Rise of the Tomb Raider

I actually just finally started playing through MGS5 and I'm loving it, but now that this is 50% off I'm definitely going to bite on it too and add it to the queue.

Out of curiosity, you playing with kb+m or controller? I'm doing just great with MGS5 using kb+m when I thought I'd be forced into using a gamepad, wondering if this game is similar.

I've used KBM for this with no problems. Same for MGS5.

What would be great is if Crystal Dynamics could borrow Naughty Dog's graphics team for the next Tomb Raider game. Uncharted 4 looks amazing but manages to be so boring in comparison to ROTTR.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I actually just finally started playing through MGS5 and I'm loving it, but now that this is 50% off I'm definitely going to bite on it too and add it to the queue.

Out of curiosity, you playing with kb+m or controller? I'm doing just great with MGS5 using kb+m when I thought I'd be forced into using a gamepad, wondering if this game is similar.

controller, for both. in fact, it's only men of war II (fabulous game if you grew up on Command and Conquer like me) that I use a mouse and keyboard with. Metal Gear Solid is one of those games that will have many people returning for a play-through once more. If you google 'making of', you can see just how much time and effort when into making it. Excellent effort (unlike their new, non-Kojima version)

So just got around to buying this one. Opening scene, I was like "THE SNOW!" Wow, very realistic looking and the foot prints it leaves in heavey snow. I just spent 10 minutes walking around the top there. Haven't got far at all, but love this opening scene.

So just got around to buying this one. Opening scene, I was like "THE SNOW!" Wow, very realistic looking and the foot prints it leaves in heavey snow. I just spent 10 minutes walking around the top there. Haven't got far at all, but love this opening scene.

I really think it's a hell of a good game and I'm very happy with where this series is right now and its prospects.

What would be great is if Crystal Dynamics could borrow Naughty Dog's graphics team for the next Tomb Raider game. Uncharted 4 looks amazing but manages to be so boring in comparison to ROTTR.
I don't know why people keep saying Uncharted 4 looks amazing. It's pretty good for a console game, but really the only advantage it has compared to RotTR on PC is the character models.

like this
I don't know why people keep saying Uncharted 4 looks amazing. It's pretty good for a console game, but really the only advantage it has compared to RotTR on PC is the character models.

Uncharted 4 has really nice art direction which has been typical for the series. It looks fantastic for what the consoles can do and I can only take my hat off to Naughty Dog for how they put together a "total package."

Then I can fantasize about them being fully unleashed on the PC.

Uncharted 4 has really nice art direction which has been typical for the series. It looks fantastic for what the consoles can do and I can only take my hat off to Naughty Dog for how they put together a "total package."

Then I can fantasize about them being fully unleashed on the PC.
I've had that fantasy many times... think I'm going to have to get a PS4 Pro (but Bloodborne gets no "pro" love?!).

like this
Aw man, I have such a backlog of games I cant even make a dent in.
Now you're making me want to play this again.
STOPPIT!

I've had that fantasy many times... think I'm going to have to get a PS4 Pro (but Bloodborne gets no "pro" love?!).

Pretty sure PS4 Pro is not going to live up to the expectations we have for it. I definitely wouldn't want to be on the bleeding edge of that one only to be in for a huge letdown, and then regrets once Scorpio comes out and possibly annihilates the shit out of it.

Maybe in the future brand new games that are being developed specifically with the PS4 Pro in mind, but I think in terms of games that are already out there, or were developed in the last couple years and are just now coming out, are going to have issues with PS4 Pro as some have already been talking about (lower than 30FPS) and the developers are going to just say fuck this. It's up to them to make the changes to have the games run the way they are supposed to which typically would have been done DURING development, not 1-2 years post development when they aren't even thinking about that game anymore.

IMO, this is one of the only games where the PS4 Pro really shines. The high FPS version looks great - not that far off from the PC version.

