Riot Games to start recording Valorant voice chats starting July 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3athf1sh

[H]ard|Gawd
Riot Games will start recording and "temporarily" storing voice chats starting July 13. Supposedly for now it won't be used to assess behavior but to train language models. 🤔 But there are future plans on expansion of the tool for use in banning toxic players. For now completely disabling voice chat will turn monitoring off, but Riot is owned by Chinese company Ten Cent so i guess if you choose to trust what they're saying is on you.

Personally i don't play Valorant so it doesn't effect me but i wouldn't be happy about it if I did. Could china be using it to assess the behavior of it's citizens for use in their social credit system? I don't know seems creepy to me.

https://www.techspot.com/news/95085-riot-games-start-recording-valorant-player-voice-chats.html

so are the videos on youtube. doesn't mean they get to record me while i'm watching. but i guess you'd be cool with that too?

How are the videos on YouTube free? I pay for them with my time spent watching ads. My time isnt free, is yours? If I want to get rid of the ads, then I have to pay in another form.

How are the videos on YouTube free? I pay for them with my time spent watching ads. My time isnt free, is yours? If I want to get rid of the ads, then I have to pay in another form.
i didn't ask how are they free. besides.. ad block [H] (or does daddy apple not let you use them?) can't remember the last time i've seen an ad on youtube. how about all the other "free games" that don't spy on you? how did valorant make it this long? again, youtube doesn't record your conversations you have in your own home while you're watching them.

how do you guys stick up for companies spying on people? i don't get it. dispicable, disgusting, predatory and communist behaviour. and the people that support it aren't any better.

i guess when you see so many communist supporters now marching down our streets some are bound to end up here.

Last edited:
i didn't ask how are they free. besides.. ad block [H], can't remember the last time i've seen an ad on youtube. how about all the other "free games" that don't spy on you? how did valorant make it this long? again, youtube doesn't record your conversations you have in your own home while you're watching them.

how do you guys stick up for companies spying on people? i don't get it. dispicable, disgusting, predatory and communist behaviour. and the people that support it aren't any better.

i guess when you see so many communist supporters now marching down our streets some are bound to end up here.

I mean, if you have a microphone attached to the device you can pretty much assume you're being recorded no matter what you do. All you need to see is The Zuck with his laptop cam taped over and a cut off headphone jack stuck in the port and you know whats up.

RANCH.png

I mean, if you have a microphone attached to the device you can pretty much assume you're being recorded no matter what you do.

you know what they say happens when you assume, right?

besides i'm [H], i don't use face book or echos or any other voice prompt garbage and don't agree to terms that allow programs to legally spy on me. i'm smarter than that and know how to use a computer. but hey if you like being recorded in your own home, be my guest. don't let me stop you, i'm just letting people know what the ccp intends to do to players of valorant.

besides i'm [H], i don't use face book or echos or any other voice prompt garbage and don't agree to terms that allow programs to legally spy on me. i'm smarter than that and know how to use a computer. but hey if you like being recorded in your own home, be my guest. don't let me stop you, i'm just letting people know what the ccp intends to do to players of valorant.

My man, I am not disagreeing with you. I also do my best to keep myself secure, but its really hard with how pervasive big data is.

so are the videos on youtube. doesn't mean they get to record me while i'm watching. but i guess you'd be cool with that too?

If it means that I don't have to watch ads in exchange, sure why not? It's not like I have anything to hide. Plus I can fully relate. If I were them I'd want to watch me too.

"We're going to record everything you say no matter what happens. This will involve storing petabytes of realtime data. We don't have any plans at all to make use of this data in any way. You can trust us. We're just kind of bored and running out of things to do, so we figured why not build out this system to capture petabytes of data we don't have any intent to use."

If this had anything to do with banning toxic players, then the recordings would be limited to games where a player got reported.

This would be enough to end the game for me if I played it.

i didn't ask how are they free. besides.. ad block [H] (or does daddy apple not let you use them?) can't remember the last time i've seen an ad on youtube. how about all the other "free games" that don't spy on you? how did valorant make it this long? again, youtube doesn't record your conversations you have in your own home while you're watching them.

I see that you are projecting quite a bit. Is there a specific reason for that?

