RIP Newegg, you weren't good lately anyway

Looks like they closed up the Newegg flash site, seems integrated now as today's deals or some ish.

The REAL question here is....

How long will it be before they replace all or most of NE's genuine, name-brand products with cheap, chino-made garbage knock-offs, loaded with spyware/bloatware, ship them to you, and then refuse to allow returns or refunds when you try to RMA them because they don't work OOB or fail shortly after you get your order.....

If they think the trade war sucks in it's current state, they're really gonna love it when ALL their goods are banned from the US because of this crap

PS. For the 6 client rigs I built this summer, about 1/2 of the parts came from da 'Egg, the rest from da 'Zon, simply based on price and shipping times. I have memberships at both, and all of the stuff arrived within the promised 1-2 days nottaproblemo.... I only had to return 1 small item, and they shipped me a replacement item overnight with a prepaid return box too.

however, I do live fairly close to both their local/regional distribution centers though, just sayin :).....

Things might be different next time around though, we'll see.

So with the tax hit coming to TX in a few days I hop on NE chat to see what tax rate they are going to be charging. What do I get? You will have to check the site on 10-1 to find out. Seriously? They can't pull information on what tax rate they are going to be charging when it's almost here? I'm wondering if it's the tax rate for the state the item is being purchased from or if it's CA tax that is going to be imposed on out of state orders. It's not that difficult. And if it's the state the order is being placed from is it a single statewide rate or is it by zip for where the order is actually be placed from. IE I pay 8% while most of the state is 8.25% I believe. Rocket science I tell you.

Anyone able to chime in on the earlier 2019 round of newly imposed tax states? Meaning what rate were you charged for your orders?

So with the tax hit coming to TX in a few days I hop on NE chat to see what tax rate they are going to be charging. What do I get? You will have to check the site on 10-1 to find out. Seriously? They can't pull information on what tax rate they are going to be charging when it's almost here? I'm wondering if it's the tax rate for the state the item is being purchased from or if it's CA tax that is going to be imposed on out of state orders. It's not that difficult. And if it's the state the order is being placed from is it a single statewide rate or is it by zip for where the order is actually be placed from. IE I pay 8% while most of the state is 8.25% I believe. Rocket science I tell you.

Anyone able to chime in on the earlier 2019 round of newly imposed tax states? Meaning what rate were you charged for your orders?

It's quite simple. It's the exact same sales tax rate you would pay if you went to a store located on the exact same site of your residence. Assuming you have the items shipped to your residence. The delivery address will determine the tax rate.

Ordered an RTX 2060 for my dad last week - $319 shipped and included Modern Warfare. Might be the last time I ever order something from the Egg.

It's quite simple. It's the exact same sales tax rate you would pay if you went to a store located on the exact same site of your residence. Assuming you have the items shipped to your residence. The delivery address will determine the tax rate.
Actually incorrect. I did some checking and it's strictly state tax not including the up to 2% additional each city can add to the state sales tax rate which is 6.25% for TX.

Google state sales tax. Like alexa could probably find it for you.

Egg is dead to me. I placed all of my orders right before the Oct 1st deadline. You can add eBay to that as well.

No point to order from them when there customer service and policies are total dog crap.

Egg is dead to me. I placed all of my orders right before the Oct 1st deadline. You can add eBay to that as well.

No point to order from them when there customer service and policies are total dog crap.

Ebay has very good (for the buyer) coverage. Not too sure how bad newegg is these days but it is probably average. Amazon took a huge decline and they're nowhere near as good as they were back in 2010-2012. Factor in the super slow shipping and your best bet is to find the store with the best price.

B&H seemed decent and the free 3 day shipping is great which does put them ahead of the rest, but their customer service is hit or miss as well. Especially when they run a Black Friday day sale, and then decide they will shut down all orders for the entire day due to a Jewish holiday. Assuming you can get the checkout to work I'll still default to B&H due to the quick shipping. Amazon ties with newegg, maybe edges it out slightly in terms of CS but generally have worse prices and slower shipping.

Crazy how things have changed. Back in the day I wouldn't even consider buying computer parts from anywhere else, but now I'm all about Amazon and Micro Center.

Newegg used to have amazing customer service in its heyday, that was the main reason I shopped there. Went downhill fast after they got bought by that Chinese corp though.

Google state sales tax. Like alexa could probably find it for you.

You would think so but when I dig into it.. online retailers are using various databases for this and some are just wrong. I tried to fight it a couple of times to no avail. Sometimes I'm charged 3-4% higher than they are supposed to collect.

I fought this on a Fanatics order and they're using a tax rate from a city like 40 miles away.. it's nuts. They are starting to force this but the infrastructure for it is dodgy as hell. A rep for one company acted like I was an idiot because it was only a few dollars but it's a few dollars on modest orders every time I use them.

Well I have seen most of the deals for DDR4 RAM on Newegg. They have lowest comparative prices than Amazon and other online stores.

Crazy how things have changed. Back in the day I wouldn't even consider buying computer parts from anywhere else, but now I'm all about Amazon and Micro Center.
Not me. I use to shop all over the place to buy parts (though this was for me or my family, not for a business). I bought stuff from Microcenter - i think I got my Celeron 300 from them. I bought stuff from Monarch, Cardinal, New Egg...maybe even Buy.com (I know I bought a monitor from them in 98). I've always shopped around. That said, one good thing about Newegg vs Amazon is that Newegg price matches and Amazon does not.

