Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to know what is going on with Rey, search the web. Disney may have accidentally given away what we're really seeing. Alternatively, don't look it up and maybe you'll be surprised. But essentially, the belief is that as happened before, the trailer is an unreliable narrator.

looks not to bad and no "darth rey" in that one. still think that was just the training like evil luke that luke ran into.

EZb.gif

"The saga ends? The Saga ENDS?? Grow some tits, Skywalker, because we're milking this until the universe has forgotten Jar Jar." (Darth Sidious laughter)

Last edited:
Yawn ... both Star Wars and Star Trek are dead to me now.

They need to make an - "Ewok vs Porg" film to end the franchise once and for all. I'd pay good money to see those two kill each other off. Sure many others would too.

212115_sw12.jpg

These new movies have all been kind of meh... I have low expectations for this final supposed movie. Personally I wish they would go to the Old Republic times, much more interesting story lines there when Jedi were extremely common.

Some of this latest preview had me starting to think about how cool it could look in Imax (like the corvette flying low)...

And then I saw them riding horses. Horses, really? That's all I could think about for the rest of the preview. WTF? o_O

the shot in the new trailer (1:48 mark) of the Emperor's Death Star throne room from Return of the Jedi was pretty cool...that's the room Luke, Vader and the Emperor fought

These new movies have all been kind of meh... I have low expectations for this final supposed movie. Personally I wish they would go to the Old Republic times, much more interesting story lines there when Jedi were extremely common.

I rather have a newly formed New Republic vs Imperial Remnant but movie about Old Republic times pre Ruusan Reformation would be interesting.

I'm still waiting for the story of Darth Vader in his prime.. fill in the blanks between the first 6 films.

First 3 ends with the birth of Darth Vader and the last 3 is when he is an old man.

I'm still waiting for the story of Darth Vader in his prime.. fill in the blanks between the first 6 films.

First 3 ends with the birth of Darth Vader and the last 3 is when he is an old man.

Huh?

Ya know.. first 3 that started from the 70s is really part 3-6. Those were when darth Vader and obi-wan were ancient.. then the other 3 movies that came out in 2000+ that now are really the first 3 in the series were about anakin becoming Darth Vader. That ends with him finally becoming Darth Vader.

The newest movies are all based years after Darth Vader is dead.

Reactions: N4CR
like this

Me too. Let's see Vader kick some serious ass. You have probably already seen this fan film. Thought I'd share it anyway for those who may be interested.

Ya know.. first 3 that started from the 70s is really part 3-6. Those were when darth Vader and obi-wan were ancient.. then the other 3 movies that came out in 2000+ that now are really the first 3 in the series were about anakin becoming Darth Vader. That ends with him finally becoming Darth Vader.

The newest movies are all based years after Darth Vader is dead.

Yes I know the timeline, but What are you asking? Stories of Darth Vader between episodes?

I'd be okay with that. Other media have covered Darth Vader's hunting of remaining Jedi but it'd probably be cool to see on film. Seeing Vader rip through rebel scum in Rogue One was a highlight.
But that would make little kids cry. /s

I was actually just thinking about Rogue One as I watched this Rise of Skywalker trailer, thinking I'd rather watch Rogue five more times (those battle sequences!!) than yet another G-rated, inclusive eye-roller with Keanu Skeeves and all the gang. This storyline shouldve been wrapped up two episodes ago, but more wisecracking chubby asian girl, giggling CGI gerbils and John Boyega extreme face close-ups abound.

Still holding out hope that The Mandelorian will be good though.

They still intend to release a new SW movie every 500 days or so.

You mean Disney presents: Social Justice Wars?

Star Wars is dead

Rise of Skywalker | Final Trailer

Honestly, the first trailer was better. And as usual for these types of movies, too many spoilers given in this one - like Kylo and Rey working together. I might see it after it comes out on Disney+ and Disney+ is available on PC and I actually decide to subscribe.

The "everything is SJW" sky is falling nonsense is so tiring, and pretty bad here on [H] . "Star Wars is SJW, Star Trek discovery is SJW" ... give it a rest. The people who make these claims are just as bad as SJW's the only difference is they are on the other end of the spectrum, which is pretty close to incel territory TBH.

The "everything is SJW" sky is falling nonsense is so tiring, and pretty bad here on [H] . "Star Wars is SJW, Star Trek discovery is SJW" ... give it a rest. The people who make these claims are just as bad as SJW's the only difference is they are on the other end of the spectrum, which is pretty close to incel territory TBH.

Discovery does not need to be SJW to be really, really bad. (Which it is.) As for the Last Skywalker, I think they messed up Episode 7, 8 and 9. Having the Alliance on the run again was not proper cannon, I believe, and even then, it made folks look stupid, on both sides. Oh, and a pouting, whining, crying, feeling sorry for himself, screw the galaxy Skywalker was just as dumb as I have ever seen anything. (I did love Rogue One though, it was a lot of fun and essentially what Star Wars was all about.)