I coach a High School Esports team, and we play Valorant. Valorant is one of the more popular games to play at the moment. The zero cost of entry is appealing, to sign up they also only require an email address from what I can remember it is pretty much anonymous, especially if you connect through an anonymous vpn should you feel the need. I play with voice chat off and only use discord with the team to communicate (not sure if that is any better, but its a great tool for my job). In Riots defence, there can be some highly toxic behavior in the voice chats and I'm all for them making an effort to control that. Being 38 I could care less what someone has to say about me or my play style, but this can have a negative effect on a teenagers self esteem. I would have just assume that any online game service would be recording your voice anyways, especially when there have been known terrorist ogranizations using certain games to communicate undetected in the past.

And this is how shit talking in online games dies. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

I coach a High School Esports team, and we play Valorant. Valorant is one of the more popular games to play at the moment. The zero cost of entry is appealing, to sign up they also only require an email address from what I can remember it is pretty much anonymous, especially if you connect through an anonymous vpn should you feel the need. I play with voice chat off and only use discord with the team to communicate (not sure if that is any better, but its a great tool for my job). In Riots defence, there can be some highly toxic behavior in the voice chats and I'm all for them making an effort to control that. Being 38 I could care less what someone has to say about me or my play style, but this can have a negative effect on a teenagers self esteem. I would have just assume that any online game service would be recording your voice anyways, especially when there have been known terrorist ogranizations using certain games to communicate undetected in the past.

What?!?! I'm 42, and when I was a teen I was shit talking just as badly back then as anything people say now. So unless the teens now are special snowflakes... I know some are, but they can't all be, right?

But when I watch Youtube videos I'm not in any way sending the information in the first place, so yeah you're right I would be upset if they all of a sudden had video or audio of me.

When you play games, you're sending your "information" to them which then gets redirected to others. The biggest difference it seems is the length of time that they hang onto that information.

And this is how shit talking in online games dies. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

What?!?! I'm 42, and when I was a teen I was shit talking just as badly back then as anything people say now. So unless the teens now are special snowflakes... I know some are, but they can't all be, right?
Lol, shit talking is one thing especially if there is a reason, some take it a bit too far and can get personal, Race ethnicity etc. It is most definitely more toxic than it was years ago, any trash can get a pc or console this day in age. Not like the old days where a PC was a luxury. I see it more of you should act as you would act out in public, if you want to bust someones balls is one thing, but when you start getting racial or dropping death threats over a game, you should probably seek some help as you may have some underlying anger issues that you should work to resolve. Bottom line is, if you take it too far there should be some sort of repercussion for your actions.

Was it all done "anonymously" too without any fear of repercussions if you went too far or if someone wanted to shut you up?

That said, lots of things were done back then that are worse than what we expect today, bullying, hazing, giving sexual consent, "boys being boys", etc, doesn't mean that it should be that way, but sure lets call them all snowflakes because you are a real bad ass!

Lol, shit talking is one thing especially if there is a reason, some take it a bit too far and can get personal, Race ethnicity etc. It is most definitely more toxic than it was years ago, any trash can get a pc or console this day in age. Not like the old days where a PC was a luxury. I see it more of you should act as you would act out in public, if you want to bust someones balls is one thing, but when you start getting racial or dropping death threats over a game, you should probably seek some help as you may have some underlying anger issues that you should work to resolve. Bottom line is, if you take it too far there should be some sort of repercussion for your actions.
Was it all done "anonymously" too without any fear of repercussions if you went too far or if someone wanted to shut you up?

That said, lots of things were done back then that are worse than what we expect today, bullying, hazing, giving sexual consent, "boys being boys", etc, doesn't mean that it should be that way, but sure lets call them all snowflakes because you are a real bad ass!
Back then you couldn't mute someone or block them either. Now there a plethora of tools to mute, block and blacklist people you don't want to hear or play with. All I'm saying is, people have been given tools to deal with it, and yet they still complain because they never want to hear it in the first place because it hurts their feelings.

And this will be my last post on this subject as it doesn't affect me in the slightest. I made my mind before this dumpster fire of a game came out that I didn't not want china installing a rootkit on my machine, and it's going to stay that way.

I coach a High School Esports team, and we play Valorant.
time to update the permission slips to include randomly recording kids....

lol its been like that from the get go.
yeah, a ban. not recording all users.

