RMA replacement card has same problem as the one I sent in.

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by NoForgiveness, Jan 13, 2018.

1. NoForgiveness

NoForgiveness Gawd

I just emailed EVGA support but I am wondering if anyone here might have any ideas.

I have a 1050 Ti Gaming and it always had little glitches, but at some point it started showing a garbled display almost every time Windows would wake the display from sleep (not the computer, just the display). I tried all the basic stuff like using DDU and reinstalling drivers, but nothing fixed it. EVGA agreed right away that RMA was the way to go and I received the replacement today. From Jan 9th until today (the 13th) I used a PNY 1050 and it had no problems at all. On the same day that I installed the replacement EVGA card, the same issue is back, so it's telling me that there is a problem with the entire series of this card. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas what it could be? Incompatible motherboard? Would EVGA let me pay extra to upgrade to a higher model since this seems to be an issue with the whole series of this card?

2. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

have you tried said card in another system? different monitors maybe? maybe psu? those are places to start. oh, mobo bios up to date?

3. NoForgiveness

NoForgiveness Gawd

The system in my sig is actually my old system. I upgraded to a Ryzen 1500 on an ASRock AB350M Pro4 a few months ago. The card didn't have this problem before, but it also didn't have this problem for weeks or even a couple of months after putting it in this new system. One thing I didn't try is going back to the old old drivers from like a year ago, which I was using just fine, but I kind of don't want to be stuck with old drivers. Mobo BIOS isn't the latest, but ASRock doesn't say anything about fixing graphics card issues on their BIOS page. I think the fact that the PNY 1050 doesn't have this problem says a lot by itself, doesn't it?

4. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

maybe but you need to do some trouble shooting, it could be the system, could be the card. they didn't send the exact same card back did they?

5. NoForgiveness

NoForgiveness Gawd

It has a new serial number... not that that matters much LOL but I hope they wouldn't do me like that.

pendragon1 likes this.
  6. trikat

trikat [H]Lite

I had to RMA a gigabyte 280x three times back in the day.
    Had access to backup cards which worked perfectly.
    3rd time was the charm, but it was a pain those 3 months. Shipping, repair time, all the diagnostics, it adds up... :(
    If you can try reformatting or using a fresh OS on another drive.
    Physically clean out the computer and card.
    Run it at a higher fan speed or use an external fan. Just to see if it is heat related.
    But since the PNY is working flawlessly it sounds like the EVGA is defective.

7. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

Evga does trade up within a certain time. Could ask them.

8. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardness Supreme

It’s not a problem with the line of card

Since the card did the same thing is suspect something else

A 1050 doesn’t use much power so it’s not a good test. Another 1080 would be a better test for a PSU issue

What PSU are you using and how old is it?

Have you tried a different pci-e slot on the Motherboard?

Can you try the 1080 in a friends machine?

Have a box fan blow on it and see if it’s heat related.