Rise of the Tomb Raider

no SLI no party.
we can't maxout the game, I have 1500€ of cards and I need to play it at 1080P without a decent antialias since I cannot even afford SSAA 2x, I want a refund from steam but steam says that he don't refund my game since I accepted to give up from my refund right when I bought the game.

This market is ill.

Last edited:
Multi-card setups are getting the shaft more than ever these days. I wish Nvidia and Ati would just drop the concept if devs going to keep it half baked for a decade.
1/2 this forum is made of up irritated multi-card rig owners. I'm glad I never went that route.

the Texture Quality setting seems to have zero impact on performance/frame rates...but it does have a major impact on VRAM usage...VRAM usage goes down by 1GB+ when lowering it from Very High to High...as far as the latest Game-Ready Nvidia 361.75 drivers I decided not to install them after hearing about all the taskbar junk and GFE startup crap it installs but the game runs fine with the 359.06 drivers from December

I love how easy it is to change graphics settings and immediately see the impact in the background without a restart or reboot of the game...makes tweaking the graphics a breeze

no SLI no party.
we can't maxout the game, I have 1500€ of cards and I need to play it at 1080P, I want a refund from steam but steam says that he don't refund my game since I accepted to give up from my refund right when I bought the game.

This market is ill.

Still didn't learn to stop pre ordering I see.

I think denuvo May be a reason too.. Maybe not directly

Last edited:
I think denuvo is affecting sli. Look at syndicate, Just cause 3, arkahm city etc.

You keep saying that while offering no proof.

My SLi is running just fine. I'll provide some figures for that later today.

Can't understand why you prefer SSAA 2x over SMAA, on this game SSAA is a crap,
the SSAA 2x blurs the texture and it doesn't bring any improvements to aliasing over SMAA.

Imho the way to go is SMAA on this game since SSAA 4x is not doable neither with a GTX980 Ti SLI.

SSAA works fine, it's just very demanding...the problem is that the game itself likes to use some sort of film grain which blurs the image a bit...I guess they want to give the game a cinematic look...it's not as bad as the Tomb Raider 2013 game but it's still there...the Tomb Raider games will never look as sharp or detailed as Witcher 3 or Crysis 3 so you need to adjust your expectations...it does look excellent for what it's trying to do

SMAA is broken. Or at least, it looks awful to my eyes. FXAA looks great.

This game finally inspired me to just rip out my 2nd Titan X. It'll be on eBay within a day or two. I found that SLI offered very little boost in performance. With VR not working with SLI among the myriad of other issues I've experienced with SLI, I decided to just go ahead and ditch it. One Titan X (I can get better OCs with 1 card than with 2) does just fine at 1440p.

I think FXAA has come a long way in the last year. I used to avoid it or just turn AA off to avoid it. With the major releases from the last 12-18 months, it no longer looks like vaseline on the screen.
More often than not, it's what I default to.

I plan to play this weekend, hopefully I don't run into any performance issues at 3440x1440, pretty sure I'll have to drop a few settings down since it looks like SLI scaling isn't that great.

I think FXAA has come a long way in the last year. I used to avoid it or just turn AA off to avoid it. With the major releases from the last 12-18 months, it no longer looks like vaseline on the screen.
More often than not, it's what I default to.

FXAA is the worst form of AA and I only use it as a last resort...only thing good about it is that it has very little performance hit

FXAA is the worst form of AA and I only use it as a last resort...only thing good about it is that it has very little performance hit

That's what I like about it. It's essentially free. I'm one of those people that has to have 60fps or I won't play. AA's still far and away the thing I notice least anyway. I'd disable that before I'd touch much anything else. Plus, I really do think FXAA has improved a ton in the last year. It used to suuuuck, but I put it on par with some of the other forms of lower level (2x/4x) AA if not a little better.

That's what I like about it. It's essentially free. I'm one of those people that has to have 60fps or I won't play. AA's still far and away the thing I notice least anyway. I'd disable that before I'd touch much anything else. Plus, I really do think FXAA has improved a ton in the last year. It used to suuuuck, but I put it on par with some of the other forms of lower level (2x/4x) AA if not a little better.