WOW! Just completed this tonight! My steam accounts says "24.6 hours on record". Feels like it was longer than that but still... Got to say that it was surprisingly good. I got a copy as it was reduced by 50% and, I haven't stopped playing it since the download finished!

Don't want to give too much away so I'll just say: 8.5/10

Windows 7 / MSi GeForce GFX 960 / xBox360 USB Controller

I wanted it, but until I get a new GPU I keep holding off. Glad more people keep posting positive things, makes it harder and harder to wait lol.

I purchased it a couple of months ago during one of the Steam sales it is already installed and next on my play list. Just need to finally finish Mad Max.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC patch boosts Ryzen CPU performance

- Fix certain DX12 crashes reported by users on the forums.
- Improve DX12 performance across a variety of hardware, in CPU bound situations. Especially performance on AMD Ryzen CPUs can be significantly improved

http://steamcommunity.com/app/391220/discussions/0/1290691308591626458/

gotta love the continued support for a game that's now 15 months old

Great news. Tried this game again on my new Ryzen 1600 and noticed it stutters fairly frequently where as the 4670K it replaced was very smooth at 60 or so frame rates. Was fairly annoying and I had a feeling it didn't run properly with Ryzen. Good to know it likely wasn't just on my end. However, I have no plans on replaying the game anytime soon. But good on them for releasing the patch.

Great news. Tried this game again on my new Ryzen 1600 and noticed it stutters fairly frequently where as the 4670K it replaced was very smooth at 60 or so frame rates. Was fairly annoying and I had a feeling it didn't run properly with Ryzen. Good to know it likely wasn't just on my end. However, I have no plans on replaying the game anytime soon. But good on them for releasing the patch.

The game developers tend to use the same engine for years so the fact that Ryzen support was added should bode well for future titles from this studio.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC patch boosts Ryzen CPU performance

- Fix certain DX12 crashes reported by users on the forums.
- Improve DX12 performance across a variety of hardware, in CPU bound situations. Especially performance on AMD Ryzen CPUs can be significantly improved

http://steamcommunity.com/app/391220/discussions/0/1290691308591626458/

gotta love the continued support for a game that's now 15 months old

Here is PCPer's testing of the game. Nice boost to frame rates!
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Rise-Tomb-Raider-Gets-Ryzen-Performance-Update

I really liked it, but only got about half way through. I think I need to just roll through the main quest and skip the side content/collection stuff.

That being said the new tombs are great,and the gameplay overall is fantastic.

I really liked it, but only got about half way through. I think I need to just roll through the main quest and skip the side content/collection stuff.

That being said the new tombs are great,and the gameplay overall is fantastic.

No way man. Don't skip anything. You will be shortchanging yourself. :)

If you don't do the side stuff, the game will probably feel short. It felt a little abbreviated to me and I did everything on the surface.

If you don't do the side stuff, the game will probably feel short. It felt a little abbreviated to me and I did everything on the surface.
No way man. Don't skip anything. You will be shortchanging yourself. :)

Oh yeah that would be with the intention of going back and clearing each area.

I think when I last played, I had been in the siberia/snow section for several hours doing all the side missions, Baba Yaga and all that. Got sidetracked with a new Fallout 4 run.

like this
I've played 24 hours w/ about 60% ? "side stuff" collected in a semi-intentional manner.

Basically, if I looked at the map for the main story & saw some stuff nearby, I'd go get it.

I hardly ever back-tracked to find stuff - unless it was really, really close...

Bottom line = I LOVE Lara & totally got my money's worth (sale price @ $20) for 24 hours game play = WINNING!

I'm just playing this game now. I've started when it first came out, but then put it on hold. And now I have this weird issue that NPCs both enemy and friendly keep disappearing, anyone had this issue? I'm fighting enemies, then suddenly poof one or two disappears into thin air. And it happens more often as I progress in the game. First I Thought it was a one off glitch when a wolf vanished but now almost every third or fourth fight a few of the enemies will vanish. And sometimes if I walk out of the room and go back then they re-appear, but not always.

