RMA by MSI, will never buy anything from them

MorgothPl

2[H]4U
So my 980 Ti was sent for RMA. Shop sent it to distributor, he then forwarded it to MSI authorized repair center.... and for two weeks it's absolute silence. Noone knows, when the card will be repaired, will I get a new one, or what's going on.

Shop is flawless - they try to get the infro from service center, but distributor and MSI are unable to tell the shop, if the card went for local or abroad service center and what's happening to the card. According to the shop, I should be armed with patience and hope for late January return.

I'll never buy anything from MSI again, any next GPU will be direct pruchase from EVGA.

Honestly every time i read an rma horror story from Asus or msi or wtfever company it just reaffirms in my mind why i have been and will continue to buy all my Video cards from evga. I've been buying from them since bfg went out of business many moons ago and have never had a bad experience. I've rma'd quite a few cards from then as well over the years and is always been fine. I know some people here shun evga for some reason on this forum but i really never understood why. They are a stand up company with 24/7 us/California based support which is fantastic imo and experience. Just my 2 cents.

Honestly every time i read an rma horror story from Asus or msi or wtfever company it just reaffirms in my mind why i have been and will continue to buy all my Video cards from evga. I've been buying from them since bfg went out of business many moons ago and have never had a bad experience. I've rma'd quite a few cards from then as well over the years and is always been fine. I know some people here shun evga for some reason on this forum but i really never understood why. They are a stand up company with 24/7 us/California based support which is fantastic imo and experience. Just my 2 cents.

From what I've been reading lots of people are buying EVGA. I've been an MSI/Gigabyte buyer recently but will probably switch over soon despite not having any problems thus far.

What are you doing to have to rma quite a few cards? I have only had to send one card and thatwas an 8800gt from msi that got dealt with quick.

Yeah I agree. I always buy evga cards for the service. I used to buy their mobos too but stayed away since sandy bridge.

inb4 flood of EVGA horror stories. This shit just happens, i have dealt a lot with MSI and since I deal with hardware en mass often, their service is quite fine.

What are you doing to have to rma quite a few cards? I have only had to send one card and thatwas an 8800gt from msi that got dealt with quick.

Over the years I've probably rma'd 3 times. Sometimes cards just go bad is nothing i'm doing. In fact i don't over clock video cards except for what factory oc i buy. Shit just happens sometimes.

Sounds like the problem is that it was sent to the distributor first and not directly to MSI.

My guess is that the distributor screwed up and doesn't even have an RMA number.. which is why they can't tell you anything.

And without an RMA number tied to the serial number of the card, MSI is probably not going to be able to tell you anything either. In fact, it would not surprise me if the card stays in limbo for eternity.

I'll never buy anything from MSI again, any next GPU will be direct pruchase from EVGA.

Your main problem is you had the shop do the return. You should have contacted MSI directly for the return. Sounds like you're blaming MSI for someone else's problem given there's the shop and the distributor in the chain.

I had my previous card need an RMA, went direct to MSI and everything was handled direct with zero problem.

Why would you NOT go direct to manufacturer for RMA?

I have never had to RMA anything to MSI but I did experience an issue with my motherboard and MSI was responsive and put me in direct touch with their BIOS engineers to try and fix the problem. They even sent me a beta BIOS to try for a product that had been EOL for 3 years. In my mind they went way above and beyond what I expected.

OP is in Poland I believe, and EU does RMAs a bit differently.

OP is in Poland I believe, and EU does RMAs a bit differently.

If that is the case, and stuff is required to go back to the distributor first, then the distributor should also be required to ship a replacement card to the shop/customer and then the distributor can wait for the replacement themselves.

But that could potentially hurt the distributor so in order to counteract that, all RMAs should be replaced with a new, same item they sent to the shop/customer and not a refurb or repaired item.

But that makes too much sense so it will never happen.

OP must be in Europe, it is the policy of many companies probably even EVGA that the shop handles the RMA not the customer.

There are horror stories for every company out there even EVGA.

I have well over a few dozen purchases from MSI dating back to the my MSI K8N Diamond Plus motherboard. My last motherboard was an MSI XPower & my current motherboard is an MSI Z170A M5. Have also purchased a lot of MSI branded GPU's although my current GPU is a EVGA 970 SC. MSI has always been great on my end. Only ever had one issue with one of there hardware products & it was handled very quickly. They've even sent me a swag bag back in 2011 lol. Great company. Sorry to hear about your, what I assume to be, one time bad experience. Shouldn't judge a company on one bad incident. Wouldn't like it so much if you was on the opposite end of that treatment.

Lets cry about our RMA stories on the internet instead of handling it with the manufacturer like a mature adult.

I appreciate the chance to learn from others experience, I am about to drop 700 bucks on a 980 ti, and I had considered the Asus strix, but the opinions and experiences here convince me otherwise. When spending that kind of money on a product, I expect zero bullshit when I need support. EVGA is probably getting my money this time just because of the support I got with my 970s.

EVGA wasn't that great for me. I didn't feel like spending $16+ to send back a card that was damaged out of the box. And they would only give me a used refurb. I understand if it died some months down the road, but broken out of the box and they won't send a new replacement? IMO that isn't excellent customer service and they aren't worth the $15-20 premium their cards go for. My last two GPUs were MSI and I had no issues with them. I'll likely be buying MSI again next time.

Back