Rising Storm 2 Vietnam announced.

I signed up for beta months ago. Not exactly pleased that I haven't been invited. Especially given that I own the previous games.

Sticking with Day of Infamy for now.

I signed up for beta months ago. Not exactly pleased that I haven't been invited. Especially given that I own the previous games.

Sticking with Day of Infamy for now.
I did the same and have 1200 hours in RO2, and didn't get a key.

But I went on twitch, and got a key from a streamer.

We are not entitled to anything being "veterans" of the series.

I did the same and have 1200 hours in RO2, and didn't get a key.

But I went on twitch, and got a key from a streamer.

We are not entitled to anything being "veterans" of the series.

Totally agree. I used to work in game devolve mentioned. To some degree too much feedback can be a bad thing.

Still, a bit disappointed there wasn't an open beta period. I really dislike when beta keys are primarily given to influencers to pump up a product and get free advertising.

Those environmental textures look like they were made for ~2001 PC, are they going to be put into a new engine before release or something? It looks so antiquated.

Those environmental textures look like they were made for ~2001 PC, are they going to be put into a new engine before release or something? It looks so antiquated.

Textures are actually pretty good, my videos don't do them much justice due to to compression.

you can check my graphics settings on the 3:05 mark ( youtube.com/watch?v=Ks6RrYL629I&t=3m05s )

set "world detail" to "low" a few hours before wave 6 ended, had same really bad slowdowns, hopefully next beta will run better, gpu usage is horrible on my r9 390 when the server was filled with players.

That link isn't working :(

it was only 80 keys anyway, try your luck with this link if you haven't done already https://tripwireinteractive.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=0b638f09c7c45666e46052ede&id=57b4e6d4e9

there were only 7000 keys available when I got my invite, devs themselves reported over 120k invite requests at the time.

as always, you can check this section daily for news and updates http://forums.tripwireinteractive.c...s-and-announcements/news-and-announcements-ag

PS : an open beta has been confirmed by the devs, wave 7 is the final stage of closed beta.

Last edited:
Yeah. I was lucky to get in the last beta. Some people were saying they had played from the start. The consensus was that the game had improved. My assessment is that it needs optimizing. The graphics are ok. Not much better than the original games. The gameplay is what might set the game apart. It is a bit too easy to die IMO. They would need a bit of an easier mode for this to be a success. As a game played by good squads? Could be really fun. Just runs like crap occasionally and I died alot. I did not have much time to play however. So my opinion is based on about two hours of play time. I did not like the city map. Ho cho mihn? Big time corner camp fest. You try and leave spawn and WHAP.

There might be an open beta at some point. Hopefully by then we can prone without sliding around and not have so much hitching. Otherwise I can't wait for the realism servers and eventual custom maps made by the community in the coming years.

Yeah. I was lucky to get in the last beta. Some people were saying they had played from the start. The consensus was that the game had improved. My assessment is that it needs optimizing. The graphics are ok. Not much better than the original games. The gameplay is what might set the game apart. It is a bit too easy to die IMO. They would need a bit of an easier mode for this to be a success. As a game played by good squads? Could be really fun. Just runs like crap occasionally and I died alot. I did not have much time to play however. So my opinion is based on about two hours of play time. I did not like the city map. Ho cho mihn? Big time corner camp fest. You try and leave spawn and WHAP.

Well, it is the defenders responsibility to defend the caps ie. camping corners. If you want BF style conquest then Supremacy is your gig. Hue City is a very fun map when you have people utilizing classes properly (SL's staying alive, proper use of smoke from pointman, lmg's laying suppressing fire on windows/doorways).

Plus that is why I, and some others, enjoy the RO/RS series. You die rather easily. Smoke, suppression, and proper use of classes will be even more important now (and communication). Running into the open is a bad idea when your enemy has a vast array of automatic weapons; it was still bad even in the RO2/RS games with bolt rifles. No doubt about it this game has a difficulty different from others FPS games.

