Rising Storm 2 Vietnam announced.

I am playing this waiting for Insurgency: Sandstorm. I think it is decent, but wished it would be more tactical somewhat.

And you know there was BC2 in 2010, and BF3 in 2011. That's 2-3 years after the year I quoted.

And battlefield 2 in 2005 looks fucking terrible, even though it was very sexy on-release.

Is it so hard for you to acknowledge that the engine graphics are 2007-2008-era? It's really not that bad looking.

RS2 looks like a mid-gen DX9 game. BF:BC2 was a last-gen DX9 game ("DX10" support in name only), and so looks a little better. BF3 was their first DX10 native title, and it REALLY shows! So of course it looks better than this game.

But BF3 is a 2011 release. Quit overstating the graphics deficit just to give yourself something to complain about.

Please tell me where I complained about the graphics? I stated it was my initial review. For a $22 game it is acceptable to me. I am complaining about the terrain glitches and sound issues however. Those will surely be eventually fixed. My BF3 comment was in direct response to Comix question.

Have fun reading the rest of the internet emotionally.

It feels closer to RO to me. RO2/RS moved closer to BF. This situates itself right in the middle. Both in gameplay and map design.
I don't agree at all it feels more like its leaning to the arcade side of things favoring rushing while running and gunning with little regard for my own life, unlike what you get in ro1/2.

Map design is the worst part on defense on multiple occasions, i found places where i could just camp in a building close to the enemy spawn just shooting them in the back as they run past as the out of bounds is too forgiving

I am playing this waiting for Insurgency: Sandstorm. I think it is decent, but wished it would be more tactical somewhat.
sandstorm i think is just insurgency with updated graphics. so far every game I've played on unreal engine has had sketchy performance and awkward character movement.

I don't agree at all it feels more like its leaning to the arcade side of things favoring rushing while running and gunning with little regard for my own life, unlike what you get in ro1/2.

Map design is the worst part on defense on multiple occasions, i found places where i could just camp in a building close to the enemy spawn just shooting them in the back as they run past as the out of bounds is too forgiving

Most of the arcade like things came from RO2 - fast mantling speed, running cancelling reloads, fast reload times, magical bandages, that over done suppression and more. But Anti Matter / TW reigned some of that back in by toning down the suppression, making reload times more realistic, no experimental prototypes that were never mass produced and more. And they removed character leveling!

Maps may need balancing but they're closer to RO1 in style. RO2 shipped with a number of shoebox sized maps. Apartments was Danzig compressed, coupled with the mantling made running through it so quick. Then there was that map that took place in 2-3 buildings that was very claustrophobic. A lot of the RS2 maps start in urban areas and expand to larger outdoor areas. The first RO game had lot of maps that changed in play as you traversed from different objective zones. I'm glad to see that come back.

the only things i miss from RO2 are blind fire and slow death, nothing else !

bandaging takes a lot of time now, same as building a tunnel for charlies ( lol :D )
had some fun last night while tinkering with the radioman and squad leader roles, might upload another video soon.

sound design is a mixed bag imho, if you take a good listen at this video you'll notice that many things sounded better - more distinct back in the close beta 5, ( CB5 was when they first introduced the Wwise audio engine )

youtube.com/watch?v=If1U2zOacR0&t=174s

bullet cracks were loud and clear, you could easily locate choppers and recon planes by sound alone ( not on the Z axis but still ...) guns sounded better ( that's personal preference )

I'm sure many things will get reworked along the road.

We are continuing to work on many of the community’s top issues, including targeted fixes which we’ll be sharing later this week as they go into internal testing in time for launch on the 30th. But development does not stop there.

While many of the team continue to work towards launch, the rest of the team continues to forge ahead. Level designers and artists are working towards post-release content, such as maps and weapons, while the engine team is prototyping sweeping changes to the rendering system to help tackle performance bottlenecks.

As you can see, launch is just another beginning for us here at Tripwire Interactive, Antimatter Games, and you, the players. We are planning for some exciting new content already and can’t wait to see what the community comes up with via the modding SDK!

