Ripping and playing blue-ray via PS3 questions

excellsior

Limp Gawd
Hello there, before I begin I'd like to thank you for taking a look at this thread. I have done some google searches but I still don't fully understand the process as electronics isn't my thing. If anyone has knowledge on this subject I would appreciate the help. I have a PS3 and was wondering if it is possible to use the PS3 to rip my blue-ray movies onto an external HD hooked up to the PS3 and then play them back.

From my understanding there are a few ways I can do this.

1. I can buy a blue-ray burner for my PC and use AnyDVD to rip and convert the file so that I can stream or put it on a HD to play on the PS3.

2. Another way is to run linux from the PS3. Is another program used to rip blue-ray needed after or is there something built in linux?
Will I need to convert that ripped ISO into a format that the PS3 can read and will the PS3 play it through the factory interface or through a media program on linux?

If I sound very confused I am. If PS3 can play movies that I ripped and copied to an external HD connected to it I would be happy as I won't have to deal with streaming from the PC. Please let me know how this is possible. Thank you for your time.

i don't know jack about linux, but you don't need a blu ray burner you can just buy a blu ray reader for your pc, such as the LG Multi drive. yes you can rip the blu ray disk to your hard then using anydvd-hd but to play them on your PS3 you would have to convert the rip to a MP4 file using ripbot or other method to play on your PS3, i am not sure if the PS3 could play streamed ripped blu ray movie in iso or file structure form.

if you search this forum you find more info on ripping and converting, as well avsforums.com

Linux on the PS3 doesn't use the GFX chip and chokes on even DVDs because of it; no hardware acceleration.

You might want to check this out: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1382291

Why did you link to this thread? :confused:

Anyway of course you can't rip a movie from a PS3. :rolleyes:

You can buy a blu ray drive for your PC. Rip blu rays to MKV on the PS3. Use a program like PS3 Media Server (google it) to stream the MKV's or any file to the PS3. I do it and love it. I don't rip the blu rays though. It's not worth my time to rip and re-encode a blu ray over the course of 6 hours when I can download the MKV after someone else did all the work.

I linked it because the guy wants to rip blu rays and play them on his PS3. What the hell makes you think that thread is about something so stupid as directly ripping them to the PS3?! Of course you can't rip movies to the PS3 using it's Blu ray drive, thats completely idiotic. The guy in that thread is asking about ripping them on the PC and moving them over to the PS3's HDD and trying to play them from there.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Next time how about you, you know, read the link or something and have at least a tiny bit of informed opinion.

Also, you pretty much just said exactly what I did in that thread as well as what pretty much everyone else has said too.
Why did you link to this thread? :confused:

Anyway of course you can't rip a movie from a PS3. :rolleyes:

You can buy a blu ray drive for your PC. Rip blu rays to MKV on the PS3. Use a program like PS3 Media Server (google it) to stream the MKV's or any file to the PS3. I do it and love it. I don't rip the blu rays though. It's not worth my time to rip and re-encode a blu ray over the course of 6 hours when I can download the MKV after someone else did all the work.

Back