Just wish I had more weapon choices as a pointman instead of the grease gun and shotty :D

I got in the Hue City map a bit late. The camp was on. Problem was that you could not even get an idea of the enemy location to counterattack. I have played the series in the past. I am not saying go BF level of damage but maybe a wee more than currently. I really had a hard time telling where fire was coming from too. Again, very limited play time. I might be totally wrong. The performance issues must improve though. The slowdowns were critical to the game play.

Hello everyone,

We here at Tripwire Interactive and Antimatter Games know that many of you are geared up and ready to jump into the next beta wave, so here is the news you’ve been waiting for: Closed Beta Wave 7 starts next Thursday, May 11th. As always, we’ll let everyone know when the servers are open on the day, so stay tuned via email, forums and discussion groups.

Everyone who already has a beta key will be able to join the test (no purchase required) as always. We will be sending out new beta keys to those on the original RS2: Vietnam mailing list who haven’t had one yet. In addition, expect some of our business partners to be giving out additional beta keys.

The only other way to get in on CB7 is to pre-purchase the game:

Everyone who has pre-purchased the game already, or does so before the test closes, will be able to get in on it.

Now as a reminder, current testers and pre-purchasers will not be able to launch/install the game until Closed Beta 7 starts (or shortly before).

We will also be streaming the game and answering game related questions from our Twitch account twitch.tv/tripwireinteractive as Closed Beta 7 starts! So come on in and hang out with us in the Stream as we answer questions from the community!

Last but not least, as part of this closed beta we will be making the server files available for Admins to test and host servers with. We will be making the usual rounds early next week with more information about that (so keep an eye on announcements and/or the Tripwire admin mailing list).

Thank you!

Tripwire Interactive & Antimatter Games

#HYPE

rs_355x210-140404140948-tumblr_moohomos111ql0k28o1_400.gif

PS : you bet your ass I have already preordered :D

RISING STORM 2: VIETNAM OFFICIALLY GOES INTO ACTION ON MAY 30th, CELEBRATES ANNOUNCEMENT WITH OPEN BETA
19 MAY - [TW]YOSHIRO
ROSWELL, GA – May 19, 2017 – Tripwire Interactive is pleased to announce today the official release date for Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, the sequel to the smash hit Rising Storm, PC Gamer’s 2013 ‘Multiplayer Game of the Year’. The game will be available to play at 12:00PM Pacific Time on Tuesday 30th May. Fans who pre-ordered should be able to pre-load before that. The game will also be available to buy via Steam, at a 10% discount for the day, with the Standard Edition available for $24.99 and the Digital Deluxe Edition priced at $29.99 normally.

To celebrate the impending release of Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, Publisher Tripwire Interactive and developer Antimatter Games are kicking off an Open Beta that begins today and runs until 4:00PM EDT on Monday, May 22nd. This will act just like a Free Weekend - head for the Steam Store page, download and play!

Tripwire Interactive is also including a new “goodie” for Killing Floor 2 PC owners who pre-order or buy the Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Digital Deluxe Edition. They will receive four bonus Rising Storm 2: Vietnam themed weapons skins to use in Killing Floor 2 for the PC. Those weapon skins include the RPG-7 rocket launcher, the M16 with M203 grenade launcher attachment, the M1911 automatic pistol and the classic Lever Action Rifle. Note – the weapon skins will be available as part of Killing Floor 2’s next major update which will be announced at a later date.

KF2_Skins_DDE_Promo.jpg

Tripwire and Antimatter Games have also created and released a series of tutorial videos for Rising Storm 2: Vietnam that offer up some great insights into the various aspects of gameplay. They can be viewed here.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam is currently under development by Antimatter Games and will be published by Tripwire Interactive for PC.

