Rise of the Tomb Raider

EDIT2: Always forget that SLI is disabled when you install new drivers, since it makes no sense at all. Re-enabled it and I'm seeing ~30 frames higher (from average 45 over all to average 77 over all) so not good scaling, but not terrible. Going to re-enable DX12 and see if it's any different or if it's true as another poster here said and SLI isn't available yet.

Holy shit. I forgot about this as well. Wondering why the game ran like absolute ass at places. Just turned settings down till it was playable again. Just checked, and SLI was off. Why the hell NVidea thinks that is a good idea, i'll never know. If it's selected on before the upgrade, leave it the fuck on! Jesus.

I really enjoyed the game. I finished the main story but there seems to be a reasonable amount of additional exploration to do. The graphics were darn right amazing.

I still need to pick this one up, but I haven't seen it hit a price point I'm comfortable with yet.
Ditto, getting close but now my problem is my GPU may not be able to push it at high enough settings to make it pop :(

IMO the DX12 version is not worth it. It has some graphical glitches.

I wish the game had a NG+ mode. I'm not at 100%, but the few things I have left don't involve much of anything beyond shooting random objects in each area.
Replaying the game with the difficulty super-high (beyond the normal hard settings) and all your existing weapons sounds like fun.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I agree with you :)

I can see you are not a noob (at least on [H[ forum ) either. w/ Messages: 15,920 / Joined: Apr 28, 2007

I was @ 47% complete a few hours ago & 54% now. This game is just addicting... it is hard to stop & SAVE.

It's got everything!!! There is a consistent story thread, primary & secondary & tertiary character arcs, a good mix of exploration, puzzles, combat and a bit too much collecting & crafting (I fucking hate collecting & crafting).

My only two "complaints" are - Lara is way too "baby faced" and looks nothing like the 18-20 year that I expect to become the adult Lara I expect + the cut scenes go on a bit too long sometimes... to the point that I turn up the volume, walk away, get some food, get a beer, take a leak, etc. and kinda' miss some stuff... BUT - I did get food, beer, etc. so I got that going for me... ;)

I've always been a FPS player & racer - so I'm pretty much a "start to finish" player / racer...

I never did "side quests" or re-plays (they don't exist in "shooters on rails" but racing is all repeat tracks / cars).

Anyway, at some point , I got sick of FPS & racing & tried Skyrim after seeing MODS on youtube.

OMG - it is so freaking beautiful.... I just ride around like a tourist!!!!!!

After that, I realized that I really like scenery & variety & decided to try Witcher 3.

TOTALLY LOVE IT... I recently reached Skellige after doing TONS of side quests.

W3 is kind of slow going for me as a result, but I am fine with that... it is a gorgeous game.

Anyway - I bought Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration PC CD Key, Key - cdkeys.com

So I got all the extra's & TOTALLY look forward to becoming a "completionist" w/ this game.

:D

Last edited:
Any graphical upgrades in this version? Will the original owners of the game get the benefits of the 20 year version?

You just get all the DLC w/ the game from the start as a bundle (for $29 total):

"Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration also includes the new “Blood Ties” single player content, new Co-Op play for Endurance mode, “Ultimate Survivor” difficulty mode for the main campaign, 20 Year Celebration outfit and gun, and 5 classic Lara skins. Also includes all previously released Downloadable Content including: Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch, Endurance Mode, Cold Darkness Awakened, 12 outfits, 7 weapons, and 35 expedition cards. With over 50 hours of gameplay, this is the most comprehensive version of the award-winning experience."

Last edited:
Help!!! I am at the Lost City & it looks like the final map...

When I look at the map tho, it says the areas I already passed thru are only 65% or 74% complete.

Should I go back to the various base camps and complete those (find all relics, documents, extra tombs, etc.) before finishing the game now, or can return later from a saved game file or what?

the camp just before the last area is your last save point. so if you beat the game from there and then continue again you start there and can go back and get everything and then beat it again. there isn't a continue spot for post completion. and yes to get 100% in an area you have to get every last little thing.

Whoo-hoo!!!! Finished the game - applause, applause, applause!!!!!!

BUTT - WTF was that last bonus scene w/ Anna? Time to head to Croft Manor I presume...

After that, I guess I'll explore the 20th anniversary / DLC stuff...

Do old saves work with this version of the game? I don't have the game installed anymore, but it used cloud saves (I think).

With powerful systems, I don't see any reason to use DX12 rather than DX11 in this game.
VXAO, unfortunately, is only available in DX11 mode.