TWI has a proven track record on optimization and free content distribution :)

Last edited:
no impressed so far. game doesn't have much depth. i hate how the leaning works. seems too easy to kill people and die. and with a 4 second respawn there doesn't seem to be much reason to avoid dying. most of the time I can get back to where I died in 10 seconds. playing this game makes me wish ea did vietnam instead of wwi. its a ok game the $13 price on cdkeys. I guess you get what you pay for sometimes. I'd rather have a better game though even if it meant paying more.

I noticed a few things, unless they changed the key bindings:

1) You can't swap MG barrels. One of the unique features of the series and it gone? :(
2) No usable ironsights for scoped weapons. One of the few good things RO2 brought is gone.

Depth wise, the main problem is the lack of maps. I don't recall how many maps RO1 shipped with, but after updates and many community maps (most of which were on par with the developers) that were integrated into the game, there were about 20+. RS2 only has 7 at launch. Aside from that, it has the same depth of any BF game really. Back in the day, BF2 seemed very shallow and lazy compared to RO. For a big budget game it was missing many features and had a lack of quality. 2D iron sights, horrible shooting mechanics, floaty movement, ect. Ironically, RO2/RS feels a bit floaty where as BF3/4 added some weight to the movement. And the shooting mechanics aren't too bad in those either.

Funny how things change over time.

I noticed a few things, unless they changed the key bindings:

1) You can't swap MG barrels. One of the unique features of the series and it gone? :(
2) No usable ironsights for scoped weapons. One of the few good things RO2 brought is gone.

Depth wise, the main problem is the lack of maps. I don't recall how many maps RO1 shipped with, but after updates and many community maps (most of which were on par with the developers) that were integrated into the game, there were about 20+. RS2 only has 7 at launch. Aside from that, it has the same depth of any BF game really. Back in the day, BF2 seemed very shallow and lazy compared to RO. For a big budget game it was missing many features and had a lack of quality. 2D iron sights, horrible shooting mechanics, floaty movement, ect. Ironically, RO2/RS feels a bit floaty where as BF3/4 added some weight to the movement. And the shooting mechanics aren't too bad in those either.

Funny how things change over time.
bf2 had more of everything than RS2 vietnam has. weapons, tanks, jets, buggies, jeeps, bigger maps. I dont even think the two should be compared. you can call RS2 vietnam - battlefield 2 with increased bullet damage and small maps.

bf2 had more of everything than RS2 vietnam has. weapons, tanks, jets, buggies, jeeps, bigger maps. I dont even think the two should be compared. you can call RS2 vietnam - battlefield 2 with increased bullet damage and small maps.

Quantity over quantity. BF2 was very lack luster for its time (2005). Outside of pretty graphics there was not much quality to been seen in that game. Crap weapons, undeveloped features, horrid draw distance, crap vehicles, crap sounds, crap movement, nothing unique to set it apart from other run of the mill shooters, you name it. Don't recall how many maps it had outside of paid expansions. A more fair comparison for the time would be RO Ost, which utterly blew BF2 away in quality (outside of graphics). So much so that it was only until BF3 (2011) that DICE copied a lot of mechanics from it. Don't recall how many maps that had at launch (12-16?), but I believe it had around 26 by the time the developers stopped updating it.

RS2 certainly has a lack of content, but seeing as it is essentially an updated standalone expansion to RO2/RS, I expected as much. But the good news is more maps are on the way, and modders will make more over time. Weapon wise, the only thing I'd really like to see is the K-50 SMG. I am glad RS2 went back to the roots of the series and isn't throwing a bunch of crappy prototype guns that don't make sense for the theme.

Quantity over quantity. BF2 was very lack luster for its time (2005). Outside of pretty graphics there was not much quality to been seen in that game. Crap weapons, undeveloped features, horrid draw distance, crap vehicles, crap sounds, crap movement, nothing unique to set it apart from other run of the mill shooters, you name it. Don't recall how many maps it had outside of paid expansions. A more fair comparison for the time would be RO Ost, which utterly blew BF2 away in quality (outside of graphics). So much so that it was only until BF3 (2011) that DICE copied a lot of mechanics from it. Don't recall how many maps that had at launch (12-16?), but I believe it had around 26 by the time the developers stopped updating it.