I am torn between getting this or not. The last builds added in a lot of fluff again. Stuff I was glad was absent from RS2 compared from RO2/RS made it back in. Take the odd "leaves on screen" effect when crouching against a wall. Like blood on the screen, but now leaves when in cover. When the first game came out many years ago the concept of suppression was neat and it did its job. But since Darkest Hour, everything takes it to crazy levels. Some of the LMGs are crazy inaccurate, but have high levels of "suppression" effects. Feels very CoD like in those instances. The RPD also overheats quicker than an AK, which makes it inferior for laying down lots of lead. Killing the whole point of the weapon / class. Then other odd things, like the M16 being more accurate in full auto than it is in semi. All weird balance decisions.

But it is better than RO2/RS. When the games doesn't force you into the SL role, commanders don't drop arty on your spawn then complain, ect. it can be a decent experience.

managed to record 1 full supremacy + 1 full territories game during the closed beta 7

youtube.com/watch?v=48Y94agSAgY&t=9m14s

youtube.com/watch?v=YYTjy7XyvZ0&t=26m07s

here's some skirmish mode footage that i recorded this morning, just in case you're not in the mood for the usual 32v32 clusterfuck :)

game comes out in a few days. I missed the open beta weekend. is there any teamwork? or is it like playing insurgency?

Last edited:
it plays like insurgency more or less, you can give some spare ammo to a machine gunner but that's it

squad leaders are more important here tho, and a commander has some very powerful assets in his arsenal ! the vietnamese side for example is hopeless without artillery support and AA coverage, there's even a radioman class so that you can do your thing without staying outside of the combat zone

youtube.com/watch?v=r7bzR99aGZ4&t=13m24s ( green radio icon "16m" )

FYI you can get RS1 + RO2 multiplayer for free atm

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/rising-storm-game-of-the-year-edition

There is teamwork. I heard it. Unfortunately, I was unable to ever play long enough to participate in it as I kept getting killed every time I moved out of cover. I am not a good reference beyond that. The people who had been playing absolutely were tight. I just never got a rhythm going. It is way different than say battlefield hardcore in terms of hearing incoming fire and even seeing the enemy. I don't want to say laggy but it felt that way at times.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this. Overall I think it is a good step in the right direction coming from RO2/RS. It didn't seem perfect in the beta (gameplay reasons), but I already have 16 hours in the beta. I think I should be able to get another 20+ out of it at least.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
It sure sounds like fun. hard to say no for that price. $22 if you buy before release date

I did not enjoy the couple of sessions I played. Graphics are entirely too outdated, which I'd have gotten used to pretty quickly, but you are constantly getting stuck on terrain/debris/fences, some you can vault over, some you cannot, some you can only at certain angles. The game overall is very clunky, like RO2 was, but feels even moreso due to the jungle setting. The UI is far improved over previous games, but of course a new player from BF or COD would be completely lost anyways due to complexity of leadership roles.
Gun play seems ok, but also several classes seem like they are far too gimped to be useful in all but extremely niche setups. For example the grenadier is good as a room/building clearer, but he's got a very slow reload and his main weapon is pretty weak IIRC. Seems like Artillery and attack helicopters completely determine the outcome of rounds... which of course means if one team doesn't have a good commander/spotters, they'll 100% lose. This seemed in RO2 not as much of a thing (but in rising sun it was like that).
The RPG on vietcong side, I didn't like the aiming/acceleration, I was pretty damn good in older BF games with judging distance/trajectories, in this zero luck, but its probably me.

There's just too much else out there IMO and this game doesn't have enough good to keep me around. From what I've read there are better / more interesting team based "semi-realistic" shooters out there to choose from, like Squad.

I did not enjoy the couple of sessions I played. Graphics are entirely too outdated, which I'd have gotten used to pretty quickly, but you are constantly getting stuck on terrain/debris/fences, some you can vault over, some you cannot, some you can only at certain angles. The game overall is very clunky, like RO2 was, but feels even moreso due to the jungle setting. The UI is far improved over previous games, but of course a new player from BF or COD would be completely lost anyways due to complexity of leadership roles.
Gun play seems ok, but also several classes seem like they are far too gimped to be useful in all but extremely niche setups. For example the grenadier is good as a room/building clearer, but he's got a very slow reload and his main weapon is pretty weak IIRC. Seems like Artillery and attack helicopters completely determine the outcome of rounds... which of course means if one team doesn't have a good commander/spotters, they'll 100% lose. This seemed in RO2 not as much of a thing (but in rising sun it was like that).
The RPG on vietcong side, I didn't like the aiming/acceleration, I was pretty damn good in older BF games with judging distance/trajectories, in this zero luck, but its probably me.

