Rise of the Tomb Raider

Am I just spoiled or does it really feel like shit when this game dips into the low 40's high 30's in FPS? I don't remember it being so bad in some games but I feel like putting this game on the shelf until I have a much more powerful PC to play it at 60 fps. I think maybe my eyes have just become spoiled, but 35-45 fps feels like a slide show.

Even 60 fps in Tomb Raider feels sluggish to me. It isn't until the game hits mid 60's to low 70's fps that the game is smooth/fluid/snappy to me. Also, I've never understood why but on consoles, 30 fps is generally ok and playable for me but on pc, 30 fps is absolutely unplayable for me, as it's a choppy mess.

Crystal Dynamics needs to get some credit for the way you can easily jump right into the main menu of the game...maybe 5 seconds from the time you start the game on Steam to when you're in the main menu...all the manufacturer logos are condensed into 1 quick screen...none of these 10-15 second long unskippable intro videos...no musical Nvidia jingle, no flashy developer logo etc...nice and simple...maybe next we'll see quick end credits as well

rotr.jpg

Last edited:
Crystal Dynamics needs to get some credit for the way you can easily jump right into the main menu of the game...maybe 5 seconds from the time you start the game on Steam to when you're in the main menu...all the manufacturer logos are condensed into 1 quick screen...none of these 10-15 second long unskippable intro videos...no musical Nvidia jingle, no flashy developer logo etc...nice and simple...maybe next we'll see quick end credits as well

Agree. This should be standard practice for everyone. When I play games, I just want to get in as fast as possible and play and not wait around and stare at all these unnecessary screens.

Many games you can add stuff like -nointros into the launch properties on Steam. Or just delete all those logos/opening vids etc and it launches directly to the menu. Cause yea all the bs is annoying after the first time.

Gamestop has this for $18 Steam version. Under my $20 price so I bit. Also has the Season Pass for $9. Not sure that's worth it though, looks like it's mostly fluff. Would only be interested in the additional Tomb.

Thanks for the Gamestop tip it would probably take a entire year for the price on Steam. I suspect it will sell out in a few days....
I'm downloading it now no waiting....

Thanks for the Gamestop tip it would probably take a entire year for the price on Steam. I suspect it will sell out in a few days....
I'm downloading it now no waiting....
Nice. Was tempted to wait longer, I've bought more games this last month or so than in the last year+. Not sure when I'll fit this in.

LOL sale is over sorry if you missed out :p
Someone said on the steam forums it was a Glitch...

Even 60 fps in Tomb Raider feels sluggish to me. It isn't until the game hits mid 60's to low 70's fps that the game is smooth/fluid/snappy to me. Also, I've never understood why but on consoles, 30 fps is generally ok and playable for me but on pc, 30 fps is absolutely unplayable for me, as it's a choppy mess.

I think it's based on distance. Try sitting further from the screen. I first noticed this in the Witcher 3 where I would lean back with a controller.

I think it's based on distance. Try sitting further from the screen. I first noticed this in the Witcher 3 where I would lean back with a controller.

Ok, just tried it and it seemed to help a bit. Not that I would ever play a game at 30 fps on pc, but this is good to know and not something that I ever thought about trying. Thanks for the tip!

Finished it on SEXBONER and can't motivate myself to continue on PC. Double dipping never really works for me.

Finished it on SEXBONER and can't motivate myself to continue on PC. Double dipping never really works for me.

Yeah, I feel the same way, though in my case, I've only played the game on pc. But yeah, totally agree and I'd rather use that money and use that time to play a different game.

Am I just spoiled or does it really feel like shit when this game dips into the low 40's high 30's in FPS? I don't remember it being so bad in some games but I feel like putting this game on the shelf until I have a much more powerful PC to play it at 60 fps. I think maybe my eyes have just become spoiled, but 35-45 fps feels like a slide show.
The reason 30 fps feels so terrible is because it is stuttering terribly when it drops to that. More than likely you have run out of VRAM when it does this. This is opposed to simply drawing too much on the screen to handle more then 30 frames a second.

Ok, just tried it and it seemed to help a bit. Not that I would ever play a game at 30 fps on pc, but this is good to know and not something that I ever thought about trying. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah it was tempting since then I could really crank the IQ but it still bugged me.

You CAN get used to 30 FPS, but it's hard to once you know of higher.

I finished the Ice level 1st level I like how they placed the camera father away but zooms in when it wants to.

