Rivatuner 16.2 and new 97.28 drivers for 8800 users.

I'll have to try these when I get home. Hopefully I can play San Andreas without it giving me a blue screen every time I target someone :p

CounTDookU23 said:
is that a nvidia release on the driver.......... or is it some tweaked version?

It is a full release from Nvidia. The driver originally was from Stationdrivers. It was edited to allow use on any Geforce card cause originally it was only meant for the 8800 series. Besides the modification to allow the drivers to be used on all cards it is left alone.

I think the hope is with these is that we'll be able to OC the stream processor units (shaders) as well as the gpu core and memory.. I will def be checking this out tonight. :)

PS: there's already some discussion about the 97.28s going on here .

I'm readin that there's no performance increases in fps, but the smoothness in fps transition is supposedly better.

There is supposedly an fps increase for dual-gpu cards however...

Maybe there is a possibility to unlock stream processors on 8800GTS with the new Riva...?

edit:
newp, just like prior cards can't enable them from rivatuner
shows up as disabled... and cant enable them :/

I'd be happy with the same performance and some incompatibilities/bugs fixed personally.

I'd settle for getting consistant performance that the card is supposed to offer in the first place. Plus working SLi and no sound issues resulting from it being enabled.

I ran driver cleaner on the old driver and installed these.. My performance is back up, but I'm not making any judgement just yet as the old drivers would do the same thing after a reinstall (work fine for awhile, then go to shit).

jdk said:
I ran driver cleaner on the old driver and installed these.. My performance is back up, but I'm not making any judgement just yet as the old drivers would do the same thing after a reinstall (work fine for awhile, then go to shit).

It hasn't helped in my case. I am still looking at sub Radeon 9600Pro performance out of my $1200 SLi setup on my $300.00 SLi certified motherobard.

Maybe nVidia's driver development team needs a blanket party to get back on track. Their latest drivers are nothing short of a travesty. They are garbage that seems as well polished as you'd expect from alpha level software.

Dan_D said:
It hasn't helped in my case. I am still looking at sub Radeon 9600Pro performance out of my $1200 SLi setup on my $300.00 SLi certified motherobard.

Maybe nVidia's driver development team needs a blanket party to get back on track. Their latest drivers are nothing short of a travesty. They are garbage that seems as well polished as you'd expect from alpha level software.

I'll agree that nVidia's drivers are the main thing that's holding me back from buying an 8800 GTX right now. To have such a nice hard launch, only to mess it up with drivers that change performance when you boot your computer... what a waste of opportunity to get a perfect launch going.

Cyrilix said:
I'll agree that nVidia's drivers are the main thing that's holding me back from buying an 8800 GTX right now. To have such a nice hard launch, only to mess it up with drivers that change performance when you boot your computer... what a waste of opportunity to get a perfect launch going.

Really, it's complete bullshit. I don't know whether or not this is because of the motherboard chipset and drivers, or if it's the video card drivers, or even just the combination of the two.

One thing is for certain, with a single card, I got awesome performance with my P5W DH. Since I installed the eVGA 680i, I have seen worse performance.

Well, I played around with the only game I was having issues with (GTA: San Andreas) and the game still hard locks my PC (nv4_display blue screen eventually follows) whenever I target someone and then hit the secondary fire button.
Beyond that, everything's fine for me. Luckily my card never gave me any more issues.

Yeah these drivers out so far are super buggy. I play a lot on my computer and have witnessed some horrible bugs. Like in W.o.W. i was on the zeplin and was making my way over to another area and when the new area loaded the frames went to shit again. I ran around hoping it was just for a little bit but where i was getting 60 frames locked............ my card went down to 40frames - 16fps....... back to 40 and right back to 10fps. WTF right. I logout and reboot. Still the same problems. So i use my only remedy so far............ uninstalled driver, cleaned them and then did fresh install.................... BAM back to super performance. Man i cant wait for a new set of drivers. Very unstable so far for me.

wow.. I didn't have time to play with these drivers last night.. the xmas tree buying and setting up took longer than expected... will hopefully get to that tonight..

