Ripped off on Black Friday

erek

[H]F Junkie
Adata Shipped Black-Friday Shoppers a Slower-Model SSD Than They Ordered

"Besides just wanting exactly the model they paid for, there's a good reason that customers would prefer an XPG SX8200 Pro over the SX8100. The top pick on our best SSDs page, the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro uses an SMI SM2262EN controller that has a 1GB DRAM cache as opposed to the Realtek RTS5762 which has a "partial DRAM" cache of an unspecified amount.

The XPG SX8200 Pro has a rated sequential read/write rate of 3,500 and 3,000 MBps respectively with random read and write IOPS of 390,000 and 380,000 IOPS. By contrast, the XPG SX8100 has the same rated read and write rates, but read/write IOPS of 290,000 / 240,000.

Except that the latter has a heat spreader, the XPG SX8100 is nearly-identical to the XPG Spectrix s40G, which we are in the process of reviewing. On most tests, the XPG SX8200 Pro scored better."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-ships-sx8100-instead-of-sx8200

I think I’d just file a credit card dispute saying I didn’t receive what I ordered. Might even get to keep the SSD they shipped, credit card company will have to side with you for not receiving what you ordered

This would teach them a lesson. Of course, the publicity alone has likely made someone come down pretty hard on whoever made the decision to bate & switch in this manner!

Rakuten lied to me saying they couldn’t cancel an order I placed on Black Friday because it drop ships from Intel, yet it arrived and had a Rakuten distribution center address and postal code... when I asked them about it they tried to play it off and say I just have gotten some extra stock. I cancelled my order 3 minutes after placing it mind you lol...

Idk, I wouldn't freak out too hard. They will gladly give you a full refund and even exchange it for an 8200 once they're back in stock.

As for Rakuten, only have 2 experiences so far. 1 up, 1 down. Got a x570 Taichi board for $240, everything went fine. Wife ordered a FX camera lens and got a DX instead. Took the company a week to give her the correct return label. Idk how willing i'd be to try them again.

I've seen tons of Rakuten ads with Curry. As if I needed another reason not to buy from them lmao.
Rakuten was already well-known for CC fraud in the past - it's not something I forget.

I think I’d just file a credit card dispute saying I didn’t receive what I ordered. Might even get to keep the SSD they shipped, credit card company will have to side with you for not receiving what you ordered
Aw yes
The "I got ripped off so I'll just rip off somebody else" line of thinking.
Well played.:facepalm:

Aw yes

yea, because it's only the Big Dogs on the block that can deceive people ("clever marketing", false specs posted (970 memory spec comes to mind), Intel's higher priced X series CPU's that overheated when OC'ed due to lack of proper TIM, etc)

There will always be some companies and Consumers who play the deception game but it seems it became the norm some years ago for quite a few (companies not honoring warranties, customers hosing a GPU card then claiming "it just stopped working", etc) ... vicious cycle, isn't it :barefoot:

So whether a Company or a Consumer, each of us make personal choices so choose wisely

Last edited:
Aw yes

Screw Adata for ripping off their customers.

I have never acted like that when selling things, not one time.

If "big business" screwed me like this I wouldn't take it lying down. Why should Adata stick people with an errand returning something they didn't order? Legally if someone mails you something you didn't order you can keep it as a "free gift". In this case screw Adata, this wasn't an honest mistake but an attempt to screw over customers.

If you think companies should do this then pay me $500 for a 3900x and I'll mail you a 3700x.

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO!

This is why I refuse to shop on Black Friday anymore. They make think you're getting a deal, when its most old inventory they couldn't sell throughout the year. I've even heard some retailers intentionally mark products up just to cut a percentage off to make you think you're getting a deal.

Bah humbug!

i don't think Kingston ever shook off the bait and switch moniker for the sleezy ssdnow v300 bullshit.

good luck adata.

LMAO!

This is why I refuse to shop on Black Friday anymore. They make think you're getting a deal, when its most old inventory they couldn't sell throughout the year. I've even heard some retailers intentionally mark products up just to cut a percentage off to make you think you're getting a deal.

Bah humbug!

Use this. Yes, it's legit.

Camelcamelcamel.com

LMAO!

Bah humbug!

Most B&M corporate stores do this like no one's business. When I use work as a store manager for a number of the big name stores, new price labels would come almost weekly (some times daily) with the same out-the-door price, but changes to the listed MSRP so they could wear badges for having "the best savings".

Rakuten sucks. Worse than Newegg.

I absolutely despise newegg.

You pay for next day air express

They wait 4 f'ing business days to process your order. Sure you get next day air the day after they get around to shipping it

I ordered an I5-2500k from them years ago. Paid for 2nd day UPS air. I got the CPU 2 weeks later. Oh it was 2nd day air after it took them 12 business days to actually hand it to UPS.

I absolutely despise newegg.

You pay for next day air express

They wait 4 f'ing business days to process your order. Sure you get next day air the day after they get around to shipping it

I ordered an I5-2500k from them years ago. Paid for 2nd day UPS air. I got the CPU 2 weeks later. Oh it was 2nd day air after it took them 12 business days to actually hand it to UPS.
Idk I justed uesed the egg to get my tr parts I. Did over night Friday was supposed to be delivered Monday showed up yesterday when I was out of town...so idk? I do hate the dam market thing and how you can't just search for stuff form the egg

RakutenAll I needed to know

^^ THIS ^^

"Houston, we have a problem"

After 2 bad experiences with them last year, I swore to never, ever, ever to buy anything from them again....period

They jerked me around so bad that I not only filed credit card disputes but also complaints with the BBB, my state AG & consumer protection agency, and had my lawyer send them an extremely strong-worded letter demanding that they correct the issues or face the consequences...which resulted in me getting full refunds, being able to keep the incorrect items & getting the correct products via overnight shipping, as well as reimbursement of my legal fees and numerous apology letters/emails......

I've always maintained that there are 3 things of mine that you dare not mess with, unless you just enjoy massive amounts of pain, suffering & agony:

1. My family...
2. My money...
3. My food...

And as a side note, for many years now I have been, and continue to, order stuff from da 'egg...neveranottaproblemo.... always fast, well priced, and zero sketchy crap bait & switch or other issues either :D..:p..:LOL:

I've never understood the business model. Nobody wants the 8100 series, that much is clear. Why leave it in the retail channel? Why build so many when all that time/money/production could go into SX8200 Pros, ya know, the drive people actually want. Leave the 8100 behind, pimp it onto the OEMs for people who don't care.

Back