There's just too much else out there IMO and this game doesn't have enough good to keep me around. From what I've read there are better / more interesting team based "semi-realistic" shooters out there to choose from, like Squad.
have you played squad? much of what you described is what I would say about squad. but its still one of the best battlefield games I've played since bf2 probably. the team work and somewhat realism are what makes it.

like this
have you played squad? much of what you described is what I would say about squad. but its still one of the best battlefield games I've played since bf2 probably. the team work and somewhat realism are what makes it.

Yeah Squad is much more confusing when it comes to the commanders and whatnot. And the maps are very barren and ugly. Plus, the reload times are exceptionally slow. It is also painful to watch them role their rifle to the side each time you reload. The only thing I liked about Squad was the weapon sounds (probably the best in any game, period) and the ballistics. Overall feel of the weapons was nice to, but over exaggerated sway and the like killed it for me.

I find RO2 / RS2 to be more clunky than RO1 when it comes to getting stuck on stuff. Some things are better, but I found RO1 to be the least clunky in the series. But I think RS2 hits a decent middle ground between RO1 and 2, so I'll probably get it.

like this
Yeah, Squad has always tempted me, but then $40 for an unproven game dev company always left me waiting.

And no demo? Does anybody besides me remember how a completely unknown company entranced gamers with their Wake Island demo?

The reviews I've read recently on draw distances issues continue to stop me from dropping the cash. I'm a lot more willing to drop HALF THAT on a game company with a HISTORY.

Last edited:

FYI there's 12 tutorial videos hosted at the same channel, each runs about 2-3 minutes long

here's the squad leader tutorial

Last edited:
I don't have today off, so I have to wait till I get home to play.

Stupid release date wasn't Sunday (Memorial Day) for some crazy reason? But those tutorials can hold me over :D

Last edited:
lemme know how you guys are liking this who have already purchased it, i want to hear some [H] reviews before i go for it

I just bought it. Very rare for me to experiment with games this early but not being an EA/Ubi other mass million dollar shooter, Ill throw the studios some dollars. I respect the $22 price tag and will give it a fair shake. This is the first war shooter I bought since BF3.

Looks decent I wonder if they wanted to get a jump on Battlefield Vietnam

Tripwire same guys who made Killing Floor series.

game is being developed by the Antimatter studio actually, known for Rising Storm 1.

RS1 started off as a free total conversion for RO2, then tripwire reach out to the devs and offered them a deal so that they can make money out of their work, same thing story as the Day of Infamy mod ...

AFAIK tripwire employed some very talented guys from the IOM team as well

gameplay wise, RS2 is a much more refined/hardcore experience when compared to the default RO2/RS1 "realistic" setting

some key differences

1) RO2/RS1 had weapon attachment unlocks, in RS2 every tool is avalable from the get go, higher levels give more cosmectics to the player and nothing else !!

2) player tags and killfeed are now set client side ! this means that you can remove player name that appears when you aim at a friendly soldier (medium-close range) and/or customize the kill feed for extra immersion ( this setting seems to be still buggy atm :/ )

3) weapon recoil and sway are much more pronounced here , they can really mess your aim when you ADS

check my commander video again youtube.com/watch?v=r7bzR99aGZ4&t=27m22s , it's very difficult to align the sights properly after a long sprint because you're out of breath.

