Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to see the next starwars movie. But I don't NEED to see it.

I needed to see episode 1. Go burnt. Since then star wars isn't a need. I'm sure it will have moments that entertain me. But I don't get all wrapped up in the behind the scenes shit. Hero's should be capable. I had no issue with what's new name tapping in and using the force on people after having it done to her. I only blinked when she whipped around a lightsaber and didn't lop off her own arm. The whole wrestling with the trained Jedi bit... it made me think that he isn't ACTUALLY evil but infiltrating to betray the big badguy at the end and bring and end to all that is wrong in the world. Of course in the end it will make him the big bad and he didn't see that coming or thought he wouldn't be as corruptible. Who knows.

So you can be all pissed or look for other reasons. Develop your own context for things to make sense.

And in he end... the good guys should win.

When I was a kid, Star Wars was my favorite. I watched the original trilogy countless times. I obsessed about owning a high quality version I could watch whenever I wanted, so I bought the THX edition on VHS and later forked over cash for the laserdisc edition. Return of the Jedi was always my least favorite, but I loved the other two and I could accept Jedi for what it was.

I used to think there was still time to make the final trilogy and prequels before the original cast got too old. I was soooo excited when the news broke that Lucas was finally making the prequels. The only time I ever fell for a fan-made trailer thinking it was the real thing was prior to the Phantom Menace trailer release. Someone did a great job of editing together a trailer, complete with footage from Braveheart with a bunch of light sabers added in. It looked like Clone Wars with massive numbers of jedi! Watching it the next day with coworkers we figured out that we had been had. Our collective excitement when watching it the previous day made us miss some rather obvious signs that it was not authentic.

Then the prequels happened. I didn't really like any of them, they were just OK mostly. At the same time, Lucas kept tinkering with the original trilogy to the point that he lessened those as well. Then the franchise went dormant again.

I have to admit, I was not even a little bit excited when JJ Abrams took over. I'm not a fan of his and feel he's overrated. Way overrated. Didn't like Lost. Didn't like Fringe. Armageddon, that horrible movie... yeah, he wrote it. MI3 as well. Not a good resume. I did not like his Star Trek reboot, it was like really bad fan fiction, and here he was trashing another IP from my childhood. And trash it he has.

I know The Force Awakens made bank in North America, but it is not a good movie. The Last Jedi is downright awful.

So we sit here today in a place where I can't say I'm a fan of the series. When the number of films I like, 3 (A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Rogue One) is greatly exceeded by the number I do not like (all the rest), I'm sure that disqualifies me me as a fan.

TLDR - I no longer like Star Wars and don't care / won't be watching Return of Skywalker. Probably will never see it, since there are hundreds of movies on my plex server I haven't watched that I actually want to view.

#1 was Lucas trying to make a Disney-ish kids movie a la the Dumb live action Disney movies they were known for in the 60's & 70's. The obvious last minute switch out form a teen anakin to a child killed any 'romance development or character development'. So it was a complete waste. #2 was starting to make up for lost time by bad writing and sudden leaps in plot or character development. No 3 was actually better, but suffered from plot compression due to needing to close the arc and still make up time lost in #1. Long story short. #1 made it nearly impossible for #2 or #3 to be good. And after #2 being not so good, #3 had zero chance of being good despite everything being finally on point.

Despite being not good, they weren't franchise destroying and lead to some good spin off properties.

IMO the writing really didn't improve a whole lot up through Episode III. Look at the weird, out-of-place slapstick comedy during the rescue of the Chancellor in the opening act. Episode III is the best of the prequels simply because most of the cool prequel stuff we wanted to see happens in Episode III.

Lucas is a special effects guy. I think what really happened with the prequel trilogy is that the whole digital filmmaking process they crafted to enable new special effects ultimately killed the creative process on set. The original Star Wars trilogy was a massive collaborative practical effort on set, the prequel trilogy was a bunch of guys following the director's commands and awkwardly sitting/standing/fighting 1v1 in front of a blue screen.

Quote from Luke from the teaser.

"The force is strong in my family. My father has it, I have it, my sister has it... You have that power too..."

