RIP 980 Ti Gaming6

MorgothPl

2[H]4U
Was playing Battlefront, when suddenly PC shutdown. I thought it's some issues with new PSU or something else, so I just press power button. Nothing, not even fans start, but led blinks on mobo, so it's powered. Switching off everything, waiting 60 seconds, nothing.

Okay, that's more serious... I open the case, and smell the melted plastic. I remove RAM - aint burned down. Put it in, remove GPU, press power button, PC wakes up. I put the MSI again in, nothing. Swap it for my old 290X, PC wakes up without issue.

I start surveying for damage, and yep... the smell of burned plastic is at the end of the card, so I guess VRMs went down. Fun fact - card was not even OCed hard, mild 1367 via MSI App.

Will call the shop tomorrow to see, how long the warranty checkup will last and when I can get new card.

It's the first video card in my whole career that went bonkers.

Sorry to hear that MorgothPI. Well on the bright side at least you have an up to date card to fall back on for unexpected hardware failures. I'm interested in how MSI takes care of you in the end. Always nice to know which company has great customer service or not.

Ow. That sucks.

May your warranty experience be fast and pain-free.

I'll put on Enya and dedicate a song for it.

This is a sad day.

RIP

Surely you are lying. Nvidia cards never experience failure.

But seriously, thats some bum luck. MSI is not the worst for warranties, so hopefully you will have a swift recovery.

post some pictures of the damage...kinda curious what burned up

post some pictures of the damage...kinda curious what burned up

There is no visible sign of damage, only the smell of burned plastic. Would probably have to remove cooling and backplate to see what's wrong, but can't do it because of "warranty void if removed" sticker.

Calling the shop tomorrow to see if they or the MSI will take care of the things.

It happens. My GTX 280 back in the day fried the VRMs. Hopefully your warranty exchange is pleasant. MSI is a good company and should make things right.

RIP indeed. Pictures are required for maximum entertainment.

Good luck on your RMA. Tell us how it goes. This is one of the reasons I stay away from ASUS like it's the plague...

Last edited:
Well he said MSI so it should be easy. Their is a MSI Rep on [H] , forgot his name but maybe someone knows him. He got my RMA done in less then 2 weeks. Was fun and also he upgraded me from at the time 570GTX to 670GTX.

maybe you could post some pictures of things that smell like a fried video card...a burned drinking straw?

Did you register for your warranty? Hope so!

Didn't change bios or voltage. Case was well ventilated too, and the temps on card, at least from Afterburner readings were normal too.

Also, in here we don't have to register any warranties. All I need is to deliver the card to store, with proof of purchase and they take care of everything.

Crap that's the same card I have. I hope this is an isolated issue. My card hovers around 70C on load.

This is the same card I have too. I've been gaming pretty much nonstop since I got it back in July, so I hope there won't be any issues for me. So far it's been great, so I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

5tx7k4.jpg

The part of the card that smells with burned plastic most is in this part of the card.

There is no visible sign of damage, only the smell of burned plastic. Would probably have to remove cooling and backplate to see what's wrong, but can't do it because of "warranty void if removed" sticker.

Calling the shop tomorrow to see if they or the MSI will take care of the things.

MSI really does not look at that sticker. I had my R9 290X start making ridiculous coil whine noises when it was water cooled (loudest thing in the case). RMAed it, and got 390X back.

Their policy is, as long as there is no physical damage and the card arrives with the original cooler attached.

Maybe it's just the picture, but I see what looks like a nick on the cooler. It's just a little to the left of the center of the picture. It's also kind of above that area...

MSI really does not look at that sticker. I had my R9 290X start making ridiculous coil whine noises when it was water cooled (loudest thing in the case). RMAed it, and got 390X back.

Their policy is, as long as there is no physical damage and the card arrives with the original cooler attached.

In US we can do pretty much do whatever we want, as long as the card is in the original condition on return.

In EU and South America, those guys are sticklers about void stickers.....if it's broken, so are you.

Most likely you blew a capacitor. You would see burn marks on the backside if you could remove the backplate.

Maybe it's just the picture, but I see what looks like a nick on the cooler. It's just a little to the left of the center of the picture. It's also kind of above that area...

I see it too.

My guess is either a blown cap or VRM mosfet.

Brought the card to the store, I bought it in - MSI only grants door to door for AIOs and laptops here. They made a lot of pictures of the card - as I was told, in case there is transportation damage, tech support won't blame me, as there is a proof that card was undamaged (and that's big kudos to the store for taking care of any RMA issues) - if there will be transport damage, I'll get new card from store, and they will get insurance money from logistic company. And yes, they introduced the procedure, because some of the companies was pulling that stunt. Shopkeeper told me that the store chain had then to give new device to clients, because it wasn't their fault, that thing was damaged.

Was told, that the process should take no more than two weeks, and I'll probably get new card in a week, as no one would be repairing that kind of damage. Also I'm getting text and email of any new stage of RMA process.

Also with MSI it should be faster, than RMA with other brands, as they have service centre in Poland, so card won't be sent abroad ( like with Evga, when it would be sent to Germany)

I'm still curious.. what is that nick on your cooler from? It looks like it goes slightly inwards at the top, so it's not possible that it was caused by something flying upwards from the board. I really didn't know that EVGA even had abroad centers though. For some reason, I thought they were an American only brand. Not sure who put that thought in my head.

got mine from the New Egg at release and have had no problems presented but with no OC usage
all games run 1600p smooth maxed(Hit man Absolution,Assassin Creed 4,Deep space 3,Need for Speed Rivals,COD Ghost,Dishonored,)
I just started Fallout New Vegas for a first play ever and have noticed shimmering textures inside a few buildings like back in my 1900xtx days playing GTA San Andreas.I figure driver issues
been a jewel for me so far

Back