With powerful systems, I don't see any reason to use DX12 rather than DX11 in this game.
VXAO, unfortunately, is only available in DX11 mode.

weird that VXAO is only available with DX11...seems like there's pretty much no reason to use DX12 in any game...maybe AMD owners get some performance improvements but overall as far as features, DX12 seems very, very disappointing...Vulkan seems more promising

maybe AMD owners get some performance improvements...Vulkan seems more promising
yes for both for me!! rotr under dx12 performs the same as dx11 fps wise but is totally smooth when dx11 stutters occasionally and sometime drops fps. dx12 is a much better experience.
edit: dx12 also balances across my cpu cores more evenly, uses less vram but more dynamic memory than dx11.

comparing rotr dx12 vs 11 benchmark numbers, in order but I don't remember the names...:

dx12 dx11
78 81
64 64
67 59
70 68

doom opengl vs vulkan is like 60-90/100FPS vs 100-120FPS on high and 50-70 vs 60-80 on ultra. sometimes a bit more depending on the scene and enemies.!

Running the in game bench, I was getting 105 avg score with DX11 and 134 avg score with DX12. So I do believe, it is worth playing in DX12 considering now the bugs are fixed (regarding flashing textures) on NV hardware. Also I believe, Sli is working in DX12.

weird that VXAO is only available with DX11...seems like there's pretty much no reason to use DX12 in any game...maybe AMD owners get some performance improvements but overall as far as features, DX12 seems very, very disappointing...Vulkan seems more promising
Indeed. VXAO is such a nice improvement over HBAO+.
For the best visual fidelity, DX11 with VXAO is superior to DX12 in this game.

Also last time I checked it there was some visual glitches in DX12 version. Some kind of flickering.

Last edited:
I never beat the first one because I got bored. Is this one superior in every way?

it was a newer version but played basically the same. bit better graphics and a different story but same controls and the same gameplay. I cant really think of anything that stands out compared to the first but I personally liked both. not sure if that helps or not but id still say at least try it.

I grabbed the 20th anniversary edition on cdkeys...seemed like a good deal for the game and all the DLC.

Gorgeous graphics, so far feels very much like the first game. Haven't gotten too far yet, though.

Is the 20th anniversary the game of the year version (i.e, will it have all the dlcs or are there still more dls in the work ?)

Is the 20th anniversary the game of the year version (i.e, will it have all the dlcs or are there still more dls in the work ?)

At this point it seems like it is probably the definitive edition.

My only gripe with Rise is the difficulty. Outside of 2-3 moments where you're pinned down in a bad spot, the game is incredibly easy. Even on the highest difficulty. I played with a pad and still cruised through the game like it was Uncharted on Easy.

The game's pure eye candy. I love VXAO. I wish more games support this.
Also, TXAA would have been amazing with this game.

DX12 + VXAO + TXAA could be amazing.

One thing I will say about the 20th Anniversary Edition is that all of the weapons and outfits the DLC unlocks makes certain progression in the game pointless. As in, you get an unlocked heavy pistol from the DLC but there are crates to find in the game with parts to get a heavy pistol with the same stats, just a different skin. Makes finding those crates pointless. There are several others as well, that is just one example.

Can you turn that part of the DLC off? I haven't played yet and while I want to get it all I don't want overpowered dlc the first time around.

How good is the new mission DLC that's in the Croft manor? I'm not sure if I want to get it.

I only finished the main game & still need to go back into RISE and try the mansion.

Last edited:
Just started playing this today, as it was 50% off on steam I bought it. So far, so good too. I've obviously died ten billion times so far while working out how to handle Lara but that apart, this looks like it's going to be a really enjoyable play.

I'm liking the 'survival' aspect, coupled with the adventure and stealth reminiscent at times of MGS5 (what the blooming heck did they get rid of Hiedo Kojima for then >.<). I'll post back later as I've only put in around ten hours so far but yeah, it's looking promising!

Just started playing this today, as it was 50% off on steam I bought it. So far, so good too. I've obviously died ten billion times so far while working out how to handle Lara but that apart, this looks like it's going to be a really enjoyable play.

I'm liking the 'survival' aspect, coupled with the adventure and stealth reminiscent at times of MGS5 (what the blooming heck did they get rid of Hiedo Kojima for then >.<). I'll post back later as I've only put in around ten hours so far but yeah, it's looking promising!
I actually just finally started playing through MGS5 and I'm loving it, but now that this is 50% off I'm definitely going to bite on it too and add it to the queue.

Out of curiosity, you playing with kb+m or controller? I'm doing just great with MGS5 using kb+m when I thought I'd be forced into using a gamepad, wondering if this game is similar.

Back