WTF?

No, not experienced that.
I played it with a 980ti + 6600K and 1080ti + 6700K.

Check your system ram is stable.

I just finished the game 2 weeks ago on a GTX 970 and i5-3570k and did not have any issues.

No, not experienced that.
I played it with a 980ti + 6600K and 1080ti + 6700K.

Check your system ram is stable.
Well windows memory diagnostics shows no errors. And I was unable to boot memtest86 for some reason.
Perhaps it is related to SLI?

Well windows memory diagnostics shows no errors. And I was unable to boot memtest86 for some reason.
Perhaps it is related to SLI?
MS memory diagnostics is only basic testing.
But yes, troubleshoot as much as you can first, it will help narrow it down quicker.

I'm just playing this game now. I've started when it first came out, but then put it on hold. And now I have this weird issue that NPCs both enemy and friendly keep disappearing, anyone had this issue? I'm fighting enemies, then suddenly poof one or two disappears into thin air. And it happens more often as I progress in the game. First I Thought it was a one off glitch when a wolf vanished but now almost every third or fourth fight a few of the enemies will vanish. And sometimes if I walk out of the room and go back then they re-appear, but not always.

WTF?
if in steam, run a integrity check on the game files.
and try without the sli, see what it does.

The problems went away it seems, IDK what fixed it, but as long as it works it's fine.

Does the entire game take place in siberia? Because I'm getting sick and tired of the cold and snowy scenery.
The game says it's about 50% completed, but I'm not sure if that number is only in relation to the campaign, or it includes all collectibles and challenges as well. Because if it is the latter I might be getting close to the end.

BTW just how much video memory does this game need? Because if I set the textures to any larger than high it instantly becomes a slideshow. I'd have imagined a more than 2 years old game should be fine with 8GB on max settings.

I only own the base game since I bought it at release but just now got around to playing it. What is the best way to get the DLCs? Because the prices for them on steam seem excessive for them.

Last edited:
The problems went away it seems, IDK what fixed it, but as long as it works it's fine.

Does the entire game take place in siberia? Because I'm getting sick and tired of the cold and snowy scenery.
The game says it's about 50% completed, but I'm not sure if that number is only in relation to the campaign, or it includes all collectibles and challenges as well. Because if it is the latter I might be getting close to the end.

BTW just how much video memory does this game need? Because if I set the textures to any larger than high it instantly becomes a slideshow. I'd have imagined a more than 2 years old game should be fine with 8GB on max settings.

I only own the base game since I bought it at release but just now got around to playing it. What is the best way to get the DLCs? Because the prices for them on steam seem excessive for them.

If you are 50% complete (which includes collectibles and challenges, etc) you should be reaching Geothermal Valley soon which has no snow and is the 2nd major hub in the game. This game does use a lot of VRAM maxed out, I think at 3440x1440 I've seen over 10-11gb used.

Season Pass is on sale right now at HumbleBundle Store ending today: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-season-pass
20th Anniversary Celebration Pack is on sale as well if you're interested in that: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-20-year-celebration-pack

If you are 50% complete (which includes collectibles and challenges, etc) you should be reaching Geothermal Valley soon which has no snow and is the 2nd major hub in the game. This game does use a lot of VRAM maxed out, I think at 3440x1440 I've seen over 10-11gb used.

Season Pass is on sale right now at HumbleBundle Store ending today: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-season-pass
20th Anniversary Celebration Pack is on sale as well if you're interested in that: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-20-year-celebration-pack
It says the season pass requires the 20th celebration pack. It doesn't work with the original game? That would be hard to believe.

I'm playing 2560x1440 and it dies over high textures. Haven't checked the exact vram usage. But I'm sure that causes the slowdown.

I first entered the geothermal valley around 30%. But there wasn't many missions there, and I was back into the frozen parts before I knew it.

Back