Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Apr 19, 2011.

1. S.Pliskin

S.Pliskin n00b

Ive been waiting for the next planet of the apes movie to be made.Not exactly what i wanted but i will be seeing it none the less. Besides the original,Conquest of the planet of apes is one of my favorite movies.

George Taylor: A planet where apes evolved from men? There's got to be an answer.
    Dr. Zaius: Don't look for it, Taylor. You may not like what you find.

o_O

2. tokey

tokey [H]ardness Supreme

w00t I posted this in genmay on the 17th.

yay for me

3. Uncle

Uncle 2[H]4U

Their counting on the new generation born after 1990.

4. AVogel

AVogel Limp Gawd

Yeah. If I had to choose between being ruled by a bunch of apes or the 90's generation, I'd choose the apes.

5. Oldie

Oldie Mean Old Administrator Staff Member

This looks like a Made for SyFy.....not a theater release.

6. FearTheCow

FearTheCow [H]ardness Supreme

A movie needs to be plausible in some way shape or form to be enjoyable to me. Trying to say a handful of apes are capable of bringing down mankind is stupid.

7. wishi

wishi n00b

8. artimasz

artimasz Gawd

remake Inception... with apes.

9. michael.pa2

michael.pa2 2[H]4U

There are some movies that should never,ever be remade or have sequels or prequels because the original just can't be beat. Planet of the Apes is one of these,the sequels were increasingly awful as was the "reboot". When will Hollywood learn ? I still haven't forgiven them for what they did with Jaws,best movie I ever saw and they sullied it with the worst sequels ever made.

10. Ashbringer

Ashbringer [H]ardness Supreme

No sir, there is only 1 reboot. Everything else is remastered shit.

11. Yakk

Yakk [H]ardness Supreme

Lol.... +1

12. Mr. Bluntman

Mr. Bluntman [H]ardness Supreme

I think I'm going to pass on this.

13. MindBuster

MindBuster 2[H]4U

I didnt read the original books.
    I have all the old movies with the first being the best, second second best, third was actually ok, didnt care much for the 4th and 5th.

pota2001 was a big fail, I mean, talking humans ?

14. timtheenchantor

timtheenchantor Gawd

Trailer looks like the stereotypical "Company is very huge and starts to become evil" type of vibe

15. Tak Ne

Tak Ne [H]ard|Gawd

I always though the way Steve Balmer acted & talked was more like....
    And his middle name is Cornelius too.

16. slickmitch

slickmitch Gawd

Three's Company : Rise of the Ropers
    Fall Guy : Jody's Revenge
    BJ and the Bear 3D

this is where Hollywood is headed

17. Silentbob343

Silentbob343 [H]ard|Gawd

There aren't enough apes in the world, super intelligent or not, to take over the planet. Oh I'm sure there will be some ape factory that pumps out apes for medical research to explain it away, but its a bit too much disbelief for me.

18. PopeKevinI

PopeKevinI 2[H]4U

This would work within the original story *if* the events in the trailer were happening alongside the beginning of World War 3. The creation of apes with human-level intelligence right at the same time as a nuclear war would leave human survivors competing with these new apes without the advantage of much of our technology.

That would actually make a lot more sense than if we DIDN'T engineer apes to be more like people.

19. Monkey God

Monkey God Mangina Full of Sand

Without something else like that the story is completely implausible.

20. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

Couldn't be in any worse shape... actually it would probably be better compared to who is running the country right now.

21. alienz

alienz Limp Gawd

22. Ruoh

Ruoh [H]ardness Supreme

I found out, one evening in my youth, that wasn't a great line to quote when getting manhandled out of a night club by a couple large black men. I wasn't sober, and it was meant as a joke, but they didn't see it that way.

Back on topic though, it looks like a good movie, but I'll watch it in the spirit that it's an adaptation.. not really part of the "original" story line. I'd love to see them do a remake of Logan's Run or THX1138.

23. PopeKevinI

PopeKevinI 2[H]4U

Last I heard, there's a remake of Logan's Run in the channel.