Luke had a bastard child and Daisy Ridley was it. Oops, sorry, Disney, I spoiled the surprise.

Rogue One was the only movie that reasonably resembled a Star Wars movie, since 1983. Hard pass on me, for this shovel-ready movie.

I was obsessed with all of the games and read all of the books until about 2000. There are so many better storylines in the extended universe. It's a shame Disney blew their opportunity with Star Wars.

Luke had a bastard child and Daisy Ridley was it. Oops, sorry, Disney, I spoiled the surprise.

Rogue One was the only movie that reasonably resembled a Star Wars movie, since 1983. Hard pass on me, for this shovel-ready movie.

I was obsessed with all of the games and read all of the books until about 2000. There are so many better storylines in the extended universe. It's a shame Disney blew their opportunity with Star Wars.
rogue one was amazing vs the other new trash

new poster revealed at D23...they also showed a brief new clip which concluded with Rey in a dark cloak and unleashing a red double-bladed lightsaber!!

MZzWiGX.jpg

Last edited:
new poster revealed at D23...they also showed a brief new clip which concluded with Rey in a dark cloak and unleashing a red double-bladed lightsaber!!

View attachment 182704

I won’t spend money to see it. I am still pissed about ep8.

I am on the Disney boat in January so probably see it on the ship though. I love me a double jack and coke with a movie.

All I want is one good jedi scene out of the three movies!

It’s sad when a video game does it better... way way better. Like the force users are actual powers to reckon with.

It’s sad when a video game does it better... way way better. Like the force users are actual powers to reckon with.

that's a bad-ass clip!...but to be fair, I think it's easier to render that in a video game then an actual movie with real actors and sets...the amount of $$ it would take to render that in a movie would be crazy

that's a bad-ass clip!...but to be fair, I think it's easier to render that in a video game then an actual movie with real actors and sets...the amount of $$ it would take to render that in a movie would be crazy

I think the movie is all practically rendered anyways. Like.. they have similar graphical intensity of scenes, they just suck with the execution and plot.

Even the EA jedi game coming out is the same way. It looks like a joke compared to Jedi Academy.

When a Sith lord used to show up it was an “oh shit” moment. Think of Luke vs the emperor. Ever feel like that with whiny bitch boy? I can’t even remember his name he’s so memorable.

It’s sad when a video game does it better... way way better.

You want the movies to look like a crappy EA video game? I've always thought the Old Republic trailer looked like a bad 3d-animated kids cartoon.

I'll take the Obi-Wan/Vader duel in A New Hope over 3 billion animated nobodies chopping away at each other. The films are great because of the characters, not the fight choreography.

You want the movies to look like a crappy EA video game? I've always thought the Old Republic trailer looked like a bad 3d-animated kids cartoon.

I'll take the Obi-Wan/Vader duel in A New Hope over 3 billion animated nobodies chopping away at each other. The films are great because of the characters, not the fight choreography.

Yes, that is exactly what I was going for.

There is talk about retconning stuff from TLJ, so who knows.

Personally, I REALLY hope they don't try to make Rey a Skywalker. That would be so fucking stupid and unnecessary.
It's Disney, so maybe Luke will come out gay, and Rey is the first child born to two gay men and she saves the galaxy.

The films are great because of the characters, not the fight choreography.
And because the good guys can actually get hurt, and not instant masters at everything they try. Plus the bad guys aren't completely inept schoolchildren.

I watched EP1 and EP2 when they came out.

I hated EP1 with a passion. Jar Jar. The replacement of the whole force mystique with some goddamned blood test for ability. The 5 year old flying a military space craft like some goddamned video game,n The whole thing was just so terribly eye-roll worthy I couldn't stand it. I was hoping it was only a one time fluke, so I watched EP2 when it came out as well. Some things were better, but Anakin was such a horrible whiny bitch I couldn't stand him, and kind of ruined the film for me.