Dan_D - so when you go back to single card with your 680i board you still get craptacular performance? that fucking sucks.. man, I am glad I hesitated on that..

Domingo said:
on a related note, Guru3D also got some new 93 series beta drivers up today, too.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205560
I'll might try these out when I get home.

The 93.81 betas are NOT for the 8800 series cards though, correct?? I think the release notes don't list the 8800s as compatible. I will be very excited, however, to see some half-way decent drivers released for us 8800 series card owners! Please help us good people of nVidia...

brachy33 said:
The 93.81 betas are NOT for the 8800 series cards though, correct?? I think the release notes don't list the 8800s as compatible. I will be very excited, however, to see some half-way decent drivers released for us 8800 series card owners! Please help us good people of nVidia...

I dunno - I can't try 'em out until I get home :) The release date is certainly after the official 8800 launch, though...so let's hope!
Worst case scenario, we have to wait for the 10x series in Dec/Jan. Those were supposedly the intended 8800x "launch" drivers that got pushed back.

the combination of evga drivers on cd for the mobo and 8800gtx sli'd worked great for 24 hrs, then down to 16fps for me...same problem i think....i knew it was driver related from start...i uninstalled anything/everything nvidia/evga, flashed evga 680i bios, newst drivers for mobo and 8800gtx, voila! better 3dmark06 than initial install....no problems or reoccurances of this bug. ;)

So whats the verdict on these new drivers. I havent had a chance to install them yet .... been working late alot. Anyways i wanted to see if anyone is having good experiences with them.

Dan_D said:
Really, it's complete bullshit. I don't know whether or not this is because of the motherboard chipset and drivers, or if it's the video card drivers, or even just the combination of the two.

One thing is for certain, with a single card, I got awesome performance with my P5W DH. Since I installed the eVGA 680i, I have seen worse performance.
I had the same exact problem when the 7800gtx's came out, I got my 3 the same day they were released and had probs with sli due to drivers for about 6 months til better drivers came out, but since you are the mobo editor you should of been aware that nvidia new series releases are always messed up due to drivers for a few months after release. I have 1 8800gtx and it runs great but the drivers are crap, I expected it to some degree but not as bad as they have been especially as a shitload of options are missing in the drivers, that I wasnt prepared for. But I knew when I bought the 8800gtx that it was gonna be a case of messing with drivers for the next 4+ months til I find a leet set.

revenant said:
wow.. I didn't have time to play with these drivers last night.. the xmas tree buying and setting up took longer than expected... will hopefully get to that tonight..

Dan_D - so when you go back to single card with your 680i board you still get craptacular performance? that fucking sucks.. man, I am glad I hesitated on that..

Well, I'm making progress on this thanks to some help from the guys here at the [H]. I've tried a number of different drivers, and things have improved. I get decent performance off of a single card, but only in OpenGL games. In Direct 3D Games, I get sub par performance, but I am getting better performance than I did.

str4ng said:
Do anyone know if the Source games' fog problem are fixed?

I don't know about Half Life, but Dark Messiah still has problems that nVidia is working on.

Another problem I now has is that the nVidia control panel no longer works. I can no longer disable SLi. I'm working on that too.

Well I have no problem with the 97.02's and P5W DH. I've played NWN2, Dark Messiah, Far Cry, HL2 E#1.

I did have problems with slowdown and weird gfx in HL2 (requiring Driver Cleaner and driver re-install) but that was only after I'd used ATi tool and NVtray together. I uninstalled them, and now I just use ntune to set fan speed, and Rivatuner to monitor temps and I've had no issues at all.

I'm happy sticking with the 97.02's until there are new drivers with improved performance or an improved control panel.

Dan_D said:
Another problem I now has is that the nVidia control panel no longer works. I can no longer disable SLi. I'm working on that too.