24. stop!theradio

stop!theradio 2[H]4U

I feel very sorry for you, then.

Looks like you'd hate probably 99% of movies out there - ESPECIALLY science fiction movies, too.

The point of movies is ENTERTAINMENT, not plausibility. :rolleyes:

25. Ruoh

Ruoh [H]ardness Supreme

That would be pretty sweet. Would be nice if they could expand on the story line a little as well.

26. weuntouchable

weuntouchable [H]ard|Gawd

27. Gnasher

Gnasher [H]ard|Gawd

I saw some people commenting on youtube and they said this story is taken from one of the author's books. Not true?

28. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn [H]ard|Gawd

It doesn't look like it but it has been a very long since I read them.

I remember the story being that cats and dogs were wiped out by a disease of some sort and humans started using apes as pets and then slave labor after training them. Along comes an ape that was smart enough to create an uprising. The story was somewhat plausible since nearly every household had multiple slaves.

I don't remember what happened when they revolted though...it has been too long.

29. WBurchnall

WBurchnall 2[H]4U

OMG Zombies! I mean Apes playing Zombie Vs Human!

30. weuntouchable

weuntouchable [H]ard|Gawd

Pierre Boulle wrote Monkey Planet which was the book that Planet of the Apes was based off of. He didn't write any sequels to the book. Monkey Planet is similar to the original Planet of the Apes film with a few differences. Planet of the Apes was to the 1970s on a smaller scale what Star Wars became in the 1980s with additional movies, expanded universe fiction, toys, etc. I'm not familiar with all of the expanded universe so I can't say if this new film is based primarily on one of those. But, it is not based primarily off of the original author's works.

31. WBurchnall

WBurchnall 2[H]4U

Well, remember that...It's a bit of a time-warp delimea....

Initially, the older-religious-leader ape said that in the 1st ape movie. He explained that as how apes eventually overcame humans, etc. That's the story told by the forefathers to their congregation is that the 'Apes are the supreme beings' and 'Apes were made in the image of god'. However, the real clergy know the 'real story' of when humans revolted and how it happened. One particularly smart animal started the revolution and its featured i nthe 3rd or 4th movie.

The problem is, --is --that---how--it--happened -- the first time? Remember that Cornelius and his wife go back in time to the 1960s, get 'funky' and have an ape baby which is raised by a circus trainer after Cornelius and his wife are murdered by the government. That child eventually starts the revolution.

It makes a chicken before the egg-scenario though. Was the first-revolution done by Cornelius's son? Probably not b/c he hadn't been sent back from the future yet. That was likely done by some genetically modified ape from the experiments shown in this trailer. A great-great-grandson of the genetically modified ape is Cornelius's Son who existed in 1960s time-frame....and he was the one who likely started the '2nd' revolution in the new timeline where Cornelius + his wife had came to earth.

If it makes any sense, there's likely two timelines. A second-timeline being created when Cornelius and his wife came to the past. This would make sense since the original space-pilot was confused when he saw apes in the future.

Had Cornelius already came to the past, the apes traveling from the future with the prediction of apes ruling the world in the future would have been past-history/past knowledge and the space-pilot should have been unsurprised by it. In reality, he was 'shocked' to see the statue of liberty and realizing this 'plant' he thought he was on was actually earth's future. Suggesting two timelines exist.

32. Monkey34

Monkey34 [H]ardness Supreme

Logan's Run would be a good choice. I hadn't heard of THX1138 before, but it's on the "to watch" list now.

33. Morphes

Morphes 2[H]4U

This is what kills me. Mother fucker we got guns, how long would it take the army to kill a fuck ton of apes?

34. Ruoh

Ruoh [H]ardness Supreme

Be warned, many people find it a little... Dry. It's not action packed per se, but a study of a dystopian future.

35. Balthazor

Balthazor Gawd

Why would a helicopter be flying so close a bridge flooded with apes that an ape could jump on it?

Humans in this film will definitely die.