RMA submitted, RMA received. Is this right or should I be upset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your post is confusing, are you talking the motherboard HDMI output or the replaced video card HDMI?

I took it to mean that he is using the card in spite of his reservations because he didn't want to keep using the onboard HDMI.

Your post is confusing, are you talking the motherboard HDMI output or the replaced video card HDMI?
It was clear. He removed his vertical mount, so he could use his card, because the onboard hdmi was shitty.

What's the point of keeping the box if you only had a broken card to put in it?

To answer your question in the OP, I think that EVGA did right by you with the RMA. Maybe they could have sprung for a FTW model instead of the XC, but I wouldn't be upset.
I think its completely reasonable to expect all the items that came with the card at retail to then be provided later on. It is a personal preference, sure, but it would be nice. I also display my old cards and their boxes, so I understand.

I think its completely reasonable to expect all the items that came with the card at retail to then be provided later on. It is a personal preference, sure, but it would be nice. I also display my old cards and their boxes, so I understand.

I don't expect that at all on an RMA replacement. At best, I expect "b stock" packaging with a bare brown box. I don't expect a brand new full retail packaging.

IMO, that's the price to pay for RMAing the card (unfortunately).

I don't expect that at all on an RMA replacement. At best, I expect "b stock" packaging with a bare brown box.
I would suspect, and I could very well be wrong, that a company would order enough boxes for cards. Meaning that they have an empty box sitting somewhere they will have to throw out anyway. If they are already going to "throw it in a bare brown box" why not the ACTUAL box?

I do get the fact he only sent a card, not his box, so its card for card, but I dont get the bare card thing. I would expect an entire box for proper packaging and shipping so it doesn't get damaged in shipping.

I don't expect that at all on an RMA replacement. At best, I expect "b stock" packaging with a bare brown box. I don't expect a brand new full retail packaging.

IMO, that's the price to pay for RMAing the card (unfortunately).

Yup that has never been the case unless its a new release and they have extra new ones in stock. I've never seen them return a new packaged card with an RMA. Most just want the bare card returned only, not all the extras. That's not how it works.

I would suspect, and I could very well be wrong, that a company would order enough boxes for cards. Meaning that they have an empty box sitting somewhere they will have to throw out anyway. If they are already going to "throw it in a bare brown box" why not the ACTUAL box?

I do get the fact he only sent a card, not his box, so its card for card, but I dont get the bare card thing. I would expect an entire box for proper packaging and shipping so it doesn't get damaged in shipping.

Have you ever bought a B stock card? Mine came in a brown box with a serial number on it. Almost like a retail box just without the glossy pictured outer packaging. I'm guessing that's what the OP got. Not a "bare card" but not a full retail package either.

Have you ever bought a B stock card? Mine came in a brown box with a serial number on it. Almost like a retail box just without the glossy pictured outer packaging. I'm guessing that's what the OP got. Not a "bare card" but not a full retail package either.
I haven't but it doesn't mean I should accept that.

... What do you reasonably expect them to do? Keep a stock of old cards through through the warranty period? Maybe if they would have given him a 2080 Super FTW card instead? I don't feel like the OP was mistreated by EVGA's RMA program as the 2080 Super is generally considered superior to the 1080Ti.
I pointed out how the 1080 Ti can be faster than the 2080 super. And because it's EVGA's own policy to replace with a card of equal or better performance, the OP might want to look at their own stock benchmarks as well as Doom Eternal 4K Ultra Nightmare. What the OP does with that information is on them.

Heck, if the OP does any professional editing that uses more than 8GB of VRAM that would also easily be grounds to request an 11GB VRAM card.

Last edited:
I pointed out how the 1080 Ti can be faster than the 2080 super because it's EVGA's own policy to replace with a card of equal or better performance. What the OP does with that information is on them.

I know, but generally speaking the 2080 Super is faster, especially later into the lifecycle of Turing based cards. Techspot's review suite claims it is 9% faster than a 1080Ti. You're never going to get a 1:1 performance unless they sent the exact same card. Sure, there are cases where the 1080Ti is faster, but there are more cases where the 2080 Super is faster.

I know, but generally speaking the 2080 Super is faster, especially later into the lifecycle of Turing based cards. Techspot's review suite claims it is 9% faster than a 1080Ti. You're never going to get a 1:1 performance unless they sent the exact same card. Sure, there are cases where the 1080Ti is faster, but there are more cases where the 2080 Super is faster.
And a 1080 Ti Kingpin is watercooled (unless he got the air cooled version with that huge heatsink, but earlier they mentioned the replacement card's width being a lot bigger). Stock to stock, the Kingpin would be faster.

The OP may be happy. All I'm doing is saying that it's (likely) less than what EVGA promised with equal or better performance.

And a 1080 Ti Kingpin is watercooled (unless he got the air cooled version with that huge heatsink, but earlier they mentioned the replacement card's width being a lot bigger). Stock to stock, the Kingpin would be faster.

The OP may be happy. All I'm doing is saying that it's (likely) less than what EVGA promised with equal or better performance.

And then you can also overclock the 2080 Super XC just like you can overclock the kingpin.

I think he got a fair shake from eVGA.

If you really wanted a card to match the box, you should have kept the dead card and put it in box to collect. The terms of the warranty are you get back something equivalent, not identical.

EVGA can’t be expected to keep a forever stock of every GPU model so people have matching boxes and t shirts after warranty replacement.