Discovery does not need to be SJW to be really, really bad. (Which it is.) As for the Last Skywalker, I think they messed up Episode 7, 8 and 9. Having the Alliance on the run again was not proper cannon, I believe, and even then, it made folks look stupid, on both sides. Oh, and a pouting, whining, crying, feeling sorry for himself, screw the galaxy Skywalker was just as dumb as I have ever seen anything. (I did love Rogue One though, it was a lot of fun and essentially what Star Wars was all about.)
I do not agree that discovery is "really, really bad" ... its quite good actually. Perhaps this is why it won numerous such as: saturn, primetime emmy, hugo, Dragon, Empire award to name a few. There is also this little fact:
According to Parrot Analytics, a data analytics firm who measure demand for TV shows across the globe, Star Trek: Discovery season 2 was a measurable hit. Between April 6 and May 5 - the season 2 finale, "Such Sweet Sorrow", released on April 18 - Star Trek: Discovery was the most in-demand digital original series worldwide. Further, it was the #2 science-fiction series worldwide, narrowly beaten by The 100.

I do not agree that discovery is "really, really bad" ... its quite good actually. Perhaps this is why it won numerous such as: saturn, primetime emmy, hugo, Dragon, Empire award to name a few. There is also this little fact:

LOL! Hey, Chevy had JD Power awards but that does not make them good vehicles. :D If you do not agree with me, that is cool but, awards do not mean anything, I still think the "show" was really bad.

That's a ridiculous assumption. People seem to forget just how much George Lucas hated his own fans... we still to this day don't have a completely unmodified version of the original Star Wars that we can buy. The relationship between the "key holders" of the Star Wars universe and the fans has been contentious for forever. Every couple of years it's like watching the Mona Lisa being constantly being tweaked and modified and re-painted. The fans of Star Wars are passionate about Star Wars and that has nothing to do with being a fucking Incel. That word REALLY gets thrown around too much lately and i'm tired of it. Last Jedi was a terrible movie and not to mention the worst Star Wars movie by miles. It destroyed so many things about Star Wars, and to watch your favorite franchise getting fucked up left and right and then told that because we hated the movie we are misogynistic, or didn't like it because of women, or because it was a SJW shit show (which it was)... this always happens. Remember when they re-did Ghostbusters with all women? Anyone critical of that movie was a misogynistic piece of garbage... but literally nothing was said about how bad the actual movie was. You take a landmark and beloved franchises and movies like Ghostbusters and Star Wars and try to inject your modern politics into it and destroying beloved characters like Luke, and established laws within that universe... you can't expect your fan-base to be behind that shit.

Last Jedi to me was so terrible that it literally killed Star Wars to me. I mean... I always looked forward to the next Star Wars with enthusiasm and now I could care less about Star Wars. The movie I had been looking forward to the most this year was Joker... not the Star Wars movie. It took me over a year to even watch Solo because I couldn't care to watch it. Yes I will see Episode 9 but I am just not the Star Wars guy like I used to be... other things have taken the place of Star Wars and I guess that's fine. I just wished things had ended up better for the beloved characters I grew up with in the Star Wars universe.

Last edited:
That's a ridiculous assumption. People seem to forget just how much George Lucas hated his own fans... we still to this day don't have a completely unmodified version of the original Star Wars that we can buy. The relationship between the "key holders" of the Star Wars universe and the fans has been contentious for forever. Every couple of years it's like watching the Mona Lisa being constantly being tweaked and modified and re-painted. The fans of Star Wars are passionate about Star Wars and that has nothing to do with being a fucking Incel. That word REALLY gets thrown around too much lately and i'm tired of it. Last Jedi was a terrible movie and not to mention the worst Star Wars movie by miles. It destroyed so many things about Star Wars, and to watch your favorite franchise getting fucked up left and right and then told that because we hated the movie we are misogynistic, or didn't like it because of women, or because it was a SJW shit show (which it was)... this always happens. Remember when they re-did Ghostbusters with all women? Anyone critical of that movie was a misogynistic piece of garbage... but literally nothing was said about how bad the actual movie was. You take a landmark and beloved franchises and movies like Ghostbusters and Star Wars and try to inject your modern politics into it and destroying beloved characters like Luke, and established laws within that universe... you can't expect your fan-base to be behind that shit.