RS2 certainly has a lack of content, but seeing as it is essentially an updated standalone expansion to RO2/RS, I expected as much. But the good news is more maps are on the way, and modders will make more over time. Weapon wise, the only thing I'd really like to see is the K-50 SMG. I am glad RS2 went back to the roots of the series and isn't throwing a bunch of crappy prototype guns that don't make sense for the theme.
I loved the vehicles in bf2. the jets and helos were all great to fly. I think twl and cal had dog fight and tank ladders for bf2. the ground and air vehicles in bf2 to this day are the best I've played. I remember them handling so well but they still felt real like they had weight to them. the hit detection was horrible.

bf2 and bf2142 had commander, bc2 and bf3 did not, commander role in bf4 was simply an afterthought, many servers have that "option" disabled lol, and don't get me started on the BF1 casual fest ....

in bf2 heyday hit reg was unreliable and laggy ( escpecially when you were up against a dolphin diving SOB ) mouse input was horrible ( no proper 1:1 response ) graphics were pretty good considering the huge scale and the age of the refractor engine.
3d audio was pure sex with a x-fi soundcard and decent pair of headphones, CQB felt wonky and many infantry maps were a grenade spam fest BUT .....

64p maps were ENORMOUS, weapon unlocks were tough, ranking and medals were tough as well, BF2 was one of the very first MP games with ranks and unlocks but those things took immense amounts of skill and/or dedication compared to systems intergrated in the later games ...

anyway back on topic

Flogger23m er23m double check your bindings, barrel swaping and secondary sights are a thing since early beta ( along with bayonet dettaching-reattachaching, a popular RO feature that never made it in RO2/RS1 :/ )

Hello Everyone!

We’ve been excited to see so many faces running around in game and enjoying it! Thank you from all of us at Tripwire and Antimatter Games for taking a chance on Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, we hope it will be a game you enjoy for many years to come.

Now, let us discuss our short term and long term goals. We are still working out our long term support plans and what that means in terms of content over the coming years but we will be updating the Trello Roadmap as we continue to do so. In the short term, we have not only been in game playing with you to see everything you are seeing, but also reading your posts and support tickets, and have started working on fixing many of these issues.

The following is a list of items we are targeting for the first patch, update 1.01. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND that we CANNOT guarantee we will fix these items in this patch and it is subject to change (with both additional fixes or the removal of some), but it is our intent to.
  • Prototype rendering system - We briefly talked about this before launch and our engine team has continued to work on this system. We believe we can start fully testing this internally over the next week and if all goes well we hope to include it in the first patch. This system should help move the current performance bottleneck from many computer configurations from their CPU to their GPU.
  • Crash fixes, with the priority on launch crashes
  • Many map collision and geometry fixes. We are trying to fix up as many loose ends here as we can.
  • A condition in which CuChi will not progress past Objective F
  • Black screen that can result while dieing when attempting to leave a helicopter
  • Several weapon animation issues and glitches with specific weapons that have been reported
  • A mantle condition that can cause the player to teleport someplace unexpected (to both them and the other team)
  • Delay in round start after team swap when certain conditions are met
  • Several localization fixes
  • A case where clients and servers can get out of sync
  • Off target napalm strikes
  • Memory leak that could be a major cause of stuttering
  • Vehicle VoIP channel not working properly
  • Spooky gunship attenuation not working properly so it sounds like it is landing next to you
  • Player death screams attenuating too soon making them mostly inaudible
  • And more (and with additional fixes already lining up for 1.02 that we feel won’t make it in time for our 1.01 patch).

