Rise of the Tomb Raider

you can say that about any game...Rise of the Tomb Raider could be GOTY type of material so it's worth a look...and yes you can get it for more then 50% off in the forums due to the Nvidia gaming bundle

cool...thanks...

Square Enix puts all their games on humble bundle for dirt cheap

Rise of the Tomb Raider uses Denuvo DRM
Is this an issue? I've read a lot of FUD about Denuvo with no proof for the supposedly horrible things it does. And anecdotally, I have not had any issues with games that have used this DRM so far.

I don't think I've had any recent DRM issues that didn't involve Games for Windows Live.

Discount-wise, if you're willing to hold out, just about any game can be had at a steep discount within 6 months of release. It's pretty rare that a game doesn't get a Steam sale discount, GOG discount, Green Man discount, etc. That's the joy of PC gaming. If you don't mind waiting, you can rock slightly older hardware and last year's games for cheap.

Is this an issue? I've read a lot of FUD about Denuvo with no proof for the supposedly horrible things it does. And anecdotally, I have not had any issues with games that have used this DRM so far.

it’s been accused of causing poor game performance...Denuvo, vehemently denies these accusations, but Lords of the Fallen, Batman: Arkham Knight and Just Cause 3 all use the system and well...

http://www.destructoid.com/far-cry-...the-denuvo-anti-tampering-system-336507.phtml

it’s been accused of causing poor game performance...Denuvo, vehemently denies these accusations, but Lords of the Fallen, Batman: Arkham Knight and Just Cause 3 all use the system and well...

http://www.destructoid.com/far-cry-...the-denuvo-anti-tampering-system-336507.phtml

Lords of the Fallen runs like shit across all platforms. In fact the devs of that game are the ones that started all of the accusations. They tried to blame all of the performance issues of the PC version on Denuvo.

Arkham Knight is (was?) a shit port given to a team with no experience and given virtually no time to get it right.

JC3 is debatable. Apparently that game was supposed to have started life as a free-to-play online game and Avalanche had to scramble to turn it into what we got. If that is true it kind of explains everything about it's launch issues.

DA Inq's launch issues are a good place to question Denuvo's impact, but given how fucked BF4 was at that time you have to wonder if the engine is partly to blame as well.

In addition to the games mentioned by Dion Mad Max also used Denuvo and that performed great.

Looks like more FUD to me. The rest of the line you left out:
...but Lords of the Fallen, Batman: Arkham Knight and Just Cause 3 all use the system and well… look at how they turned out.

The author is appealing to readers' fears and doubts directly with this paragraph, resulting in confirmation bias.

Looks like more FUD to me. The rest of the line you left out:
...but Lords of the Fallen, Batman: Arkham Knight and Just Cause 3 all use the system and well… look at how they turned out.

The author is appealing to readers' fears and doubts directly with this paragraph, resulting in confirmation bias.

I don't think you understood the meaning of that last line...that line I left out means that those games he mentioned ran like crap...that being said I played Lords of the Fallen and Arkham Knight and I'm not sure if Denuvo was the cause of the performance issues...I do think Denuvo causes issues but not sure how much on top of the already existing ones...the article I linked to also mentions that with Far Cry Primal even after uninstalling the game certain files remain on your system which is never a good thing

MGS 5 uses Denuvo and it runs wonderfully. Mad Max too. So that is proof Denuvo doesn't cause games to run like shit. Shit devs and shit porting budgets cause games to run like shit. Full stop. Anyone trying to cause a fuss over Denuvo is just a piss poor crybaby sad there's a DRM causing them to not be able to play all their games for free via piracy Day 1.

even after uninstalling the game certain files remain on your system which is never a good thing

You must be new to PC in general. Almost every program/game leaves old registry entries and files behind. Lets also not forget.. Nixxes is porting this game. I have yet to see them do a bad PC port.

I don't think you understood the meaning of that last line...that line I left out means that those games he mentioned ran like crap...that being said I played Lords of the Fallen and Arkham Knight and I'm not sure if Denuvo was the cause of the performance issues...I do think Denuvo causes issues but not sure how much on top of the already existing ones...the article I linked to also mentions that with Far Cry Primal even after uninstalling the game certain files remain on your system which is never a good thing
That is what I mean. A lot of people on the internet have complained about performance issues in those games, but there is no definitive proof that it is caused by Denuvo. By specifically mentioning these titles, the author is appealing to those who are upset by the performance issues in those games. Battlefield: Hardline and Metal Gear Solid V run fantastic on most PCs. The point being there is no consistency of performance woes from games using Denuvo to even speculate that the underlying DRM is the cause of them.

I don't really see the issue with keeping files on your system. If it is dormant, what is the issue? Punk Buster is an example of an older verification program that kept files on your system after removal. And just because files are not removed automatically during uninstallation doesn't mean they can't be removed manually.

lol every DRM scare has never affected me once, not in the slightest. Don't get me wrong, hardcore DRM is a pain in the butt at times, but it's never negatively affected my PC or my gameplay experience in the actual game, ever.

lol every DRM scare has never affected me once, not in the slightest. Don't get me wrong, hardcore DRM is a pain in the butt at times, but it's never negatively affected my PC or my gameplay experience in the actual game, ever.

