Rise of Nations on Windows Store Will Have Cross-Play With Steam

monkeymagick

[H]News
Good news for Windows Store fans, Microsoft is bringing over Rise of the Nations: Extended Edition to the Windows Store with cross-play between players on Steam. A welcome addition as it's been a pain before when customers who bought the recent Call of Duty titles and were confined to only playing with a small pool of players. I believe this will be a first between the two platforms. The game will be released on Sept. 14th on the Windows Store for only $5 before increasing to $15.

When Rise of Nations: Extended Edition arrives on the Windows Store in September, it will pack the game's full lineup of 24 nations, allowing you to control one on its journey through 6,000 years of history. The expansion, Thrones and Patriots, will also be included. Xbox Live integration is here, including achievements and cloud saves, as well.

Why would ANYONE buy from the Windows Store? Especially when its available on Steam?

Why would ANYONE buy from the Windows Store? Especially when its available on Steam?

I've bought from the Windows Store. It's just like any other digital online store - Steam, Origin, Apple App Store, etc.. It's much better than Games for Windows, though. If it works, and it's stable, then I'm for it. I really don't care where I buy it.

I already have it on Steam, along with 95% of my games.

I've bought from the Windows Store. It's just like any other digital online store - Steam, Origin, Apple App Store, etc.. It's much better than Games for Windows, though. If it works, and it's stable, then I'm for it. I really don't care where I buy it.

It really isn't "just like any other digital online store". Steam/Origin/uPlay/whatever don't discriminate OS choice. They support Windows Vista, 7, 8.0, 8.1, 10, Linux, MacOS, whatever. Windows Store on the other hand only cares about Windows 10.

Windows Store also needlessly encrypts and obfuscates game files into the pointless UWP wrapper (DRM jail). Say goodbye to mods and helper utilities that require access to game files.

Windows Store = cancer. Buying from or even downloading anything from it is just feeding that cancer. Microsoft has done nothing but shit on PC gamers for 15+ years. First it was the "Xbox Xbox Xbox" corporate policy toward first party titles - and paying third parties to keep titles off of Windows, then it was GFWL hell. They've done nothing to rebuild trust with PC gamers, and their user-hostile policies in 10 - like forced updates and forced telemetry with no off switch - are not helping.

Last edited:
It really isn't "just like any other digital online store". Steam/Origin/uPlay/whatever don't discriminate OS choice. They support Windows Vista, 7, 8.0, 8.1, 10, Linux, MacOS, whatever. Windows Store on the other hand only cares about Windows 10.

Windows Store also needlessly encrypts and obfuscates game files into the pointless UWP wrapper (DRM jail). Say goodbye to mods and helper utilities that require access to game files.

Windows Store = cancer. Buying from or even downloading anything from it is just feeding that cancer. Microsoft has done nothing but shit on PC gamers for 15+ years. First it was the "Xbox Xbox Xbox" corporate policy toward first party titles - and paying third parties to keep titles off of Windows, then it was GFWL hell. They've done nothing to rebuild trust with PC gamers, and their user-hostile policies in 10 - like forced updates and forced telemetry with no off switch - are not helping.

100% agree. Windows Store needs to die in a fire.

The proliferation of these online stores is getting problematic, especially when every publisher seems to think they need their own. It's already happening on the TV and movies side of things, with everyone wanting their own walled garden and pulling their content behind it. The problem is, the value of these services is that they kept us from having to piece all the content together from disparate and incoherent sources, that with a bare handful of services we're able to consume most of the content we'd want. Cable TV would never have taken off if every channel required its own cable box and subscription fee, and that seems to be the current trend. Not to mention that these new services are shallow imitations of what's gone on before, and don't have the refined user interface and smart algorithms wrapping all the content we see. Having (nearly) all my games in one place on Steam has its own inherent value, and I have and will pay more to have a game neatly contained in my Steam library.

Wow, my late dad bought me RoN back in '04 or so as a BD present. Lost it somewhere, never got a chance to play it.

Or you could buy it on Steam and play it on Linux... or whatever other OS you want. Screw Windows 10.

Why is a 14 year old game in an app store nobody uses front page news?

Hiya. Why the angst? I was just opining about a game I had, but never played. I believe it was well rated. And the OS I was running at the time was XP. I like Win 10 just fine. I also like Linux a lot.

I very rarely go to any app stores. Why are you so up at arms about it? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but aren't there more deserving things to get pissed off about? Old games on useless App Store < El Trumptadio.

Sólo mis dos centavos.

Ok, I agree with that. I've been to the Windows Store maybe twice in the last year or so.

I have no issue whatsoever with buying a game from the Windows Store. It is cool to be able to buy Play Anywhere titles and play them on my PC and XBox One. Also, Bing rewards ends up working well to since you can get points and earn gift cards for the store. I have not problem with showing optimism for something that works, at least with the things I just mentioned. I just see no reason to bash or carry on about something that ultimately is not a life or death scenario.

Back