Rise of the Tomb Raider

I agree. Underrated and overlooked arguably.

I keep warning people: Be patient in the early goings because, yes, the QTEs are a little excessive to get the story and setup off the ground. If you can do that you're gold from there on out.

Sure is. MS must have really thrown a ton of money at it.

QTE are best used sparingly, and only when necessary. The tomb raider reboot was fucktacular, not because it had a bad story (on the contrary, i LOVED the story), but because of shoddy game play.

QTE are no substitution for real game play. That is the mark of either consoleization, or simple laziness on behalf of the developer. In either case, it almost cost me my favorite keyboard, due to QTE rage.

The NeoGAF thread on this seems to be breaking records for views/posts/pages in a single day. Backlash is shaping up to be epic, ironically for a title that many probably wouldn't consider a "day one must have buy" but yet people seem to have a personal connection with it on a level unlike many of the other games they own and play. It is because girl + breasts?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=872876

Last edited:
Don't really care about this game as i thought the last one was the worst evolution the series could possibly take.

I do find this behavior odd however. Why reboot a series with releases to 5 different platforms to try to rebuild the franchise only too pull a exclusive deal on the platform with the least amount of potential buyers? Why go to this length to piss off your new found fanbase?

Only a stockholder could love a decision this short sighted.

ROTTR wasn't the first game to be platform exclusive (even if timed) and it won't be the last. There have been PC exclusives, console exclusives, and mobile exclusives. There have been bitter tears in the past and there will glorious bitter tears in the future.

I would think PC gamers would be more furious about No Man's Sky being a PS4 timed exclusive over ROTTR.

It's worse when a game moves from supporting multiple platforms to supporting only one. No on cries when a mobile exclusive stays a mobile exclusive. Totally different then say, making Half Life 3 xbox exclusive (which of course wouldn't happen, but you could understand the rage against such a hypothetical).

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but exclusives make me dig my feet in the sand. It doesn't make me want to buy an xbox.

terrible move limiting it to Xbox...even if it comes out on PC after 6-12 months it's a huge slap in the face to PC (and even PS4) users...AMD must be super pissed after throwing all that $$ into TressFX

ROTTR wasn't the first game to be platform exclusive (even if timed) and it won't be the last. There have been PC exclusives, console exclusives, and mobile exclusives. There have been bitter tears in the past and there will glorious bitter tears in the future.

That its "not the first platform exclusive" is kind of stating the obvious and not really shedding a light on anything previously unknown, and fails to have a grasp of all the circumstances here. A few key differences at the root of the ire, particularly from a PC gamer's perspective: particularly, that Microsoft wrote a bribe check to Squenix to kill all the versions but 360 and Xbone, including killing the Windows version which is their own platform. Sony's obviously different in that regard because they're not stabbing one of their other platform's users in the back by making something a PS3/PS4 exclusive and denying 'Sony Windows" users the title under the delusion it would cannibalize playstation sales.

I would think PC gamers would be more furious about No Man's Sky being a PS4 timed exclusive over ROTTR.

Sorry but I don't see the parallel. Tomb Raider has pretty much been multi-platform (including PC) for most of its existence since the 90's and is a well known franchise, whereas No Man's Sky is a new IP. If there had been a previous No Man's Sky title in 2013 that was multi-plat and enjoyed by many people including PC gamers that were part of the positive word of mouth that helped its slow burn to eventual sales success, but then the sequel was announced at E3 as a multi-plat, and then a few months later all of a sudden at gamescom Sony thumped their chest that it would be "Playstation only" and proceeded to make flippant responses when pressed for more details - then you could bet that there would be more outrage.

Last edited:

They would not have gotten as much flak if it was merely a time exclusive. Right now, they are announcing it to be exclusive, or at least that's what they want people to believe. Of course people are going to be mad at them for restricting the game to xbox users only.

Hell I think someone in the management has gone insane for doing that.

I am so angry with this news. TR is one of my all time favorites and I was really excited that a sequel was in the works but mad as hell its XBOX exclusive. I never considered myself anti-console but after this announcement I am now. I truly hope that the XBOX One console fails and all those developers/publishers that sold out for exclusivity.

As usual, Microshit strikes again with this shady practice, trying to piss off Tomb Raider fans I can see. It seems like Microsoft never learns from their past mistakes, they keep repeating it all over again, I guess they forgot what happened to Ryse and I can see this game will fail, and serves Square Enix right if this will bite them in the ass, big time.

Even if its only a timed exclusive, its still an absolutely dick move by both MS and SE.

Considering that SE moaned how poorly TR sold below expectations, you think the last thing they would want to do is limit their potential audience whilst also pissing off their fan base.

that's good because they wouldn't have seen any of my money otherwise. I've played most of the tomb raider games, but none of them have ever been "must haves" for me and definitely nothing I'd buy a console for.

