Rise and Fall of the [H] team

It's good to see everyone returning, and it's starting to feel like the way things were at the beginning of the last decade! (y)

well we are under more threats than I've ever seen, time for the old guard to come out of hiding and teach these new kids how us old folks can still bring it :p

I pledged to never deal with PG or the resident idiot 7im again after the bigadv fiasco. I moved to BOINC.

I use to fold for overclockers.com (team 32) back in the day. One of the best forums and was full of dedicated hardcore folders with huge farms.
It was bad enough that they ended -bigadv, but when one of the overclocker.com folders, adak, who had invested thousands of dollars in the project, reached out to PG for an explanation and he was basically told too bad deal with it.
Adak died shortly after from a heart attack .

I use to fold for overclockers.com (team 32) back in the day. One of the best forums and was full of dedicated hardcore folders with huge farms.
It was bad enough that they ended -bigadv, but when one of the overclocker.com folders, adak, who had invested thousands of dollars in the project, reached out to PG for an explanation and he was basically told too bad deal with it.
Damn, I'm sorry that happened to him. :eek:
Hopefully he can RIP, too, poor guy... :(

wow that's terrible... reminds me of why I left back in the day...

wow that's terrible... reminds me of why I left back in the day...

Yeah but now you're back in the top 20 (and I'm on your azz, for now :D)

top20.jpg

No work units on anything this AM. Hopefully they're just reloading.

With the big update earlier this morning I just barely clawed my way into the top 20. :D We'll see if it lasts, though, haha. My PPD has risen a bunch lately but I'd imagine many others will as well..

1586111042642.png

Yeah but now you're back in the top 20 (and I'm on your azz, for now :D)

what blows my mind is look at the number of WUs one of these guys with huge numbers of points has vs me... I've been doing this a while - back when WUs were like 19 points if you were lucky

I've always been a "soft" folder for [H] team. In general, It's a gooder idea to use my rig/rigs to throw heat into the house rather than just use something stupid like a space heater.

I think that BITD, there was a lot of online advice based on scores. I used to do a lot of infrastructure stuff, so thermal loading was always an interesting topic. For now, it's nice to see that there are some active fossils still typing. HardOCP was built on getting the most from your hardware in the most objective way outside of the box. For those that are willing to throw in cycles in this troubling time, it's a great way to heat your home and contribute your puny computer to the largest distributed computer safely.

In any case, take care y'all and stay home. Get a kill-a-watt if you want to pull a plug measurement and have fun.

All I know is that instead of paying for heating, I'll exercise my right and throw the cycles to team 33.

8)

Hah, yeah it certainly heats my house, but heating my house with gas is soooo much cheaper, haha. Not sure I will be able to fold full time at home during the summer at this place -- I don't think the A/C unit will be able to handle it. At my old house I had a swamp cooler and it didn't matter how much heat your computers made because it just blew it all out the window. Well, we'll figure that out later.

Reactions: wurmy
like this
what blows my mind is look at the number of WUs one of these guys with huge numbers of points has vs me... I've been doing this a while - back when WUs were like 19 points if you were lucky

Yeah that was one of the things that bugged me when they changed the point system, and I (back then) would point out the number of units done vs points. But it is the way of the system now. :)

Looks like I dropped back out of the top 20 this morning after having to turn machines off while at work. Oh well will just have to Fold when I can.

I used to fold for the [H] way back in College (2002? Dual P3 733 on a Tyan Tiger OC'd to 1Ghz) when electricity was free in the dorms, and then let it drop after I moved to an apartment and had to pay for my own juice. On and off in the intermediate years, I've run Seti@Home for heat in my bedroom, but I came back to folding for Covid based on an Anandtech vs Tom's race and I joined AT. Now I'm really feeling the pull for the old [H] days and might have to consider switching teams.

Had to take a peek at the forums after watching Linus' video. Lots of feels in here. Might have to jump back in considering the state of things these days.

Had to take a peek at the forums after watching Linus' video. Lots of feels in here. Might have to jump back in considering the state of things these days.

same! Hadn't folded in a couple years, but loaded up 6 clients yesterday, unfortunately half of them are just idling now. Looks like there is more power available atm than there is demand.

hmmm I might do that, I have a Laptop with a Core i7 7700HQ and a another tower with a Core i5 4430 I could get up and running as well.

Awesome...the BOINC community has its largest DC competition for the year coming up next month. I'm sure Rosetta will more than likely make the cut in the Pentathlon. Won't know for sure until closer to that time but would be glad to have you help with any of the projects you choose.

Looks like DelTacoRay has started the boilers back up and it shoveling some serious coal into the furnaces. :eek: He's coming up on me [H]ard !

I quit Folding because I felt VJ never really cared about us as people and our contributions. Rather we were just a means to his end.

Some serious cranking going on ATM. One needs an average of 1 million just to show in the team's top 20. (y)

top20_0420_27.jpg

Wow! I'm truly out of the loop with the F@H news... VJ leaving and 7im dead ?? They are basically the reason I got fed up with the project.

But with COVID-19 around, I believe I should contribute my meager computing power toward discoveries against that damn coronavirus so I fired up some clients.

Wow! I'm truly out of the loop with the F@H news... VJ leaving and 7im dead ?? They are basically the reason I got fed up with the project.

But with COVID-19 around, I believe I should contribute my meager computing power toward discoveries against that damn coronavirus so I fired up some clients.
Or you can also run CPU only COVID project in Rosetta and help [H] team in the BOINC penthathlon;)

We are here to help get you setup in whichever projects you choose. Glad to have you on board. :)

/flex
When the opportunity was available, I made sure to take advantage of it.

It's neat to read about the history of the team as I never got seriously into it until more recently due to the COVID junk. What's up about the bigadv stuff? I'm familiar with what it is but I don't think it's discontinued. Never had to worry about it until recently.

Last edited:
Back