They did right by him, when you buy a limited edition card it should be known that you're not going to get another one 3 years down the road or whatever. They gave him a card with near identical performance and RTX features.

He should have kept the card and put it in his box for display and just bought a 30xx series kingpin if he was so hung up on keeping the card.

They did right by him, when you buy a limited edition card it should be known that you're not going to get another one 3 years down the road or whatever. They gave him a card with near identical performance and RTX features.

He should have kept the card and put it in his box for display and just bought a 30xx series kingpin if he was so hung up on keeping the card.
Quite. That's been said over and over.

As the loyal opposition who has had a 1080 Ti FE under water (VS a watercooled 1080 TI Kingpin) as well as a 2080 Super XC Ultra, I'm giving an informed opinion about what EVGA's policy is SHOULD THE OP WANT TO USE IT.

You and everyone else need not keep repeating the same thing over and over. It's redundant, beating a dead horse as it were, even if you hold your beliefs strongly.

Or post a fs ft thread looking for a 1080 ti kingpin. I'm sure someone would trade for that 2080.
I didn't see a single post from the OP saying they wanted a 1080ti as a replacement. They wanted a card that came complete with its original box THAT FITS IN HIS CONFIGURATION.

Jesus.

I didn't see a single post from the OP saying they wanted a 1080ti as a replacement. They wanted a card that came complete with its original box THAT FITS IN HIS CONFIGURATION.

Jesus.

Never mind...

Last edited:

Jesus.
Man, no one is upset here. I'm just saying if he wanted that he could do it.

Jesus.

*and a matching t shirt

A5A36F43-84D6-4C02-8D55-E6FA0772047D.jpeg

Jesus.
OP must never have done a RMA before, I've done quite a few with different manfucturers and they don't send you an original box typically. Many of them also usually tell you NOT to include anything you want to keep because it won't be returned. Just checked, direct quote from the evga page:

Keep all accessories as you will only be receiving a video card in return. This includes, but is not limited to: Please print and attach page 1 of this PDF to the outside of your box in order to ensure timely processing and prevent any delays. • Posters, Stickers, Manuals, CDs, Games, T-shirts, DVI to VGA Adapters, HDMI adapters, Power Adapters, Low-Profile Brackets, Case Badges, Graphics Card Backplates that were purchased separately as an accessory or given through a promotion, aftermarket cooling solutions, etc.

I don't know, it's nice that they kind of gave the OP and upgrade, but for me for example, if I did an RMA of a 2 slot card then got back a 2.75 slot one I'd be really pissed because it wouldn't fit. IMHO EVGA kind of fucked up here, before they shipped it out they should have contacted the OP and asked if a 2.75 slot sized card would work for the rig it was going in.

Jesus.
He also mentioned a t-shirt. And yes, this is the holiday for Jesus.

A warranty is there to guarantee the product works for the specfied time, not a lifetime gurantee on t-shirts.

Like I said, I don't plan on selling it. I have a stack of my old cards and "collect" them. I think that is what bugs me about it.

I see everyone's point now, it's an upgrade, I will just have to deal with figuring out how to get it in my PC now.
I don't see it the same way as all these apologists do. You bought a Kingpin card. You should have gotten one back. It'd only be an upgrade if ya got a 2080ti Kingpin back.

I don't see it the same way as all these apologists do. You bought a Kingpin card. You should have gotten one back. It'd only be an upgrade if ya got a 2080ti Kingpin back.
Well no, turing is out of production, mate, hence a 3080ti kingpin is in order, but since those aren't out yet, the only fair replacement really is a 3090.(with a tshirt)

If collecting cards and cheap tshirts are more important then having a working card that’s also an upgrade, don’t send an EOL card in for warranty repairs. Put it back in its box along with that T-shirt and buy a new card. You’ll be thankful whenyou find that special someone who cares to check out your collection of old video cards.

Pass the bong.

And then reset the entire production line to make one of them old Kingpin's!
Pass the bong.

I imagine trying to get a 2080 TI Kingpin card right now is like striking gold. And when RMA'ing they tend to send an equivalent performance card back, not a free upgrade.

1. This is what I want.
  2. That is not how it works.
  3. But that is what I want!
  4. Again, that is not how it works.
  5. BUT THAT IS WHAT I WANT!
  6. Sigh

1080Ti for a 2080 Super... I would have loved to get a 2080 Super as a warranty replacement for my 1080Ti. I "only" got a regular 2080.

OP has the box. maybe he should shop around on ebay for a dead kingpin to put in it :p
This is exactly what I am going to do. Just find a dead card or a cheap one down the line.

I appreciate all the replies here. I do think EVGA tried to do right by the RMA, but in the instance of the K|NGP|N cards, extra steps should be taken. It got overlooked that I had an 11GB vram card by a lot of you, which is a big deal depending on what I do with this card. I'd of been happy to fork out some additional cash to get a card that fit my system/use case better. Their support also overlooked the fact it didn't fit and basically said "Thanks, glad you took out the mount and got it to work." If I could get a 3080 or even a 3070 for retail right now, I am not sure I would have even bothered with an RMA. When I finally do score one(30xx), the 2080 will be sold.
1080Ti for a 2080 Super... I would have loved to get a 2080 Super as a warranty replacement for my 1080Ti. I "only" got a regular 2080.
I think I got a super either because I did have the kingpin card or they didn't have any regular 2080's in stock at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back