I was so turned off by those two films that I didn't even bother to see EP3 when it came out. Star Wars was dead to me after that. I didn't get around to seeing it until ~2015 and when I finally saw it I didn't hate it as much as EP1 & EP2, but it kind of felt underwhelming and a bit silly.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens. I thought it was a solid Star Wars film. Maybe the key to happiness is having low expectations, because I certainly didn't expect much from it going in. As far as EP8 goes, I know I saw it, but damn, I can't remember anything about it right now. It certainly had nothing in it that annoyed me to EP1 levels, or I would have remembered it, but it must have been a pretty forgettable film because, well, I forgot about it.
I don't disagree with anything you've said. Just want to point out that Luke was a whiny little bitch in A New Hope also. I didn't notice it when I was a kid, but watching it now makes me cringe. I want to reach right through the screen and throttle the cunt at least 5 times during that film.

I am on the Disney boat in January so probably see it on the ship though. I love me a double jack and coke with a movie.

This original fight is still miles ahead of anything in the next two trilogies:

It wasn't flashy overcoreographed crap for ADD kids, it was meaningful and purposeful, with context and subcontext.

What was wrong with it? I thought it was great. And I grew up watching them all.

This original fight is still miles ahead of anything in the next two trilogies

I ABSOLUTELY agree. This is because it was choreographed by a true swordsman and even suited Vader's armor for some scenes in all three of the originals. Empire is some of the best....and some perfect maai. Hollywood calls it a martial art, or a martial art of a martial art (the flashy) shit you see in the prequels and other movies). The over-choergraphed shit, forgot what name it is (obscene to think of Hollywood's concept of martial arts). They use "flashy" maneuvers and kiai's to have a presence. Looks like shit to me. Most sword fights and fights in any movie or show, but never the originals. You might like this.....This is not bad for flashy HEMA:

It wasn't flashy overcoreographed crap for ADD kids, it was meaningful and purposeful, with context and subcontext.

I cannot stand JJ's Millennial direction-so Micheal Bay bullshit. *boom* *boom* *pew*pew*pew Just cheesy action with not any regard as to why. Micheal Mann, Ridley Scott, Jim Cameron, and Joss Whedon are some of the top when it comes to action and direction. JJ is not even near him-although Frringe was good.

But really Star Wars is dead. I stopped after 7, but saw8. I was given nothing but hatred and shit for what they destroyed. A saga of the world gone...............billions of voices cried out in pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
[The] original fight is still miles ahead of anything in the next two trilogies...

And because the good guys can actually get hurt, and not instant masters at everything they try.

How many sword fights had Luke been in before he took on Vader? When you think about it he actually put up an unbelievably good fight until he got cornered, Vader was supposedly one of the greatest lightsaber duelists ever even after he got the suit, and the only lightsaber training Yoda gave Luke was 'don't do it.' 'A jedi only uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.' You could say Vader was going easy on him during their first confrontation, but you could say the same about the Rey/Ren duel on Starkiller base. He wanted to convert her, not kill her. She didn't want to be there at all, and she only won because she let the force do it's thing while Kylo Ren tried to use it as a tool to destroy her. Luke, Rey, and Ren all fail when they tried to use the force like a tool for their own ends, something Luke tries to explain to Rey in 8 (the force does not belong to the Jedi). After repeatedly failing to get Han out of Jabba's palace with various schemes Luke completed his Jedi training out at the sarlacc pit when he went calm, realized he couldn't use the force to change destiny, and just let it guide his actions.

Rey isn't a superhuman master at everything she tries, she tries to resist leaving home or learning the force but gets pulled along to her destiny, and later she tries and fails to convert Kylo Ren, just like Luke tried to resist using extreme violence to get Han out of Jabba's palace or in his confrontation with Vader and the Emperor. Rey's force powers emerge as a result of her connection with Kylo Ren, a la the Exile and Kreia in KOTOR II, and I think the Episode 7/8 sword fights fit into that story-line perfectly. I really want to see how it plays out in IX.

