RMA and OEM stands for?

lessthanjakejohn

Limp Gawd
What does RMA stand for? I know it means to send it back but...

Also, I know OEM means "Original Equipment Manufacturer" but what does this really mean? That another company besides say intel in cpus is making P4 chips for them?

That another company besides say intel in cpus is making P4 chips for them

When all your equipment are make of OEM then it comes from manufactures Dells and HP and etc until they sell it from you. The retail product are directly sold to you.

I hope I was able to clear that up.

RMA stands for Return Merchandise Authorization. Basically when you RMA something, you send it back to the manufacturer or an authorized service shop, and they send you some form of replacement.

OEM does indeed stand for Original Equipment Manufacturer. The "equipment" in this case is personal computers. In other words, an item sold as OEM means that it's intended to be sold to Dell, HP, etc. without the fancy retail packaging and extraneous items. Dell and HP don't care about these because they're just going to install the hardware, so the manufacturer of the hardware can offer the product at a lower cost to the OEM. It just so happens that many individual computer builders don't need the extras either, so the OEM product at the lower price makes a lot of sense.

Originally posted by xonik
RMA stands for Return Merchandise Authorization. Basically when you RMA something, you send it back to the manufacturer or an authorized service shop, and they send you some form of replacement.

OEM does indeed stand for Original Equipment Manufacturer. The "equipment" in this case is personal computers. In other words, an item sold as OEM means that it's intended to be sold to Dell, HP, etc. without the fancy retail packaging and extraneous items. Dell and HP don't care about these because they're just going to install the hardware, so the manufacturer of the hardware can offer the product at a lower cost to the OEM. It just so happens that many individual computer builders don't need the extras either, so the OEM product at the lower price makes a lot of sense.

Ok, this and the post above clears it up. Thanks

So an OEM means is without most extras with no extras
Retail is with whatever extras the mfg provides.

What about warranties. Are they the same for OEM and Retail?

Originally posted by lessthanjakejohn

not always , in general retail gets longer warrantys.

this seems to be less n less true though,

btw: did you consider googling or doing research on your own for these answers?

No, because I can ask direct questions here and some people were willing to help me within about 5-10 minutes of my post. :cool:

Originally posted by lessthanjakejohn
Usually they're not. For some items, the OEM warranty is limited to 30 days and/or may be on the retailer's terms--not the manufacturer's. If this is important to you, pay extra attention to the stated warranties so you don't get screwed.

Originally posted by xonik
Usually they're not. For some items, the OEM warranty is limited to 30 days and/or may be on the retailer's terms--not the manufacturer's. If this is important to you, pay extra attention to the stated warranties so you don't get screwed.

ok thanks for the advice, Ill be sure to compare the warranties before taking the price into consideration.

Back