And because of all this, rather than get this game day 1 like I was planning, I think I'll just wait until it's under $20 on Steam. I'm patient and I have plenty of games to play in the meantime. I'd rather not give Square Enix the satisfaction of a full price purchase.

edit:
Game has gone from a possible Day1 purchase to a bargain bin/steam sale purchase for me.

lol you posted as I was typing that. Yes, exactly what I was thinking.

The NeoGAF thread on this seems to be breaking records for views/posts/pages in a single day. Backlash is shaping up to be epic, ironically for a title that many probably wouldn't consider a "day one must have buy" but yet people seem to have a personal connection with it on a level unlike many of the other games they own and play. It is because girl + breasts?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=872876

I agree with you, let people pay $59.99 day one to play it on XBOX. I'll pick it up for $7.99 during a steam sale 6-18 months after release. No rush :cool:

I don't understand the exclusivity thing. If you're backing a game like this from a third party studio, just work out a friggin deal for a cut of every sale and make sure it works best on your platform.

I don't understand the exclusivity thing. If you're backing a game like this from a third party studio, just work out a friggin deal for a cut of every sale and make sure it works best on your platform.

The money-recipient wants ("need") the money (co-marketing, whatever) up-front, that's the whole point.

Besides, very few consumers follow the day-to-day close enough to know where something works best.

The only value is in denying customers access on platforms you don't control, which tells you a lot about this business.

I think that exclusivity practice sucks, regardless of who is doing it.

Meh. I have all the time in the world.

But I'll definitely be waiting on reviews for the PC version to see if this is a $20 or $10 buy.

The timed exclusivity stuff really doesn't bug me that much. I have more than enough games on my hands to keep me busy until whenever it does release on Steam.

That being said I am extremely excited for this title. Also I need to replay the original on my shiny new 980 Ti :D

I don't mind the timed thing if they come out with a good game for pc. (ie GTA V quality). I can wait for games. There are so many other games out anyway (fallout 4 coming later this year and a hopefully fixed batman). But I hate when it is timed and wait a year for a crappy port. Plus games that come out later timed usually are much cheaper since the "hype" died out when xbox one version is released and people seen the game on twitch. Plus all the reviews will pour in and give a good idea of how good the game is when it will be available to the "rest of us" But Xbox does seem to have less exclusives than ps4. I don't see people raging about uncharted being exclusive because it always was from the beginning. Atleast this will be available to the other systems hopefully. If I want to play uncharted i have to buy ps4 and hope they remake the old ones.

I'd like to go ahead right now and thank the Xbox ONE gamers for beta testing the game for PC ;).

I'd like to go ahead right now and thank the Xbox ONE gamers for beta testing the game for PC ;).

+1

It only helped the first Mass Effect game, I can't imagine it will hurt this release (save for the potential consolization)

I thought the game would be xbox exclusive forever like halo. I'm actually surprised by this piece of news.

I thought the game would be xbox exclusive forever like halo. I'm actually surprised by this piece of news.

It was essentially leaked that it was a timed exclusive right after the game was announced.

In this day and age unless they're paying you massive cash it would be stupid to limit to one platform. Tomb Raider has historically been multi platform. I don't think they would like to restrict their sales by at least 50%.

In this day and age unless they're paying you massive cash it would be stupid to limit to one platform. Tomb Raider has historically been multi platform. I don't think they would like to restrict their sales by at least 50%.

Not to mention the fan backlash that would impede future sales. They will likely have a degree of that as it is.

I hope the framerate issues are due to the shitty video quality. Unless console developers and console gamers are now okay with 15-20 FPS with drops being acceptable, so long as it looks pretty.

I hope the framerate issues are due to the shitty video quality. Unless console developers and console gamers are now okay with 15-20 FPS with drops being acceptable, so long as it looks pretty.

I think we've seen that they're perfectly happy with 30fps (with plenty of drops) for that "cinematic experience." :rolleyes:

i think this sequel will turn out well, and alot of people should be pleasantly surprised and enjoy how the game ends up, kinda like we didn't really know much about the last one, then all of a sudden, it was one of those 'hey, you should really play this' type of game.

That's MS' fault for releasing underpowered hardware. Xbox One will be the next watercooler, huh? Yeah, it needs watercooling and overclocking to perform worth a shit. :D

I think we've seen that they're perfectly happy with 30fps (with plenty of drops) for that "cinematic experience." :rolleyes:

Hey, I'd rather have a game that runs at 30fps with twice the detail than something that looks like ass running at 60 - unless we're talking about fighting games or old school platformers.

+1

It only helped the first Mass Effect game, I can't imagine it will hurt this release (save for the potential consolization)

But they still fucked up poor Garrus' face texture - and said they'd need a multi-gigabyte patch to fix it (which is a blatant lie).

The fuck? The menus and GUI look exactly the same as the last game.

The fuck? The menus and GUI look exactly the same as the last game.

all the footage they've shown so far looks and plays exactly like the previous game...not a bad thing but I was expecting some new features or graphics improvements...I'm still interested but I'm not dying to play it

God I hate her new face. Hopefully it's like the re-release on the newer consoles and she only has the new face for consoles; not PC. I know that's not the case though :(

Back