How many sword fights had Luke been in before he took on Vader? When you think about it he actually put up an unbelievably good fight until he got cornered, Vader was supposedly one of the greatest lightsaber duelists ever even after he got the suit, and the only lightsaber training Yoda gave Luke was 'don't do it.' 'A jedi only uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.' You could say Vader was going easy on him during their first confrontation, but you could say the same about the Rey/Ren duel on Starkiller base. He wanted to convert her, not kill her. She didn't want to be there at all, and she only won because she let the force do it's thing while Kylo Ren tried to use it as a tool to destroy her. Luke, Rey, and Ren all fail when they tried to use the force like a tool for their own ends, something Luke tries to explain to Rey in 8 (the force does not belong to the Jedi). After repeatedly failing to get Han out of Jabba's palace with various schemes Luke completed his Jedi training out at the sarlacc pit when he went calm, realized he couldn't use the force to change destiny, and just let it guide his actions.

Rey isn't a superhuman master at everything she tries, she tries to resist leaving home or learning the force but gets pulled along to her destiny, and later she tries and fails to convert Kylo Ren, just like Luke tried to resist using extreme violence to get Han out of Jabba's palace or in his confrontation with Vader and the Emperor. Rey's force powers emerge as a result of her connection with Kylo Ren, a la the Exile and Kreia in KOTOR II, and I think the Episode 7/8 sword fights fit into that story-line perfectly. I really want to see how it plays out in IX.
Do you even flinch when you write such concentrated nonsense?

"Rey isn't a superhuman master"
But she almost converts a sith master, that luke wouldn't even dare try.
She immediately knows how to use force on other people without even knowing that it is a thing.
Going easy on her, lol the lies we tell ourselves. Going easy on her doesn't mean getting defeated and loosing the entire battle, was that part of the plan? Why didn't he stop going easy after he was getting his ass handed to him?

The fact of the matter is that Rey never got hurt in the entire two movies, which makes her seem invincible. And that makes for a terrible movie with no suspense were the hero is invincible.

Even superman needed to become the underdog for the movie to have meaning.

And the characters? We know literally nothing of them. Rey is rey, her past is completely blank. Kylo ren's character is what? He's han solo's son and likes to throw tantrums, and way too emotional.

That's how much I know or can say to their characters. Paper mache.

Last edited:

We may not have seen Yoda give Luke any lightsaber fighting lessons but I do not believe a one bit he did not give any of them. He may be focused on the force aspect of things but lightsaber is still the weapon of the Jedi that all of them carry, including Yoda himself when he was an active Jedi.

Has Ray traveling back in time and becoming Vader's mother and thus the Holy Mother of Skywalkers been confirmed?

I don't disagree with anything you've said. Just want to point out that Luke was a whiny little bitch in A New Hope also. I didn't notice it when I was a kid, but watching it now makes me cringe. I want to reach right through the screen and throttle the cunt at least 5 times during that film.
He didn't mind the sand, though.

Do you even flinch when you write such concentrated nonsense?

"Rey isn't a superhuman master"
But she almost converts a sith master, that luke wouldn't even dare try.
She immediately knows how to use force on other people without even knowing that it is a thing.
Going easy on her, lol the lies we tell ourselves. Going easy on her doesn't mean getting defeated and loosing the entire battle, was that part of the plan? Why didn't he stop going easy after he was getting his ass handed to him?

The fact of the matter is that Rey never got hurt in the entire two movies, which makes her seem invincible. And that makes for a terrible movie with no suspense were the hero is invincible.

Even superman needed to become the underdog for the movie to have meaning.

And the characters? We know literally nothing of them. Rey is rey, her past is completely blank. Kylo ren's character is what? He's han solo's son and likes to throw tantrums, and way too emotional.

That's how much I know or can say to their characters. Paper mache.

To me, Disney has been failing in the majority of movies lately with the basics, making the audience care about the characters. The vast majority of people don’t give a shit what happens to Rey, Fin, (or in MCU Captain Marvel).

My family watched Alita recently and even my kids said it far surpassed Captain Marvel... a big part of that is you cared about Alita and like you said, she was shown to be fallible.

My family watched Alita recently and even my kids said it far surpassed Captain Marvel... a big part of that is you cared about Alita and like you said, she was shown to be fallible.