I just got my GTX today and have had trouble from the "Get Go". Drivers from the BFG disc didn't install right so, I unistalled them and used nVIDIA's reference drivers. Control Panel will not open, tried 2 sets of betas, Control Panel will not open. Uninstalled, used driver cleaner, re-installed, Control Panel will not open, Uninstalled video drivers, and chipset drivers, used driver cleaner, re-installed everything, Control Panel will not open. Played a little Oblivion, looks good, a little choppy here and there but, I can't modify any driver settings as...you guessed it...Control Panel will not open. If I weren't already bald...I'd be pulling my hair out... :eek:

thespymaster said:
I just got my GTX today and have had trouble from the "Get Go". Drivers from the BFG disc didn't install right so, I unistalled them and used nVIDIA's reference drivers. Control Panel will not open, tried 2 sets of betas, Control Panel will not open. Uninstalled, used driver cleaner, re-installed, Control Panel will not open, Uninstalled video drivers, and chipset drivers, used driver cleaner, re-installed everything, Control Panel will not open. Played a little Oblivion, looks good, a little choppy here and there but, I can't modify any driver settings as...you guessed it...Control Panel will not open. If I weren't already bald...I'd be pulling my hair out... :eek:

The standard uninstallation for the nVidia 8800GTX drivers doesn't work correctly right now. There are some entries that get left over, and even seem to get missed by driver cleaner. I had this same problem with the control panel not opening on my system.

Heres something to do on your system. I used method 2, and it worked. Be warned, edit the registry at your own risk.

1) Uninstall NVIDIA driver using one of two methods

a) Control Panel - Add/Remove programs - Select NVIDIA Drivers - chose "remove only the following" and select "NVIDIA Display Driver" or b) Right click on desktop screen/Properties/Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Adapter/Properties/Driver/Uninstall

2) After uninstalling the NVIDIA driver, reboot into standard Microsoft VGA driver mode

3) Go to Start > Run > and type "regedit"- select HKey Local Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video and delete ALL keys. Also go into HKey Local Machine/System/ControlSet001, 002, 003 (if they exist), and delete any keys down the /Control/Video paths similar to above.

Give that a shot, and install the 97.02 driver, which is what nVidia recommends right now. You can use 97.28, or whatever other driver you choose, but I'd honestly recommend 97.02 myself at this point. The others simply didn't work that well for me.

Never use drivers from the CD's that come with hardware unless you can't find anything newer. The drivers that come with the hardware are almost always out of date. The CD you got should have version 69.98 on it, which is the first release driver.

Yes, Dan's suggestion is a good one!

I finally got Rivatuner working with 97.28 drivers!

Thank you!

I tried the 97.28s out of curiousity and it is confirmed that HL2's fog problem is indeed fixed. That makes me happy, it's the primary game that I play.

Dan_D said:
Heres something to do on your system. I used method 2, and it worked. Be warned, edit the registry at your own risk.

3) Go to Start > Run > and type "regedit"- select HKey Local Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video and delete ALL keys. Also go into HKey Local Machine/System/ControlSet001, 002, 003 (if they exist), and delete any keys down the /Control/Video paths similar to above.

Yeah, edit at own risk...hosed my machine...So much so that I can't even do a repair install of Windows...Hell, I can't even format and re-install...at the "Starting Windows Setup" screen, I get this..."Session3_Initialization_Failed" BSOD. I've completely removed every single piece of hardware in my computer and disconnected every single USB/Firewire cable there is, I've loaded Default BIOS, and am running off of On Board VGA, no sound, no NIC, Nothing...now Windows refuses to install...Dan, mind you I'm not upset with you for your suggestion, I've been building computers for many, many years and understand the risks...I'm really P.O.'ed at nVIDIA for releasing such a POS (Driver) that is causing so many people so many problems...should've waited for R600... :rolleyes:

*EDIT* Boot Problem Fixed...Drivers still blow... :rolleyes:

Back