ripping blu-ray to harddrive... any quality issues?

AP2

[H]ard|Gawd
so, ive been thinking about purchasing a bluray player for my htpc. if i backup my bluray copies to a network area storage/server will the playback be the same as the original copy?

thanks

If you use AnyHDDVD, you can straight rip to the HDD from the program, but you have to play back with PowerDVD 7. Then you can convert it to another format (WMVHD) if you want. If you straight rip, it will take a s$#load of space, ~25GB to 40GB of space each.

I have a problem playing back a HDDVD rip from a network location, but not from the local pc.

Also the latest versions in PowerDVD will not allow you to play back HD-DVD or Blu-ray content from a hard drive. So you will need to use the rip to HD option with AnyDVD HD then create an ISO from the folder.

ok sounds good. so the quality will be the exact same as the original disc?

If you do a rip then your copy will be completely identical in terms of quality.

If you decide to re-encode the movie to save space then you will lose quality, depending on the codec/codec options/bitrate you supply. Ive encoded a few of my hddvds to 10GB and downsized to 720p, it can take 24hrs + to do the encode but the quality difference whilst watching the video is almost like watching the HDDVD, of course if i were to encode at 1080p i would require more bitrate to try and make it as transparent as possible.

When making the ISO from the ripped AnyDVD folder, anything special have to be done to get PowerDVD to recognize it?

TYIA

I got a question for you guys. If I rip the Blu-Ray movie to a computer and mount it as an ISO, would the special features work? What about BR-Live? What about those AACS keys that the Blu-Ray organization can revoke? Wouldn't that cause the ISO to fail to work?

- AnyDVD HD removes the encryption garbage, so there's no need to deal with it.
- Special features, menus, audio tracks, etc will work.
- I haven't tested BR-Live myself. I don't see why it wouldn't work though. (as long as you are using a version of PowerDVD that supports it)
- You have to make a UDF 2.5/2.6 ISO for HD DVD and Blu-ray movie rips. It can be done in IMGBURN.

More like ArcSoft causing hard restarts on your computer in the middle of a movie. lol.. no thanks.

PowerDVD 7.3 3319a + MyMovies + VMC = gg

Friend has it and doesnt have that problem, Imma try it prob soon and see how it is

More like ArcSoft causing hard restarts on your computer in the middle of a movie. lol.. no thanks.

PowerDVD 7.3 3319a + MyMovies + VMC = gg

Not true. I have 4 Vista MC media center machines running, and Arcsoft runs great on all of them. There are many others with similar experiences. I would guess that the cases you know of or experienced leading to such a statement are isolated in some way.

I can confirm that Arcsoft TotalMedia works great. I've never once had it crash my computer.

Well, I have the crashing problem confirmed by well over a dozen people on a private community, so it certainly exists.

Well, I have the crashing problem confirmed by well over a dozen people on a private community, so it certainly exists.

I wonder if there is some other common component besides Arcsoft software that together cause the problem. I suppose it is one of those situations where if you are not affected, the software is golden for you, but if you are affected, you really don't like it!

Take a walk over to some HD enthusiast communities and you'll see the complaints. :p Threads about the problems that ArcSoft has go on for over 50 pages.

i use anydvd-hd to rip the disc. i use the oem version of powerdvd that came with my lg drive. works great and i can view movies from folders or whatever else i want.

anydvdhd to let me read the disk, imgburn to make an ISO...

virtualclonedrive to mount the ISO and playback in PowerDVD BR edition

anydvdhd to let me read the disk, imgburn to make an ISO...

virtualclonedrive to mount the ISO and playback in PowerDVD BR edition

I do about the same, AnyDVD HD to make the ISO and use virtual clone drive to mount them with PowerDVD BR edition as my playback. Why do you use imgburn to creak the IOS and not AnyDVD HD?

I do about the same, AnyDVD HD to make the ISO and use virtual clone drive to mount them with PowerDVD BR edition as my playback. Why do you use imgburn to creak the IOS and not AnyDVD HD?

i dont know, habit i guess? :confused:

plus imgburn gives me a lot of info in the console about what its doing... which is nice for detecting if anydvd is angry due to a new BD+ or something

i dont know, habit i guess? :confused:

plus imgburn gives me a lot of info in the console about what its doing... which is nice for detecting if anydvd is angry due to a new BD+ or something

Good point, might try that out, what are your standard settings for ImgBurn then, if I may ask?

Back