Same here. I don't care if I have Origin, Steam, and UPlay installed. The game comes first.

tough weekend...The Division beta or Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC)...leaning towards playing the beta and leaving TR for next week

During a stream today it was confirmed that Rise will not support DX12 at launch. They might add it later on.

The game will support SLI

Ultrawide support is a "maybe". They don't have any ultrawide monitors at the studio to test it on so they won't commit to it working.

VXAO will not be available at launch but might be added later once they're happy with it's performance.

Pureworks Hair being off is similar to TressFX 1.0 in the previous game.

The game supports higher resolution textures than the XB1.

If I heard them right, the game will see up to 8 cores.

Recommended settings equal Xbox 1 settings with a better frame rate.

Pureworks on equals XB1 hair. There is a setting higher than that.

Last edited:
VXAO will not be available at launch but might be added later once they're happy with it's performance.

Pureworks Hair being off is similar to TressFX 1.0 in the previous game.

The game supports higher resolution textures than the XB1.

I never heard of VXAO until now...so it's even better then HBAO+?...I wonder what the performance hit will be...wish it was available at launch

Pureworks Off is the same as TressFX On in the previous game?...that sounds impressive

I never heard of VXAO until now...so it's even better then HBAO+?...I wonder what the performance hit will be...wish it was available at launch

Pureworks Off is the same as TressFX On in the previous game?...that sounds impressive

From what it sounds like VXAO right now has a significant performance hit since they seemed to be hinting that they're not happy with it yet.

Yeah. It looks really nice even with Pureworks off.

From what it sounds like VXAO right now has a significant performance hit since they seemed to be hinting that they're not happy with it yet

I wouldn't be surprised if VXAO support never comes and they wait until Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to debut it...I'm thinking HBAO+ will be the only available supported AO version for Rise of the Tomb Raider

The hair on the Xbox One version was astounding. Definitely an improvement over the first game's TressFX setting. I'm telling you this game has reached Uncanny Valley level when it comes to Lara's face in cutscenes. It's nuts.

So did earlier assassin creed but syndicate doesn't.. So did just cause but jc3 doesn't
Um okay then maybe be more clear next time. The way you had it worded seem to indicate the first Tomb Raider had poor SLI support. ;)

When is this game out? It seems we have been talking about it since forever. Also any preload?

When is this game out? It seems we have been talking about it since forever. Also any preload?

Right from the Steam store page at this very moment:

Available: January 28
This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 12 hours

And yes it is pre loading already.

lol you guys daydreaming? no way it'll be in dx12 pff.

Or as the devs put it; "we will keep working on it and once we feel DX12 is a better experience we will release it as a front and centre option."

Or as the devs put it; "we will keep working on it and once we feel DX12 is a better experience we will release it as a front and centre option."

DX12 and VXAO might be too much goodness...I'm guessing it never comes out...I think Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC) will be the one with all the fancy new tech

yay the PC version is getting pretty good reviews but there are reports of some issues- slowdown/stutter that hopefully will be fixed with Nvidia's game-ready drivers tomorrow and kb/m issues...

"Visually, Rise is gorgeous. The textures are insanely crisp and detailed, and even when I rammed the camera right up against a wall I struggled to see much blurring. The lighting effects are also wonderful, and really add to the atmosphere of the many tombs and caves Lara has to jump through. I thought 2013's Tomb Raider was pretty, but when you pump Rise up to the maximum settings it really is a visual treat... if you can get it to run properly"

"Drops from 100+ frames per second down to 40-45 are common, and are often accompanied by some distracting microstutter"

Destructoid
http://www.destructoid.com/pc-port-report-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-336747.phtml

PC World
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3026...w-impressions-gorgeous-game-ugly-stutter.html

Eurogamer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-pc-face-off

Not you personally but, this sure is a turn around attitude from the outrage and frothing at the mouth that used to be so common place. (Guess people just gave up and got used to it.)

I'm forcing my self to not buying the game and preload it.
I stopped buying unfinished and unoptimized games.

The game is cool and I want to play it, reviews showed that on consoles but some questions remains unanswered.

Now the questions to answer before buying the game are:

1) Is it well optimized? Does it taxes my hardware correctly? (95% or more GPU usage)
2) Does is scale well on SLI? For well I mean 80% performance more at least.
3) Can I sustain a constant framerate without framerate drops?
4) I have a GTX980 Ti SLI, can I max it out at 4K with an average of 60FPS?

If one of this questions is no, I will not buy the game.
Suppose that the answer for those questions are yes, it will be very cool to see nvidia VXAO instead of the HBAO+. I'm really curious to see it in action,

Yeah I remember turning on SSAA in Tomb Raider and seeing it actually get blurrier.

SSAA is a non sense for nvidia users.
With a similar performance it you can use 4xDSR 0% smoothness that brings similar antialiasing with much much much improved texture.

Back