RMA or buy aftermarket cooler

Koizumi

Limp Gawd
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but today my fan died on my HIS 6950. I'm considering buying a aftermarket cooler instead. The fan controller on my 6950 also doesn't work so the fan always ran at max speed. I've also had this card for 1 year and 1 month.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186052
for 60+4$ shipping
This fan says "Equipped with a PWM controller". Will this work inplace of the broken fan controller?
Just reading comments about this fan and it supposedly doesn't sound like a hair dryer like the stock fan

Last edited:
Download MSI afterburner and set up a custom fan profile, or try manually changing the fan speed in CCC. If it still runs at max speed then you should try to RMA it first rather than voiding your warranty and fitting an (expensive) aftermarket cooler.

Download MSI afterburner and set up a custom fan profile, or try manually changing the fan speed in CCC.

before my fan stopped working I tried both of those options and neither did the trick

The reason I want to go with the aftermarket cooler is i really hate the hair dryer type noise from the stock cooling, but will that PWM controller be enough to control speeds when the on controller on the card doesn't work?

Last edited:
RMAing the card is probably the safest option, there's no guarantee the Arctic Cooling fan will fix the issue and if it doesn't... well then you're kind of screwed.

Back