Items we would love additional community support in helping us track down:
  • Invalid packet errors - we are trying to figure out why this is happening to some users and looking for points of commonality
  • The memory leak listed above which seems to happen on a combination of high end hardware and potentially some software.
  • Hit Registration

And we are continuing to work on or plan solutions to the following issues:
  • DShK users being partially invisible (and a related crash)
  • Server browser/join improvements (to better reflect that players are already joining the game in front of you and that is why the server is full)
  • And others detailed on the Trello Roadmap

Last edited:
Made the mistake of buying this game over the weekend, HORRIBLE. Graphics are awful (PS2 game), maps are terrible, character randomly shakes while aiming and shooting gives recoil like my guy has noodle arms and can't hold onto the gun. Awful game. One round had a bunch of turds yelling cursewords in the mic and making middle school jokes.

Made the mistake of buying this game over the weekend, HORRIBLE. Graphics are awful (PS2 game), maps are terrible, character randomly shakes while aiming and shooting gives recoil like my guy has noodle arms and can't hold onto the gun. Awful game. One round had a bunch of turds yelling cursewords in the mic and making middle school jokes.

WOW yeah the arms don't looks very realistic they are like Counter Strike stiff arms.

WOW yeah the arms don't looks very realistic they are like Counter Strike stiff arms.

i wish they were counterstrike stiff arms, maybe then after firing 1 round my gun wouldn't be pointing straight up into the air

there is also no obvious kill notification, so i never knew if i actually got a person or not. very annoying game

i wish they were counterstrike stiff arms, maybe then after firing 1 round my gun wouldn't be pointing straight up into the air

there is also no obvious kill notification, so i never knew if i actually got a person or not. very annoying game

That is the overdone suppression. Don't stand in the open and it isn't as bad as RO2 or DH. That and some guns have slightly exaggerated recoil for balance (RPD when standing). Otherwise most weapons are easy to control. 3-4 shot bursts with the M16 are easy to keep on target even at "pixel distance". Graphics are more or less the same as RO2, which was "meh" when it came out. There is an option to turn off mic receive volume in the options under audio. I did it so I don't hear anymore. The community is largely the Steam community now, so they use the mic like CS / TF / whatever other popular game. I blame Killing Floor's success for that. But, easy fix as mentioned. Also turn off the player comments to critical only, so you don't hear those cheesy lines your soldier utters. Change those two things and you'll like the game much more. The kill notification is delayed. So if you throw a grenade into a room, you will have to be mindful and ensure everyone is dead. No instant kill feed to spoon feed you. But the delay is fairly short in this game, 3-4 seconds if that. In previous titles it was able to be set via the server to off entirely, delayed, or instant so keep that in mind.

I still can't figure out how to use the iron sights on sniper rifles. Looks like barrel swapping is gone. Fair enough, the M60 has a odd design where the massive bipods are attacked to the barrel itself meaning you had to carry an extra bipod with each barrel. I have no idea how the RPD is, but if anything it does not have it for balance. They just need to change the over heating effect as it looks very odd, emits in an almost sphere like form on the receiver, and just over heats so quickly.

jbonez21 you can see if you got the guy or not by looking at the killfeed in your HUD (top right corner)

killfeed does not refresh instantly for obvious reasons, you just have to wait for it and/or shoot at the target until you see a blood splash

had a pretty intense NLF round yesterday actually - more than 20 kills and lots of "oh shit" moments !! RS2 vietnam is asymmetric warfare at its finest imho

go back to bf/cod - l2p - git gud etc :p

Flogger23m check your bindings, it's the same key that allows you to change firemode (mouse5 in my case)

jbonez21 you can see if you got the guy or not by looking at the killfeed in your HUD (top right corner)

killfeed does not refresh instantly for obvious reasons, you just have to wait for it and/or shoot at the target until you see a blood splash

had a pretty intense NLF round yesterday actually - more than 20 kills and lots of "oh shit" moments !! RS2 vietnam is asymmetric warfare at its finest imho

Flogger23m check your bindings, it's the same key that allows you to change firemode (mouse5 in my case)

Graphics looko good looks like they were going for a clean look.

It's a really old engine. The only way I could see myself playing this game would be on a private server with organized teams.

That didn't work in the past. Very odd! I will try again today.

