RiMS Racing: High simulation motorcycle racing game from creators of the RIDE series

Armenius

Extremely [H]
From the creators of the Gran Turismo-style motorcycle series RIDE comes a new high simulation motorcycle game called RiMS Racing. The game makes the player both mechanic and rider, as you're tasked with analyzing and maintaining one of the eight accurately reproduced high performance motorcycles included in the game. You will be responsible for every component on the bike in extracting the most performance, as you select from a roster of over 500 individual parts and 200 pieces of equipment to modify your motorcycle. The game will include 10 laser-scanned circuits from around the world to race on. The teaser trailer below was revealed yesterday. The game comes out on Steam on August 19.

1618408880394.png

1618408912578.png

1618408942619.png

Very curious how this will play. I'm hoping it'll be good, I'd love a good motorcycle racing game.

Here is an interview with Raceward CEO Marco Ponte from last year talking about the concept of the game.

Considering Isle of Man is in a game by itself published by the same company (TT Isle of Man) I highly doubt it.
That doesn't mean much. Just because Slightly Mad studios made a game specifically about the BMW M3, doesn't mean none of their later games had that car in them.

Either way, this game seems interesting, but only if it has that type of tracks. Circuit racing is boooring with bikes.

That doesn't mean much. Just because Slightly Mad studios made a game specifically about the BMW M3, doesn't mean none of their later games had that car in them.

Either way, this game seems interesting, but only if it has that type of tracks. Circuit racing is boooring with bikes.
To each their own. I very much have enjoyed the Ride series.

Assets look very low quality, but texture quality in particular was never really that great in the RIDE series either. Also, "in development" disclaimer at the bottom for what it's worth.

looks like this is taking the physics and handling model from the Isle of Man 2 game and putting it in a forza motorsport style package.. could be pretty cool. unfortunately for them i think the market for such a game is pretty narrow... they're gonna have to keep development costs way down to turn a profit on it i think.

Think I'm gonna buy it. When I hear laser scanned, that get's me really interested. Only motorcycle game i've really got into was the motogp series and thought that game was decent.

I'm usually just playing racing simulators, but it's good to switch it up and try other stuff.

RiMS Racing is out now for all platforms. GTPlanet lauded the physics model, but didn't think too highly on its lack of content and graphical quality. The review is based on the PS5 version, though.

https://www.gtplanet.net/rims-racing-review-20210819/

A Youtuber who specializes in motorcycle racing games has some good gameplay videos up, including first impression of the retail release.

First person gameplay, including rainy conditions at Silverstone.

Played through practice a bit last night. Had some technical issues even trying to get the game running, at first. Turns out the game has a lot of issues running exclusive fullscreen, including crashing on startup and being stuck on 24 Hz or whatever your display's lowest refresh rate is. Running in fullscreen borderless window solved those issues, but the game will still randomly crash at times.

The game actually does not look that bad in action. I really appreciate the recreation of bumps along all the tracks as it lets you get more of a feel in how you need to navigate your motorcycle around. From my experience the physics also seem to be the best of any motorcycle game I've played before.

There are still some issues like the rear brake not being analog even if you map it on an analog control. There are also weird issues if you try to map the throttle on the right stick. For some reason it will just drop input whenever you try to feather the throttle, making you need to let go of the stick for a second and then push it again to get a response. Locking out horizontal movement is necessary if you map the throttle to the right stick, since for some reason it will still control the camera movement even if you unmap it from the stick. That behavior may be what causes the unresponsive nature of mapping the throttle to the stick. I typically prefer having front brake on left trigger, rear brake on right trigger, and throttle on right stick in motorcycle games. I've had to resolve to using the default, more typical car racing game mapping to avoid these issues.

It also seems to be a little to easy to initiate a stoppie. Sometimes the motorcycle just floats as if it weighs nothing when you try to use even the slightest amount of front brake if there is the smallest decline in the asphalt.

My verdict is wait for some patches. There is potential here, but you can tell it wasn't given a huge budget of time or money, so it is rough around the edges. The developers are active on the Steam forums right now, so hopefully that means we'll see some good fixes coming down the pipe in the near future. RIDE 4 is a much more polished experience, though it leans on the side of Forza-style simcade.

Thanks for the feedback will follow the devs on steam for a bit to see how it gets on patch wise. Hopefully it will get the necessary attention to polish it up and make it a proper game/sim.

Thanks for the post. I still plan to check out the game once I wrap up a few others. I'm a big fan of the racing games but I've never played a motorcycle game.

Hotfix released today to fix some of the control issues.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1346010/announcements/detail/2954912242016227171

Today we are releasing a small hotfix for RiMS Racing - highlighting some of the key issues brought up by the community. Thanks for taking the time to respond to us, we need great feedback like this to help us keep improving the game for you!

This update is around 500mb and addresses the following things:

- Fixed an issue that caused to load the wrong keybinds at game startup

- Fixed an issue that allowed to bind inputs from different sources to the same device;

- Fixed an issue that showed always the default keybind setup instead of the current active one when opening control settings;

- Using a Switch Pro Controller does not causes the game to crash anymore.

In order to use different controllers at the same time, each controller must be configured separately in its own controls settings window (to open the controller control settings window, confirm the selection using the controller you want to configure).

the RiMS Racing team

Back