RMA on EVGA 9800GT -- Expect what?

tsn | spazz

[H]ard|Gawd
EVGA graciously approved an RMA on an out of warranty (didn't register pre-30days) 9800gt. What can I expect to receive?

edit: wanted to add: evga just a customer for life

Honestly, ask eVGA. We are not eVGA. eVGA is the only one who can actually tell you what you will receive. We at best can guestimate but its just a guess. Why don't you right down a bunch of low end eVGA video cards, put them in a hat. Shake it around and pull one out. Then do it 4-5 times and you'll have responses pretty similar to what will be in this thread. Random guess from a selection of likely outcomes.

Honestly, ask eVGA. We are not eVGA. eVGA is the only one who can actually tell you what you will receive. We at best can guestimate but its just a guess. Why don't you right down a bunch of low end eVGA video cards, put them in a hat. Shake it around and pull one out. Then do it 4-5 times and you'll have responses pretty similar to what will be in this thread. Random guess from a selection of likely outcomes.

;) I've just been out of the loop. Asking me to choose the 4-5 cards is hard enough. I have no idea where to start.

;) I've just been out of the loop. Asking me to choose the 4-5 cards is hard enough. I have no idea where to start.

Hmm, because your card is several generations old, if they wanted to replace it with one of the same performance lvl, they could do so with a 260 or so but its harder to find older cards so if its replaced with a newer gpu; 460 or below.

It all depends on what they have in stock in their RMA dept. You won't get a new card if they have another 9800gt on the shelf.

If they don't have one in stock, I would expect around a gts 240 or if you are lucky maybe a gts 450. They don't replace cards based on their "level" but by their performance. So if you had a 6800gt which was the mainstream card back in its day, you wouldn't get a gtx560ti, which is the current generation's mainstream card. You would likely get a gts220 or something that comes close to the performance of your 6800gt.

If they still have them, a 250 GTX, as it's a 9800 in new clothing, a 260 if they have none of those.

If they still have them, a 250 GTX, as it's a 9800 in new clothing, a 260 if they have none of those.

a 9800gt is not the same thing as a GTS250... a 9800GTX+ was, though. nVidia's naming scheme back then was moronic.

Yup............3GB memory,too.:eek:

J/K.........

If evga has any of the same left, that's what you get.
If you are lucky, maybe a GTX 260 or even 285 if God is with you.

My voet is for something in the lower 200 tier.:D

i just RMA'ed a 9800gtx to EVGA last week. it was a replacement for a RMA'ed 8800GT, they sent me a 9800GTX+. I want to go AMD, but NOBODY I have seen stands behind the goods like EVGA!

A few months ago I RMAed a 8800GT and I got back a 9800GT. So it is very possible that they still have these cards around and that you may just get a brand new 9800GT back. Just pretend that you will get a 9800GT back and don't hype yourself up that you will get a better card, if you do awesome, if you don't oh wells.

Back