Last Jedi to me was so terrible that it literally killed Star Wars to me. I mean... I always looked forward to the next Star Wars with enthusiasm and now I could care less about Star Wars. The movie I had been looking forward to the most this year was Joker... not the Star Wars movie. It took me over a year to even watch Solo because I couldn't care to watch it. Yes I will see Episode 9 but I am just not the Star Wars guy like I used to be... other things have taken the place of Star Wars and I guess that's fine. I just wished things had ended up better for the beloved characters I grew up with in the Star Wars universe.
I love when people claim "fans are passionate about Star Wars" and then completely forget about Leia being one of the first SJWs. Who took out multiple storm troopers on the death star, because Like couldn't shoot for shit when fumbling with his grappling hook. Who took out multiple storm troopers in the detention block and created an escape route for bumbling Han and Lukes rescue attempt. Who single-handedly killed Jabba? Are people even familiar with who Carrie Fisher was?

like this
I love when people claim "fans are passionate about Star Wars" and then completely forget about Leia being one of the first SJWs. Who took out multiple storm troopers on the death star, because Like couldn't shoot for shit when fumbling with his grappling hook. Who took out multiple storm troopers in the detention block and created an escape route for bumbling Han and Lukes rescue attempt. Who single-handedly killed Jabba? Are people even familiar with who Carrie Fisher was?

That was not SJW at all, not sure where you are getting that from, unless you are being sarcastic. She was a Senator (I think) with experience in combat, Luke had no combat experience and as for Han, he was who he is. :)

That was not SJW at all, not sure where you are getting that from, unless you are being sarcastic. She was a Senator (I think) with experience in combat, Luke had no combat experience and as for Han, he was who he is. :)
A SJW ... by definition is
a person who expresses or promotes socially progressive views.
Star Wars was released in 1977. At that time audiences expected Leia to be the stereotypical princess. What they got was anything but. She confronts Vader to his face, mocking both him and Tarkin. She mocks the height of Luke as a storm trooper, She salvaged Han and Luke's bumbling escape attempt, she shot down storm troopers more effectively than the "heroes". She strangled Jabba to death with her bare hands (and a chain). Make no mistake Princess Leia was most deifinitly an SJW of her time and Carrie Fisher had acknowledged this, and was quite proud of it, on many occasions.

A SJW ... by definition is Star Wars was released in 1977. At that time audiences expected Leia to be the stereotypical princess. What they got was anything but. She confronts Vader to his face, mocking both him and Tarkin. She mocks the height of Luke as a storm trooper, She salvaged Han and Luke's bumbling escape attempt, she shot down storm troopers more effectively than the "heroes". She strangled Jabba to death with her bare hands (and a chain). Make no mistake Princess Leia was most deifinitly an SJW of her time and Carrie Fisher was acknowledge this, and was quite proud of it, on many occasions.

She was not an SJW, just someone who knew how to kick ass, that is all. :) Please stop trying to make things that are not as though they are.

Edit: Oh, and they ruined things by not making her ability to use the force available but instead, pretended that it did not exist in the future. (No, not her son Ben but her, herself.)

I don't think there's enough nuance around discussions of social justice. The problem happens in both directions.

Some of us that consider ourselves progressive or "for social justice" still have problems with the W part, the warriors and are trying to distance ourselves from parts of the movement that hurt us more than help. (Progressive and SJW are not the same thing, sorry, and really again- these simple labels may be necessary but have no nuance). It's a long discussion and probably not worth delving into here because it's getting way off-topic.

Example: Many "SJWs" are starting to lash out at other progressives- calling us misogynists/sexist for not supporting Elizabeth Warren. The left is eating itself and the warriors are the ones destroying any hope for unity amongst progressives.​

--

To bring it back more to the topic at hand:

- It is a legitimate issue that one cannot be critical of a movie remake without being labeled by the W's as a misogynist, etc
- It is also a legitimate issue that W's have gotten us to the point where progressive values are being shoehorned into series, movies, etc
- It is a legitimate issue that a work of fiction can get criticized for having a misogynistic character in it- it's fiction! The characters aren't all supposed to be great people... it's all about how the writing handles it.

We have completely forgotten how to handle ideas, characters, actions, and situations we oppose in reality when they are displayed in fictional work. This is a fundamental societal problem that is growing. It is what happens when progressive ideas get pushed by ignorant people. Good values can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

While I'm all for potentially introducing progressive values into existing series through certain characters or creating all new works that espouse those values, it has to be done well, it has to fit the story, the characters, the atmosphere, the lore... and it still has to be open to criticism. Using "progressive ideas" as a shield to prevent criticism is another big problem.

like this
I don't think most people have an issue with strong women...just badly written strong women who are defended by the "You are just a sexist" rethoric. I loved Leia, Ripley, Sarah Connor, because they were extremely well written. They weren't perfect, they learned from their mistakes, the lost, but then they won. They weren't good at everything and very believable.

When I saw TFA...I liked Rey. She started with a decent story....but as it kept going she just was too good and just seems like some dudes wet dream about what a strong character is....really not that fun at all.

like this
Let's not throw around sjw, let's throw around incel instead!

Throwing around "SJW": BAD!
Throwing around "incel": GOOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back