4) RS2 has only slight zoom when you ADS, RO2/RS1 had extra ADS zoom everytime you held the shift button (provided you were not suppressed)
in RS2 you can only get extra "ADS zoom" if you man a MG ( for balance reasons I suppose )

5) despite the jungle setting and the distinct presense of automatic weapons, it still plays very different from your typical BF/COD game while RO2 suffered a serious identity crisis back in the day, it was too "hardcore" for the BF fans while the RO1 vets felt allienated by all those realism "tweaks"

personally speaking, the most hated tweak was the implementation of "peripheral view indicators"

not that it's a bad feature, cold war rearmed ( arma 2 total conversion ) made it feel very realistic because those blobs where discreet and fully functional, you could even use those "green blobs" to stay in formation with the rest of of your squad instead of turning your virtual ahead around all the time.

in RO2/RO1 the same indicators were something like a visual aid for noobs with poor game sense and/or bad positional audio, this screenshot says it all i think

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191664052

^

grey blobs that appear only when there are enemies moving outside of your FoV (medium-close range) they also get bigger when you get closer, making you feel like a cyborg lol.

anyway, despite the low price tag this game needs proper post launch support with content updates rendering optimizations and bug fixes, the launch was arguably smoother RO2's (that thing was almost unplayable before the GOTY patch, INB4 achievement anyone ? :p ) but the game still feels and plays like a beta :)

Last edited:
Initial review after never having played any game from this studio:

1: graphics are from 2004
2: terrain has a lot of glitch spots or places of broken movement. (Get stuck and need to be killed to respawn, cant jump where you obviously should be able to, fall off cliff that doesn't exist)
3: The sound effect range is all over the place. Turret guns from planes/helos will shoot at you, once the plane flies by, the sound effect still follows you. Gun sounds of ground runners have distance issues as well.

Good things:
- Gameplay seems very solid and fairly balanced. This is obviously dependent on the team you have.
- there is very little bullet sponge effects ala BF series. You hit them once or twice in critical spots, they are down.
- spawn and game operation didn't show any real issues

Let's hope for more improvements but so far a decent game for $22.

How do the graphics compare to Player unknown Battlegrounds I wonder if they are just trying to
reach a bigger audience with lower end PCs. Are the graphics better than Battlefield 3 ???

Game feels like a huge step down from ro2 and rising storm 1 in pretty much every way imo. Feels closer to a battlefield game then RO which some may love.

Graphics are more from from 2008 era (game looks much better than BF2, but worse than BF:BC2. After playing the Battlefield 2 Revive, I know just how shitty 2005 looks in the world of large battle maps :D

But yeah, not liking the sound engine that much. Loud noises with very little direction or attenuation due to distance. THE SOUNDS THEMSELVES are solid though, so there's potential there if they fix the sound engine.

Everything else is pretty solid.

How do the graphics compare to Player unknown Battlegrounds I wonder if they are just trying to
reach a bigger audience with lower end PCs. Are the graphics better than Battlefield 3 ???

BF3 graphics blow RS2 out of the water. Not remotely comparable.

And you know there was BC2 in 2010, and BF3 in 2011. That's 2-3 years after the year I quoted.

And battlefield 2 in 2005 looks fucking terrible, even though it was very sexy on-release.

Is it so hard for you to acknowledge that the engine graphics are 2007-2008-era? It's really not that bad looking.

RS2 looks like a mid-gen DX9 game. BF:BC2 was a last-gen DX9 game ("DX10" support in name only), and so looks a little better. BF3 was their first DX10 native title, and it REALLY shows! So of course it looks better than this game.

But BF3 is a 2011 release. Quit overstating the graphics deficit just to give yourself something to complain about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabe3
like this
I played a couple rounds of Verdun (free right now on steam) last night and had much more fun.

Game feels like a huge step down from ro2 and rising storm 1 in pretty much every way imo. Feels closer to a battlefield game then RO which some may love.

It feels closer to RO to me. RO2/RS moved closer to BF. This situates itself right in the middle. Both in gameplay and map design. I'd prefer RO with modern graphics and some tweaks, but that won't happen and I think RS2 is as good as we'll get.

Not only that but I get double the frame rates in BF4 than I did in RS2 beta a few days prior to release. The graphics are ugly, but that is to be expected.

like this
Back