Yeah it was tempting since then I could really crank the IQ but it still bugged me.

You CAN get used to 30 FPS, but it's hard to once you know of higher.

Yeah, would not ever want to go back to 30 fps - way too hard. The main reason to play pc games is so that I don't have to run them at 30 fps. :)

Kinda like the first reboot, I dunno if I'll ever go back to the game after completing it. Is there a NG+? I only maxed out 2 of the guns and it could be fun starting over with heavy firepower.

Kinda like the first reboot, I dunno if I'll ever go back to the game after completing it. Is there a NG+? I only maxed out 2 of the guns and it could be fun starting over with heavy firepower.

No new game plus that I'm aware of, but you can go back to any of the old maps. Some of the npc's actually have new dialogue after you've beaten the game and go back to these old areas, which was kind of cool.

anyone play that card game?...is it actually fun?...I never touched it after beating the main game at 97% but I am interested in replaying this along with the first game again

The reason 30 fps feels so terrible is because it is stuttering terribly when it drops to that. More than likely you have run out of VRAM when it does this. This is opposed to simply drawing too much on the screen to handle more then 30 frames a second.

Yeah, it's amazing to me how shitty my gtx 780 has become, Maxwell I feel like is a disappointment overall in the longevity department. I'm just going to wait for Polaris or Pascal, I might ditch my 2500k at years end as well. This game needs tons of Vram, and 3gb just doesn't cut it at all.

You think that's bad? I'm running a 280x with an FX 8350. Big open areas in this game kill me.

anyone play that card game?...is it actually fun?...I never touched it after beating the main game at 97% but I am interested in replaying this along with the first game again
I don't really have an interest in playing it, but I might try it just to say I tried everything. It's basically just a challenge mode where you try to get more points on a leaderboard by making the game harder on yourself. The various cards you get can either buff or debuff you, with a corresponding decrease or increase in points.

I don't really have an interest in playing it, but I might try it just to say I tried everything. It's basically just a challenge mode where you try to get more points on a leaderboard by making the game harder on yourself. The various cards you get can either buff or debuff you, with a corresponding decrease or increase in points.

I guess it sounds better then any lame attempt at multiplayer

I never even figured out how to do anything with those cards. Where exactly do you access them?

patch #4 released...

We have just released the fourth PC patch for Rise of the Tomb Raider, build 1.0.629.3...This patch focuses primarily on adding stereoscopic 3D rendering...We know it was a favorite feature for many of our players on the previous Tomb Raider and based on your feedback we are bringing this to you now in Lara’s latest adventure...

Steam Community :: Group Announcements :: Rise of the Tomb Raider

hi guys, I'm lovin the game so much.
This game is really awesome.
Should I buy the season pass? Is there someone who bought the season pass?

I am not interested in costumes, weapons and so on, I'm interested in new missions that enlarge the main quest.
Do you recommend the season pass for this? How good are the added missions?

hi guys, I'm lovin the game so much.
This game is really awesome.
Should I buy the season pass? Is there someone who bought the season pass?

I am not interested in costumes, weapons and so on, I'm interested in new missions that enlarge the main quest.
Do you recommend the season pass for this? How good are the added missions?
There is no story mission DLC other than Baba Yaga which is like 2 hours long.

I just finished the game earlier, 100%! Finding the last few missed documents,relics,etc was starting to drive me nuts.

Review: Rise of the Tomb Raider: Endurance Mode

Endurance Mode is very light on story, offering up a shaky excuse for its existence which isn't even all that necessary. Lara, seemingly breaking from her travels, is in search of artifacts as is the evil mustache-twirling Trinity organization. Her job is to locate caves and recover said artifacts, then signal a helicopter and high-tail it out of there with as many goodies as she can grab. The catch is, players now have a food and warmth meter.

Last edited:
Now [H] needs to make an article comparing DX12 and DX11 for this game.

Also in this patch is VXAO for NVIDIA Maxwell cards. This is the first game with this new AO method, as far as I'm aware.

:O :O :O :O :O
I love this game

Testing DX11 vs DX12 on my 290 in the internal benchmark I seem to be getting higher lows on DX12, but overall it's a wash (came out ~59.9 fps on both). But that's the internal benchmark, hard to tell how representative it is. I should probably test without the framelimiter on, but I play with it so...

EDIT: reran without vsync/limiter. Seems a bit all over the place on my config. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Last edited:
Back