVGA a letter, explain to them that you are a collector of old cards and see if they could either send you a box for the current card or if there is anyway you can get the original card back. They are a pretty solid company and may help you... as long as you don't act like an entitled dick. If they can't help you be thankful you got a significantly better card for nothing.

Like I said you can still talk to them and see if there are other options. Evga is pretty good about warranty issues.bibremeber stories of evga replacing a pair of cards just so they can keep SLI even though only 1 card was the issue. They might send you a smaller 2080 card if you bring up it doesn't fit in your case.

I wasn't expecting an upgrade at all. If anything, maybe an email with choices/options vs just sending me a card that wont fit in my computer.
Overhead doing that; they probably have an automated system that "selects" a card out of available stock that matches (approximately) performance/value/etc for what you had. It was a major upgrade; I'd take it and run. Or put it up here for trade for one that fits.

I’d be happy to get upgraded from. 1080ti to a 2080 super for what is essentially a free upgrade. As far as the matching t-shirt dilemma, I damn near choked on the turkey and dressing I was eating when I read that.

I submitted an RMA for a 1080 Ti K|NGP|N edition card to EVGA. They had me troubleshoot and issued the approval to return. I sent card in, received the replacement today. What I got was a 2080 Super XC Ultra. While this might be considered a performance upgrade I have a few issues.

Thoughts?

They sent you a great card. Nice upgrade.

However, if it doesn't fit your case, I would contact them and see if they have a lower profile 2080s.

I'm pretty annoyed with all of the basically triple slot designs. Especially when most of it is in the mounting bracket height and the shroud height.

Last edited:
What is so hard for you guys to understand? Skip the t-shirt and box and get to the real meat and potatoes.. His card doesn't fit in his system. So he can't just "enjoy the upgrade" as countless people here keep mentioning.

What is so hard for you guys to understand? Skip the t-shirt and box and get to the real meat and potatoes.. His card doesn't fit in his system. So he can't just "enjoy the upgrade" as countless people here keep mentioning.
What you fail to understand apparently is that evga doesn’t guarantee fitment with a replacement card. End of story. They followed their policy. Move along.

Sell it while the market is hot and wait till you can get a 3080ti or whatever you prefer that will have a matching box and fit vertically.

I've used both a 1080 Ti FE and a 2080 Super XC Ultra - both under AiO watercooling and highly overclocked. The 2080 Super XC Ultra was a side grade with both overclocked except for RTX and a lower VRAM amount.

They only have to supply a card that is as fast/faster as the 1080 Ti Kingpin. The 2080 Super XC Ultra on air is not, sorry. And it is 8GB vs 11GB VRAM which may be an issue for Doom Eternal 4K Ultra Nightmare (if you OC the VRAM enough it won't be, but if you don't OC or have not so great VRAM....). Sadly, you likely won't be able to get better - but I'd try for a 2080 Ti. Yes it is quite a bit faster, but it also has the same VRAM amount and isn't slower than the 1080 Ti Kingpin.

If you have any stock benchmarks (game or canned) that you can compare to reinforce it, that would help. The Doom Eternal 4K ultra nightmare VRAM thing might or might not be enough.

Call them back when they get back in after the holidays as I am guessing that support won't be in tomorrow.

Ahh, they do this stuff all the time. You do not matter to them at all (I have been down that road). They have a list of what will be given as a replacement and that is it.

If it were taco, I wouldn't be pushing my luck. This is a newer generation item!🧡means longer support🤗I'd keep it

I feel like they should of contacted you with options before just sending a card and wanting you to be happy with it. I acually had the card that you got as the replacement and it's a really good card

If you can't use the GPU due to fitment I am sure EVGA will get you something that can. If not, value wise it is superior to a 1080ti. You can sell it and find another GPU that does fit I assume that will still be faster than the 1080ti.

Used without a box will hurt resell value, but I think a 2080 Super without a box is worth more than a 1080ti with a box.

Damn does your t-shirt come with built in cooling fans? I'd be mad AF too if it wasn't compatible with the new card.
Nd9GcRK6xrbhEAopk_8GfNbhwWwB-ocaV0GsQcHmw&usqp=CAU.jpg

Lol at you guys concentrating on the t-shirt. I guarantee this convo would be totally different had I said I had the box and all the accessories that came with the other card. It has nothing to do with wearing a t-shirt, and everything to do with having a complete card in the box when I decide to upgrade. A few people do get it but most of you probably toss your boxes away and throw your extra cables in a box somewhere. It's all good.

I took my vertical mount out and installed the card. I've been dealing with crap onboard HDMI to my ultrawide display for over a week and it's been less than stellar. I'll see what they say when they reply to my latest email.

Lol at you guys concentrating on the t-shirt. I guarantee this convo would be totally different had I said I had the box and all the accessories that came with the other card. It has nothing to do with wearing a t-shirt, and everything to do with having a complete card in the box when I decide to upgrade. A few people do get it but most of you probably toss your boxes away and throw your extra cables in a box somewhere. It's all good.

I took my vertical mount out and installed the card. I've been dealing with crap onboard HDMI to my ultrawide display for over a week and it's been less than stellar. I'll see what they say when they reply to my latest email.
It has everything to do with the t-shirt, otherwise you wouldn’t have mentioned it.

What's the point of keeping the box if you only had a broken card to put in it?

To answer your question in the OP, I think that EVGA did right by you with the RMA. Maybe they could have sprung for a FTW model instead of the XC, but I wouldn't be upset.

I've used both a 1080 Ti FE and a 2080 Super XC Ultra - both under AiO watercooling and highly overclocked. The 2080 Super XC Ultra was a side grade with both overclocked except for RTX and a lower VRAM amount.

They only have to supply a card that is as fast/faster as the 1080 Ti Kingpin. The 2080 Super XC Ultra on air is not, sorry. And it is 8GB vs 11GB VRAM which may be an issue for Doom Eternal 4K Ultra Nightmare (if you OC the VRAM enough it won't be, but if you don't OC or have not so great VRAM....). Sadly, you likely won't be able to get better - but I'd try for a 2080 Ti. Yes it is quite a bit faster, but it also has the same VRAM amount and isn't slower than the 1080 Ti Kingpin.

If you have any stock benchmarks (game or canned) that you can compare to reinforce it, that would help. The Doom Eternal 4K ultra nightmare VRAM thing might or might not be enough.

Call them back when they get back in after the holidays as I am guessing that support won't be in tomorrow.

What do you reasonably expect them to do? Keep a stock of old cards through through the warranty period? Maybe if they would have given him a 2080 Super FTW card instead? I don't feel like the OP was mistreated by EVGA's RMA program as the 2080 Super is generally considered superior to the 1080Ti.

Your post is confusing, are you talking the motherboard HDMI output or the replaced video card HDMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back