RIM compliance with India

ShadowStriker

[H]ard|Gawd
"Engineers from Waterloo, Ontario-based RIM will meet with technical staff from India’s Department of Telecommunications tomorrow, the officials said. The company is also working on a solution to allow access to corporate e-mails, they said. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...ackberry-messenger-access-by-sept-1.html]Link

"India has given RIM, the maker of the popular BlackBerry smart phone, until Aug. 31 to comply with a request to gain access to encrypted corporate e-mail and messaging services or those services will be shut."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...e-rim-all-under-scrutiny/article1671648/]Link

Well, there goes any operations for any corporate business in India...

Why, because India will have the same access the US and Canada have?

If RIM were smart, they'd start setting up regional servers so they don't expose more data ( read; risk ) than necessary.

If RIM were smart, they'd start setting up regional servers so they don't expose more data ( read; risk ) than necessary.

They've had that for a long time. When you pick your time zone during the BES install/setup, that determines which "server" around the globe your BES communicates with. About a year or so ago I had a quirk with one..it led to going onto higher level support with RIM, quite a few calls and remote sessions..they finally found the issue...that the BES (located in northeast US) was tied into one of RIMs servers in the UK..he guessed it was most likely due to the time zone being incorrectly selected during the setup/install.

In Canada, you have to request for information, not sure about the States. India is requesting of RIM to give them direct access to corporate emails without asking for them manually.

RIM faces an August 31 deadline to give Indian authorities the means to read e-mail and instant messages sent over the BlackBerry.
Link

Why, because India will have the same access the US and Canada have?

US has to have a warrant to access any of this information, question is, will these other countries have similar policies?

And I'm not comfortable opening up access to another country. Canada (where they originate), US (also North America, neighbors with Canada and historically friendly)....but once you get overseas and in that area of the world...nah...keep out.

They've had that for a long time. When you pick your time zone during the BES install/setup, that determines which "server" around the globe your BES communicates with. About a year or so ago I had a quirk with one..it led to going onto higher level support with RIM, quite a few calls and remote sessions..they finally found the issue...that the BES (located in northeast US) was tied into one of RIMs servers in the UK..he guessed it was most likely due to the time zone being incorrectly selected during the setup/install.
Interesting, but not exactly what I was talking about.

I'm referring to a server/cluster per legal zone. So conflicting laws from the region don't cause issues like we see here. ie: if india wants unrestricted access to indian citizen blackberries, knock themselves out.

I'm referring to a server/cluster per legal zone. So conflicting laws from the region don't cause issues like we see here. ie: if india wants unrestricted access to indian citizen blackberries, knock themselves out.

That I wouldn't have a problem with...access to info only related to BB's from cell carriers in their country...sure, no prob with me.

My understanding is that the country will setup a proxy for RIM data, and RIM will give them the tools to read the data

Its all just speculation unfortunately, very doubtful they'll actually release the actual details about this.

My understanding is that the country will setup a proxy for RIM data, and RIM will give them the tools to read the data

That's what they're saying, but if I were India, I'd also use it to take RIM for everything they've got. "Oh, information about company business crossing our server? Too bad for you, we're reading it."

Link

So far, according to Reuters, RIM has offered to provide the IP address of every BES in India, along with the IMEI and PIN for every BlackBerry handset. But that still won't allow interception of messages. At best it would mean that Indian security forces could track a specific user (by their IMEI), physically grab their BlackBerry, unlock it using the PIN and then access the messages - hardly discreet.

Back