55cbd20831cdf887ae5c021603661f79f38b3146.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/announcements/detail/1452827317622218334

just got my rival 310 in the mail - perfect timing :D

Increased suppression is the only change I don't like. I was glad RS Vietnam got over that crap.

they increased it even more? I'll remember to keep forgetting to play this game

Unless I read it wrong, LMGs are getting a 25% boost to suppression. I thought it was fine as it was. A bit over done in some parts, but reduction of scope sway seems to have mitigated it in some instances. But putting more overall? Not going to be a fan.

1.03 update is finally here

3f286d4de4387939f8cd2d0e668d7cb296fe9d94.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/games/418...il&utm_term=0_28ba22386d-e6739704cb-460354841

To coincide with the update we are running a Shake and bake Double XP Week that ends on Sept 5th! Make sure you look good while running through the jungle by getting that next set of unlocks today! And for those of you who may not have picked up Rising Storm 2: Vietnam yet or have been working to convince your friends they need to join you - There will be a Steam Free Weekend starting Thursday.

:)

I will have another go at it. Still do not have much hope bc of that game engine.

Sounds like a nice update. Thought we'd see South Vietnamese forces first, but I'll take Aussies and Kiwis. The extra weapons will certainly be nice. Although a number can still be added for the North Vietnamese. They need to add the Vietnamese made K-50 SMG. No better game to feature a Vietnamese made weapon.

the update is sheduled for 28/11 !!!!11

Hello everyone,

While many of you have been keeping watch (or even helping us out on the Community Test Branch - our continued thanks for your input and feedback) on the upcoming Bushranger Content Update, today we wanted to do a quick summary of what it is, as well as new details (such as when it will release!)

The Bushranger Content Update brings you a new faction, the Australian army along with its:
  • 5 New Weapons: The L1A1 Battle Rifle, L2A1 LMG, Owens SMG, F1 SMG, and the Browning Hi Power pistol
  • New Helicopter - The Bushranger Huey Gunship
  • New Commander Ability - Canberra Bomber

b6530def0a99f7ff415a73d3389e7c0def904606.jpg

Australian Forces will be fighting it out in 3 new official maps
  • TE-Rung Sac - a new landscape to learn and conquer
  • SU-Operation Forrest - the largest stock map to date
  • TE-Long Tan - bringing darkness and the rain as new factors players will need to consider

2487175650dca47bc5512e6a43ddb495409e2ae0.jpg

And the United States Army faction are also picking up a new weapon to add to their arsenal, the XM177E1 carbine. All this along with new features such as 3D positional VOIP, new quality of life improvements, and bug fixes should be coming to you next week! The current plan has this update rolling out next week on Tuesday, November 28th.

For those that may not know, this update and all of the previously mentioned content are free for all players.

If players want to help provide for future free content updates such as the Bushranger Content Update, one of the new features is an in-game store where players can purchase the Digital Deluxe upgrade as well as unlocking some new cosmetic items (with one exclusive item) for the Australian forces. This cosmetic unlock package will be priced at $7.99. And, just be very clear - these are cosmetic items only - and they can be earned simply through gameplay, so long as you play enough (except for one item)!

We look forward to seeing you in game next week as we head back into the jungles! And if you want to join us earlier, you can find us playing on our Community Map Server in Frankfurt later today! Details can be found here:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/events/3213744694723520534

hyped af, all i ever wanted from this game was a little more content and they seem to have delivered in spades :D :D

another content update, for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeEeeeEeE :D

the game is also open for everyone to try out this weekend

jump in :)

ARVN added. For the most part they use WWII weapons. I liked two of the new maps I tried. It seems like the Aussie maps fell out of favor too quick because I liked their weapons. I don't mind WWII weapons but I played those a lot in Rising Storm.

My only major complaint is the M2 Carbine recoil. It seems to recoil more than an AK, but doesn't have the accuracy of any of the other rifles. I understand it is an anemic round with a short range, but I didn't think the M2 would recoil so much. Might need to be toned down a bit.

"modding is a declinig trend" - some random EA DICE bitch :D

wanna play so much right now :/

Last edited:
Back