RIM Granted 'Inconspicuous Use Of Cameras' Patent

HardOCP News

[H] News
RIM has been granted a patent on "inconspicuous use of cameras?" Ummm, is it just me, or does this sound like an anit-upskirt / anti-creepshot patent. :eek:

The tool would be in line with the company's mission to protect corporations from security vulnerabilities, which include not only unauthorized access to data, but also leaks from employees. According to the patent, "the camera restriction prevents a user from taking a picture of a subject if the device has not been steadily focused on the subject in question for a predetermined period of time."

it sound like DAT tape recorder made to not make a perfect copy of cd music. people will not touch this ,older people will not buys this they will never be able to hold the camera steady.:confused:

Good luck trying to take pictures of young kids or pets with this option ;)

"the camera restriction prevents a user from taking a picture of a subject if the device has not been steadily focused on the subject in question for a predetermined period of time."

This is only so that when the next patent is filed...

"the camera restriction prevents a user from taking a picture of a subject if the subject matched a copyright profile and a valid license wasn't found."

they get a small percentage of the license fee.

Imagine how much money it will generate. Cities could sell licenses to tourists that allow them to photo monuments and landmarks. Protect the dying postcard and tacky ornament industry by not permitting photos of the Eiffel Tower.

Governments & businesses can stop your camera from taking photographs of a document or location just by displaying a copyrighted symbol. No photos of Area 51 just by putting a symbol every 20ft on the fence. No pictures of the Iphone 8 prototype by putting a symbol on the cover. If its wifi enabled you could track when someone takes a photo anywhere in the world by monitoring hits on the license or copyright profile databases.

This use will be restricted as it would allow criminals to stop cameras working by wearing a mickey mouse mask. :D

Sounds like RIM still hasn't figured out how to remain in business.

Sounds like RIM still hasn't figured out how to remain in business.

Haha yep!

I can't see how this is anything but a limiting factor in the useability of the product. Quick shots of un-expected events, fast moving objects, and such seem to be impossible with this "feature." Just another reason to ignore BB10.

This sounds like some dopey requirement by a government to prevent someone from sneaking pictures during a UN dinner meeting. Zimbabwe won't sign a contract to buy *50* Blackberry phones until it's certain nobody will have any embarrassing photos taken!

Lol half the problem I have with cell phone pictures is that I can't or don't have the chance to hold it steady for a few seconds.

Ever try to take a pic of a cat? Or a car flying past on the highway (while I'm not driving).

Fail is synonymous with RIM at this point IMO.

Of course, proof they are fucking idiots...

The real use for such tech would be in IGNITION locks, where the drunk driver has to hold this item steady for X period of time before the car will start.

Since they are drunk, they can't, and hence no-drivey the car. :eek::rolleyes::cool:

Back