I'm the opposite...I'd rather have better visuals and sacrifice frame rates a bit...frame rates in the upper 40's or 50's are fine with me

I'm going to wait until tonight to play. I want to give my new 980 ti a run at the game.

Some of the cut scenes get a major drop in FPS for me. Anyone know how to fix this? Running at 1440p.

Last edited:
I think im going to wait to play this game. hopefully pascal comes no later than june.

Some of the cut scenes get a major drop in FPS for me. Anyone know how to fix this? Running at 1440p.

There is no fix, other than hopefully a performance patch, assuming they can even improve the game's performance or Nvidia releasing updated drivers that improve the performance. There's supposed to be a DX12 patch in the works, so if/when that comes out, we should hopefully see better performance.

Also, don't know about you, but the 980 doesn't cut it for me at 1440p, so I've lowered my resolution to 1080p and got a big performance boost. Am much happier with how the game plays at this resolution.

Last edited:
There is no fix, other than hopefully a performance patch, assuming they can even improve the game's performance or Nvidia releasing updated drivers that improve the performance. There's supposed to be a DX12 patch in the works, so if/when that comes out, we should hopefully see better performance.

VXAO (ambient occlusion) is also supposed to be added in later but I doubt we'll see that or DX12...I think Square Enix will make Deus Ex: Mankind Divided their showcase game for all the fancy new tech

VXAO (ambient occlusion) is also supposed to be added in later but I doubt we'll see that or DX12...I think Square Enix will make Deus Ex: Mankind Divided their showcase game for all the fancy new tech

Yeah, I read about VXAO also. Yeah, who knows if/when these will ever be implemented, which is why I'm playing/enjoying the game now and not waiting for something that may never see the light of day. ;)

It sucks that I've had to lower my resolution from 1440p to 1080p to get the frame rates that I want but after doing this, the game performs soooo much better now. It plays beautifully now and the drop in resolution isn't really that bad.

It sucks that I've had to lower my resolution from 1440p to 1080p to get the frame rates that I want but after doing this, the game performs soooo much better now. It plays beautifully now and the drop in resolution isn't really that bad.

what AA were you using at 1440p?

GMG has it on sale this weekend for $39. Is it worth it, or should I wait.

btw I have a 390X any performance issues with AMD right now?

Also, don't know about you, but the 980 doesn't cut it for me at 1440p, so I've lowered my resolution to 1080p and got a big performance boost. Am much happier with how the game plays at this resolution.

Literally just got this 980 today. RMAed my 780 ti and they send me the 980, which I thought was cool.

I'll lower it to 1080p and give it a whirl. It just sucks since this game is so beautiful.

Just bought this game and enjoying it so far. Running everything maxed out on 4K and getting an average of 30 FPS which is playable, not great but will do, for now.

Literally just got this 980 today. RMAed my 780 ti and they send me the 980, which I thought was cool.

I'll lower it to 1080p and give it a whirl. It just sucks since this game is so beautiful.

Oh wow, nice free upgrade. :) Yeah, I really did not want to lower my resolution, but in the end, I think it's worth it because I'm now able to crank up all my settings (minus AA) and the frame rates are still mostly well above 60 fps.

If frame rates are important to you, I recommend sticking with 1080p. But if you're able to tolerate constant dips under 60 fps, bump it up to 1440p.

+1 and it makes my 970 scream

What frames at what settings, res and AA? I Have a similar setup. I don't mind waiting for a new GPU to play it. Got some stuff to keep me busy until then, and I do want to get close to 60 frame rates at 1080. Just hope a 970 + 4670K can pull it off. Does this game have a benchmark tool? I know the last one did.

Well I pulled the trigger and got for $39 at GMG. Runs flawless on my 390X. Everything is on high settings, FXAA. Running smooth as duckbutter.

Played a couple of hours so far. And its pretty kick ass. Glad to see Luara's boobies are still nice. LOL

I have reached the Soviet Installation and every few minutes my whole rig crashes. In earlier levels only the game itself would crash.

I have Textures on High, no AA, Blur off. It happens fairly randomly, also when there is little movement on the screen. Did a clean install of the latest driver. Verified files through Steam.

First crash I have had on this rig in over a year, never happened with any other equally demanding games (BF4, GTA V). Temps don't go over 69C.

Game is currently unplayable for me :(

Anyone else having this problem?

Back