These days, I buy a fair amount on Amazon, but I always look on Newegg too.

Exactly the same here. I still remember a few years ago I ordered 2 case drive accessories and needed to return. Even after explaining to customer service that items are not opened and still shrink wrapped they still charged me 15% restocking fee (maybe less, don't remember). And that was it. Add here tax in NJ, shipping often not free and slow.

You would think so but when I dig into it.. online retailers are using various databases for this and some are just wrong. I tried to fight it a couple of times to no avail. Sometimes I'm charged 3-4% higher than they are supposed to collect.

I fought this on a Fanatics order and they're using a tax rate from a city like 40 miles away.. it's nuts. They are starting to force this but the infrastructure for it is dodgy as hell. A rep for one company acted like I was an idiot because it was only a few dollars but it's a few dollars on modest orders every time I use them.
If you've not been charged the correct tax, the taxing authority they're remitting the tax to owes you a refund since most tax authorities also assess use tax. So it's like you overpaid use tax and would be due a refund, usually with interest. Of course, there is the paperwork to go through for this, which might even be messier than the taxing mess the merchants are dealing with.

It's good to see that tax is starting to level the playing field between online and traditional stores. I always saw the online guys as 'cheating' since tax adds up substantially on larger priced items. No tax=quick savings. Of course, this won't stop the savings from just different tax districts--like how the Ikea in Oak Creek, WI is 5% less than the Chicago stores just because the tax is less. :D When you're going to IKEA, this usually adds up, lol!

Wow their Black Friday prices on CPUs still aren't as good as Microcenter's regular prices (2700 and 2700x for example).

Newegg used to have amazing customer service in its heyday, that was the main reason I shopped there. Went downhill fast after they got bought by that Chinese corp though.

I had no idea they were bought out - that makes a lot of sense in retrospect. I'm guessing this happened somewhere between 2014-16... That was when I started defecting to Microcenter because their service was going downhill. Anymore, their prices are competitive at best, shipping has gone way downhill, they opened up to terrible 3rd party sellers, started selling random non-tech goods.

The only saving grace for newegg this past year has been the rare moments when I need a weird cable or fitting that is not in stock at microcenter, only sold via shady 3rd party seller on Amazon or ebay, and/or is too expensive through a specialty shop like PPCS. In other words, the niche they fill is getting awfully small.

In a lot of ways newegg seems to be following tigerdirect's path toward oblivion, just staggered by a few years. I guess now that they've entered the "poor service and noncompetitive pricing" phase all that is left is the eventual closure, buy-out, and reemergence as a dull B2B vendor :p

microcenter

not everyone in the USA has walk-in access to a MicroCenter and it doesn't take long to realize that the 'deals' are almost always (if not always) walk-in's only.

Newegg used to have great "specials" they would post at random so if you kept an eye on let's say a certain GPU card you just might get to buy it at a very reduced price. But that was years ago ...

Maybe I'm wrong and someone could confirm or infirm but I think NE is doing the shady fake sale tactic for Black Friday.
I'm making a new rig so I've made a spreadsheet and I started putting pricing on it about 2-3 weeks ago (mostly from NE)

For example:
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W previous price $100, BF price 109 after MIR

Maybe I got this wrong but I didn't know NE got bought out. This could explain a lot.

not everyone in the USA has walk-in access to a MicroCenter and it doesn't take long to realize that the 'deals' are almost always (if not always) walk-in's only.

Newegg used to have great "specials" they would post at random so if you kept an eye on let's say a certain GPU card you just might get to buy it at a very reduced price. But that was years ago ...

The best deals I've gotten from NE are when there's a MIR that's about to expire and they post a new post rebate sale price a few hours early, so you get the reduced price and the rebate. Other than that, it's hit and miss. Their "sales" are often worse than their random daily pricing depending on the item like Drakul said above.

Maybe I'm wrong and someone could confirm or infirm but I think NE is doing the shady fake sale tactic for Black Friday.
I'm making a new rig so I've made a spreadsheet and I started putting pricing on it about 2-3 weeks ago (mostly from NE)

For example:
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W previous price $100, BF price 109 after MIR

Maybe I got this wrong but I didn't know NE got bought out. This could explain a lot.

wait it's 100 dollars now? wow just looked at the 750w version too.. wtf those prices.. i paid 79.99 for my 650 2 years ago and 89.99 for my 750 last november. but yeah i do the same thing when i plan out a built, always go back and forth between amazon and newegg.. i hate every single person that has access to a microcenter. :(

With NE it's not unusual to see let's say $299.99 with a line through it and a posted price that the item was already listed at for months and and longer and they call that a BF Special :(

I'm just basically repeating what Drakul said

Chinese doing shady fake sales in the name of NE? Say it isn't so...expected!

All stores do it.
Definitely not all unless you're only shopping at the shady places.

Best buy definitely doesn't mess around with their pricing in terms of what's a sale price and what is regular. I think that's one of the reasons when bb puts something on sale and it is a genuinely good deal, they sell a lot of it.

Definitely not all unless you're only shopping at the shady places.

Best buy definitely doesn't mess around with their pricing in terms of what's a sale price and what is regular. I think that's one of the reasons when bb puts something on sale and it is a genuinely good deal, they sell a lot of it.
Amazon does it frequently for example... It's common. Check three camel and marvel at price histories :).

Back