Rise of the Tomb Raider

Beat the game after 16 hours, was fun. This isn't a spoiler, but late in the game you find a random alien astronaut artifact; I thought aliens were gonna show up and fight with Jesus. They didn't :(

Last edited:
Does Lara Croft come off being pretty hot in this one? Some guys were complaining about her new CG look on this one. But if you played TR one for the PS1 I don't know what people expect. Also this game was ported to the PS3 and X-Box 360.

This game is gorgeous. :eek:

jfjVApA.jpg

P.S. Did anyone find a mouse sensitivity option in game or in a config file somewhere? I can't find it anywhere. Also, I can't seem to set waypoints on the map? Tried spacebar and the "Set Local Waypoint" button but nothing happens.

^What are your computer specs and what are the settings? Looks great!

Really tempted to get this game. Just need to finish Fallout 4.

I think my 980 can handle it but it's a bit bottled neck now due to processor. Need to upgrade.

^What are your computer specs and what are the settings? Looks great!

Really tempted to get this game. Just need to finish Fallout 4.

I think my 980 can handle it but it's a bit bottled neck now due to processor. Need to upgrade.

CPU: i7-4770k stock @ 3.50 GHz
GPU: MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6g stock

All settings at max using FXAA @ 2560x1600
Very pleased with the performance thus far. Some frame drops here and there but for the most part very smooth.

Does Lara Croft come off being pretty hot in this one? Some guys were complaining about her new CG look on this one. But if you played TR one for the PS1 I don't know what people expect. Also this game was ported to the PS3 and X-Box 360.

The new Lara Croft CG model is based off this actress (Camilla Luddington) :

1827615_2.png

laracamilla_610b.jpg

With the first Tomb Raider game Crystal Dynamics went with a model for the CG and a separate actress for the voice. With this new game they used the same actress for the CG renders and the voice.

I have reached the Soviet Installation and every few minutes my whole rig crashes. In earlier levels only the game itself would crash.

I have Textures on High, no AA, Blur off. It happens fairly randomly, also when there is little movement on the screen. Did a clean install of the latest driver. Verified files through Steam.

First crash I have had on this rig in over a year, never happened with any other equally demanding games (BF4, GTA V). Temps don't go over 69C.

Game is currently unplayable for me :(

Anyone else having this problem?

Yikes, well, that's not good. I've logged 5 hrs into the game and no crashes here. I just reached Soviet Installation last night and have spent maybe 30 minutes on this level so far and no crashes, either.

With the first Tomb Raider game Crystal Dynamics went with a model for the CG and a separate actress for the voice. With this new game they used the same actress for the CG renders and the voice.

Camilla Luddington did do the voice for Lara in the first game (at least for the US version)

is there a way to invert the mouse/pad movement?
the controls are inverted by default, I don't like it that way.

Camilla Luddington did do the voice for Lara in the first game (at least for the US version)

The CG version of Lara Croft on the first Tomb Raider was based off of Megan Farquhar:

31_megan-farquhar-lara-croft.jpg

mqrn-byn-shkhsyt-llb-wlshkhsyt-fy-lwq_v999.jpg

And you're right, Camilla did the voice acting.

I complained at first about the change from Tomb Raider 2013; and while I still prefer that one, I don't mind her look in Rise.

FXAA looks great to my eyes in this game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Same.

is there a way to invert the mouse/pad movement?
the controls are inverted by default, I don't like it that way.

can't understand who is the idiot that choosed to invert the y axis on this game and decided to not make an option to invert it.

if you're willing to settle for FXAA

Would it still get around 60 frame rates average? Might need to upgrade, but there isn't anything worth upgrading to. Don't want to spend $600+. I'll wait for the next gen, whenever that is.

So glad they didn't go soft on Lara, the previous game was pretty brutal.

EF6DF365F8B5AEB238062414063D695CF2F7516E

What frustrated me is that you get 3 cameras in the game. One is attached 3rd person camera that moves with lara and the other is during more scripted events that is 3rd person but is more of a floating camera like the opening climbing sequences and the last one is the pseudo 1st person over shoulder gun camera.The 3rd person is inverted, the cinematic is not inverted and the 1st person is inverted or something annoying like that.

Last edited:
No.

There is standard third person for most things.

Shooting is an over the shoulder thing where the focus is the target, but you are still in the third person.

I know, I just don't get what Semantics is talking about above...

Play the opening climbing sequence the Y axis gets uninverted in certain parts of that climbing sequence where up moves the camera up and down moves the camera down. It's awkward when you notice it. I probably wouldn't notice it if i wasn't playing it with a xb1 controller.

I have everything cranked except only 2X AA filtering and FXAA. I think FXAA looks great in this game.
That nets me 60fps more or less permanently. I did some quick "eye test" measurements of higher AA filtering (and other types) and didn't think it was worth any performance hit. 60fps is my bugaboo and this gives it to me. The graphics are amazing.

Game-wise, they have VERY clearly borrowed from Uncharted for the first hour or so. I suppose that's only fair since Uncharted owes the TR series quite a bit. It's hard to tell if it's an homage or just a knock-off. That said...it's terrific. Pretty similar to the last game, but with deeper gameplay related to climbing and vertical movement.

Got one crash so far, but I can't tell if it's the game or just my PC running games all day. Thanks to the SF5 beta, it hasn't gotten much of a rest this weekend.

played the game for a bit on the first day but then The Division beta drew me in...will be getting back into Rise of the Tomb Raider either Monday or Tuesday...I spent most of my time fidgeting with the settings to get the best image quality/performance and only made it just past that early snow level so it'll be easy to start over

I think this is the first PC game I've played in a long time that is actually GPU-bound instead of CPU-bound. I'm seeing constant 99% usage on my Titan X except during cutscenes that are locked to 30 FPS, while my CPU hovers around 60% usage across all 4 cores.

Funny how a $500 card can't run this game on max settings with 60fps.

If you crank the AA settings, my GTX980 won't max out a ton of games. This is a pretty good looking game, too. I don't really have an issue with it, even though I certainly do wish I could get 60fps with SMAA and 16x AA.

I think developers are starting to get lazy again...graphically these games are good but they're no Crysis 3/Battlefront, both of which run better than some of these new releases.

I think developers are starting to get lazy again...graphically these games are good but they're no Crysis 3/Battlefront, both of which run better than some of these new releases.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a console game that was ported to the PC. Crysis 3 and Battlefront were developed for the PC then ported to console. Even though I personally believe that Nixxes did a great job porting both the first Tomb Raider and now this game there will always be performance issues moving code from one platform to another. At least we didn't end up with a Warner Brothers style port here.

If you crank the AA settings, my GTX980 won't max out a ton of games. This is a pretty good looking game, too. I don't really have an issue with it, even though I certainly do wish I could get 60fps with SMAA and 16x AA.

I'm hoping pascal will be a different story.

I think being called lazy might be a bit harsh, but I agree in that the graphics are good, but they haven't really blown me away, either. For months since the Xbox one version came out, all I've been reading on the internet was holy shit, this game has the best graphics ever, but I don't agree at all. I think this game is a mixed bag, graphically. It can look really good at times but other times, I think it just looks ok. Granted, I'm only at Soviet Installation right now, so maybe my opinions might change, but so far, I think the graphics are inconsistent but overall good.

Maxed out to the nines I'm impressed with what I see. I don't think the graphics are game changers but overall it comes together quite well by and large.

Back