One of the main reasons I don't play multiplayer anymore. Voice chat used to be for the big boys who didn't mind talking shit. Now it's just another arbritrary way to get people banned

They say it's to prevent "rudeness" online but I'm convinced that this is part of the effort to monitor all public spaces (virtual included) for political speech that they don't like. In case nobody noticed but the public censorship only goes one way politically.

Riot Games will start recording and "temporarily" storing voice chats starting July 13. Supposedly for now it won't be used to assess behavior but to train language models.
1f914.png
But there are future plans on expansion of the tool for use in banning toxic players. For now completely disabling voice chat will turn monitoring off, but Riot is owned by Chinese company Ten Cent so i guess if you choose to trust what they're saying is on you.

Personally i don't play Valorant so it doesn't effect me but i wouldn't be happy about it if I did. Could china be using it to assess the behavior of it's citizens for use in their social credit system? I don't know seems creepy to me.

https://www.techspot.com/news/95085-riot-games-start-recording-valorant-player-voice-chats.html
I play il2 a lot. I stopped buying new dlc when tencent bought them. I ain’t supporting those people directly.

Free Tibet.
Support the Uyghurs.

Right, because they're trustworthy.
They would fully agree with you that the right is quite censored on the public sphere but so does people that want all government and powerful organization with power on people to cease to exist like communist has well tend to be very much censored.

Many actual Marxist/communist would tell you that no
Anyone I've met to claim to be communists or marxists are at most culturally marxist (while denying the cultural part :rolleyes: ). But these things are very easy to put to the test and you don't have to go far down any political rabbit holes to see what's plain as day.

You can publicly shit on the majority culture in America all you want (white & Christian), and this is reflected in virtual online spaces. On the other hand, there are several protected and privileged classes in the USA (all minority). You can't criticize these groups without facing social, financial, and soon even legal consequences. Additionally any crimes in America against these protected classes will be stacked against the accuser, while the criminals from these protected classes will be run cover for by the media and legal departments (check out what recently happened to Ethan Liming). You can disagree with me but these are the facts and the rules of online public spaces. The fact I've even been able to say what I have without censorship on this forum is extremely rare as I've been banned from 99% of public spaces for saying what I'm saying, and it's not marxist propaganda.

Well the person in charge of the game is a chick so it's like getting your mouth washed out with soap.

I think it's safe to say that people who are pro-establishment, those who are generally happy with the way Western society is going, would be very happy to give away all of their privacy for very small amounts of convenience, because after all, what do they have to hide, right? Of course, if it the tone of the USA and Western society was politically flipped (e.g. Hitler's Germany instead of Weimar Germany) - I guarantee you these people would be completely up in arms about any small invasion of their privacy.

I won't even be dishonest - if people like myself had power, I would use every instrument of power to pursue and redact Antifa (as well as their masters).

Can't say I play that game, besides, I turn off my cam and mic.
Free if you use ad blockers. ;)

I see someone watched the Paper Chase that aired on Showtime in the early 80s. lol
Wish I could find the clip tho, classic!
Being 38 I could care less what someone has to say about me or my play style, but this can have a negative effect on a teenagers self esteem. I would have just assume that any online game service would be recording your voice anyways, especially when there have been known terrorist ogranizations using certain games to communicate undetected in the past.
If teens have a problem with life I have a Safe Place guide in my sig they can follow. :)

why dont they just add features to block certain players. so if you don't like someone you can just mute them and block their text.
Because cancelling is a thing now, gods know how many times I been temp blocked on FudBook, and perma-banned on Boobtube because of Wrong-Think.

Can't say I play that game, besides, I turn off my cam and mic.

Free if you use ad blockers. ;)

In that case you can use a different voice chat program and play the game. Problem solved.

When I’m at work, my employer has a strict computer use policy. I know if I use their network, nothing is private (as it pertains to my employer). I assume everything is monitored and saved for later scrutiny.

This is different than using a service like Verizon or ATT or Comcast for communication. Namely because that is exactly what they are providing.

It is very upsetting that the Chinese have been to allowed to buy these game studios... basically getting westerners to pay to have the Chinese government to spy on them.. between this and the general f*cking of gamers for the last 3~yrs by NVIDIA and AMD... I'm rather put off pc gaming altogether now.. I'm not pay $1K+ for a graphics card to have Chinese spyware running on my computer.

That said if I had .001 bitcoin for everyone I have muted playing cs:go I could afford a new graphics card....

Reactions: Liver
like this
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back