I found Alita to be disappointing...great world building and special effects but the story was very vanilla...plus it was incomplete as they were obviously more concerned with setting up a sequel versus making a great standalone movie

I found Alita to be disappointing...great world building and special effects but the story was very vanilla...plus it was incomplete as they were obviously more concerned with setting up a sequel versus making a great standalone movie

But still way better than episode 8 and captain Marvel. ;)

Yeah, the problem is there might not actually be a sequel after the Disney acquisition....

Regardless, doesn’t change the point that the majority of people don’t connect with Disney’s recent movies, except for maybe my tween. Maybe that was the objective...

But still way better than episode 8 and captain Marvel. ;)

Yeah, the problem is there might not actually be a sequel after the Disney acquisition....

Regardless, doesn’t change the point that the majority of people don’t connect with Disney’s recent movies, except for maybe my tween. Maybe that was the objective...

I actually like Rey, Finn (hate Kylo)...the problem to me with the new SW trilogy is that they aren't really trying anything new...they're just copying the same story from the original trilogy and putting new characters in it...it's mostly about nostalgia versus creating something new...the SW universe is ripe with potential but most directors/writers are afraid of the unknown and want to stick with what worked (20 years ago)...that's why The Mandalorian has got me excited...it looks different...same way Rogue One was fantastic because it tried a new approach

The only applies if you solely look at the new SW trilogy and Cap Marvel. The connection problem does not exist for R1 or the rest of the heroes in the MCU. And, honestly, Carol could have connected better under different directors. Brie isn't a bad actress, but it seems like she was directed to be cold and emotionless for most of the movie. Her couple scenes in Endgame were miles better than anything in her solo movie and those were filmed first.

The Rise Of Skywalker | D23 Special Look

looks pretty impressive visually...the end shot of Ray with the red double-bladed lightsaber is obviously misdirection...trying to get people to think she turned to the Dark Side...no way would they give that away in a trailer...

Definitely lends more credibility to the grey Jedi theory, though.

The other theory I saw was that it's like the cave on Dagobah, where she's seeing a reflection of herself as a Sith or something.

Last edited:

looks pretty impressive visually...the end shot of Ray with the red double-bladed lightsaber is obviously misdirection...trying to get people to think she turned to the Dark Side...no way would they give that away in a trailer...

Well, shit. Now it says "nears its end". That means Disney is going to pump out more crap.

I still think the prequels are 3 of the worst theatrically released movies I've ever seen. Rogue One is still, by far, my favorite of the new movies. I liked Solo and though I had fun with the first of the sequels I think that was more because of the A/V nerd in me. The Last Jedi was atrocious, I couldn't stop rolling my eyes. It was just stupid piled on stupid dispersed by a few beautiful shots. I'll watch this new one because I'm a movie geek but I'm not at all excited about it. If I see it in theaters it'll only be because I'm with friends who want to see it.

Considering the shitstorm and mass exodus of fans after Ep 8, I think this is one of those rare times where spoilers in Trailers are NEEDED to win people back. So yeah, it could very well be true.

It's Disney, so maybe Luke will come out gay, and Rey is the first child born to two gay men and she saves the galaxy.

Um... So maybe Luke is gay... what the hell does that matter? One character in the series ever is gay and you can't handle it? Cry harder, young padawan, hahaha...

I would have liked for Rey to be Palpatine's granddaughter (great-granddaughter?)...I want to see the return of the Sith...these Knights of Ren are poor imitations and Kylo Ren is also too whimpy as the lead villain...

I know right, he acts like the emo kid that got picked on in high school. That scene where he gets mad and cuts up the control panel was very cringe worthy, basically throwing a temper tantrum.

Considering the shitstorm and mass exodus of fans after Ep 8, I think this is one of those rare times where spoilers in Trailers are NEEDED to win people back. So yeah, it could very well be true.

I suspect there's a lot of white, cis-het fanboys who feel betrayed that the savior of the universe isn't a white, cis-het male. On the other hand, the vast majority don't actually care that the diversity of the series isn't just aliens (or at least don't care so much they will not watch) and suddenly this inclusive universe is more appealing to a whole new audience (who doesn't care about whether or not the hero is a cis-het white male).

Disney wins, the other people win, the bigots lose. Oh, and no mass exodus.

Checkmate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back