RIM Earnings Plummet by More Than Half

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure why people are surprised RIM's earnings have taken a dive, didn't CNN call the Blackberry Playbook the "herpes of tablets?"

Research in Motion saw its profit in the second quarter fall by more than half as Apple and Google continues to eat its lunch. The BlackBerry smartphone manufacturer reported today quarterly earnings of $329 million, or 63 cents a share, compared with a year-ago profit of $797 million, or $1.46 a share. Excluding one-time items, the company posted earnings of $419 million, or 80 cents a share. Revenue fell 9% percent to $4.2 billion.

Well, it looks like even with all the bad news they're still hiring, but I wouldn't take a RIM job if they have herpes.

Whenever I goto Staples theres always a Playbook demo. I've liked the limited amount of time I've spent with it.

They kinda cut prices on it... but originally it was just way too much, something like 699 for the 64gb and 499 for the 16gb. That's a ton of money. Anyone who had that much to spend on a tablet just bought a more functional Ipad2 or even original Ipad, anyways. I saw a blurb in the Toronto Sun this morning, it was estimated that they're selling 19 Ipads for every Playbook sold. Ouch. They need to drop their prices more.

If they made the Playbook $99 people would be shitting bricks and standing in front of Stapes at midnight.

Make a product that no one wants no one buys it. They made Blackberries business only at this point. It took RIM to put out the 9850 came out 1 year too late after the whole EVO/DROID craze.

Their tech is old. Their designs are are old. Their visuals are old. Their OS is way behind the time and they are consistently behind the tech curve.

RIM will probably collapse or be bought out within 2-3 years. Maybe not, but very good chance of that.

Their tech is old. Their designs are are old. Their visuals are old. Their OS is way behind the time and they are consistently behind the tech curve.

This.

The only good thing I EVER saw innovative with RIM (being a techy person) --- was they catered and invented cool things for Enterprise type businesses. The OS was just wayyyyy too cluttered and not appealing what-so-ever.

At least the RIM fanboys will be gone now. Like I said, any tech person could have called this years ago, way before the iphone and android became popular (2007-2008ish)

RIM will probably collapse or be bought out within 2-3 years. Maybe not, but very good chance of that.

i agreee.... but I would change "2-3 years" to 1-2.
And if not by then, never.

This.

The only good thing I EVER saw innovative with RIM (being a techy person) --- was they catered and invented cool things for Enterprise type businesses.
It's not even that good for them either, and that's the problem. Business people are switching to iPhones and Android phones because BB is too frustrating to use. Syncing calenders is a bitch compared to Google Calenders' automatic updating, and no one updates apps anymore because you need to restart the entire device.

Back