RJ45 device (not a computer) to Wifi bridge converter? Wifi router maybe?

Flybye

Limp Gawd
I need an RJ45 only device to connect to the internet through a hotspot on a cellular device (iPhone or Cellular iPad).

I came across an old thread here mentioning the Linksys WET54G.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...R0375&cm_re=WET54G-_-9SIA0AJ79R0375-_-Product

But its an old device that only supports up to 802.11g. Anyone know of a newer and better bridge?

Could a wifi router do this job?

I dont know if a wifi router could be setup to connect via wifi to another wireless router (the hotspot) or maybe even tether hotspot device to router. This would be awesome cuz then I wouldnt have to worry about exceeding the number of devices allowed to connect to a hotspot so that I can also use other things like my laptop, etc. Im thinking I dont want a repeater connecting to the hotspot if thats even possible) so that the router can supply the IP addresses to my devices and router using the hotspot for the WAN.

The aruba device doesnt seam to have a DHCP server like a router, though. I thought about it more and would really like something like a router connecting to the hotspot. I also have an RJ45 printer with no USB port that needs its own IP address, and I dont know if the printer would get an IP address from the hotspot or if printing from a PC using the iPhone/iPadas as a DHCP server would foul things up.

Id prefer not to get a cellular based router. I have an iPhone and iPad, but the iPad is not always with me. I dont want to have to be swapping sims around.

Listen to k1pp3r - get a Cradlepoint branch router. You can either use it natively as your LTE modem/router or you can do ethernet passthrough to your own router.

Yeah Ive been reading up on the CradlePoint toys. Very nice and great accessory antennas to get better reception. I'll certainly consider it. Thx!

i've done this w/ ubiquiti airgateway, pretty simple, cheap, if you've got ubnt power supplies lying around (i had access to boxes and boxes of them at my last job)

Its working! I am now using an iPad Sprint or an iPhone Sprint as a modem connected to a D-Link router running DD-WRT. I had to do this since I have an RJ45 device that needs internet access that is not a computer. So my set:

D-Link DIR-860L Ver.: A1
DD-WRT 06-01-2017-r32170
iPad 2018 A1954 running iOS 11.3.1
iPhone 6 Plus MGD22LL/A running iOS 10.3.2

I first tried DD-WRT build 06-01-2018-r36079, but it doesnt even have an iPhone tethering option. I went to the 2017 build as stated in the above article.

The r32170 works perfectly fine. So I didnt bother looking for a newer build that does have the iPhone tethering option. I have no clue at this time why the iPhone tethering option was removed from DD-WRT.

At first it took a bit of time for the router and iPhone/iPad to recognize each other. It took maybe 1 or 2 reboots of the router where the iPad and iPhone finally had the Trust this computer question pop up. And even then it took a few minutes for the router to finally tell the computer this connection has internet the first time. But after all that, connecting the iPhone and iPad to the router gives the Trust question almost instantly, and the PC then just needs another 10 or so seconds to have internet.

I couldnt find a Cradlepoint 4G/LTE Sprint modem for a good price even on eBay. I'll invest on a Cradlepoint modem router later on (the ones with multiple antenna options). I didnt want to get the Cradlepoint that only connects via usb to a Sprint Modem because of the weaker reception of those modems.

So I ended up going with an AT&T Cradlepoint. My Sprint connection was just sucking really bad at the location. I tested the wife's AT&T connection, and I was just wowed. Picked up an older Cradlepoint IBR650LPE-AT 4G LTE for only $120. No wifi but so what. It is attached to my D-Link router, and speeds have been great. I typically get about 15 down and 10 up. :D Thank you to everyone that made the Cradlepoint suggestion.

Back