Righthaven Domain On The Auction Block

Hah! I bet you that they're probably selling it, then immediately take action against you for trademark infringement!

The EFF or some group like that should snap it up and have it redirect. I think that would be even better than TBP or some pro-piracy group snapping it up.

"Righthaven... the place to hide all those activities you don't want your wife to know about!" :D

I believe Righthaven was one of the companies that sent out mass settlement letters against suspected copyright breakers. When they got caught, they were shut down for all intents and purposes.

I believe Righthaven was one of the companies that sent out mass settlement letters against suspected copyright breakers. When they got caught, they were shut down for all intents and purposes.

Probably will just switch names and continue business as usual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Righthaven: "Righthaven LLC is a copyright holding company"
I didn't get it either, but google solved that problem ;)

Hah! That's awesome... but like someone said, they could continue business as usual under another name... hopefully such tactics is denied by barring them from all court. I don't think I'd feel sorry that these guys spent so much money to get a degree and can't legally use it. Though I guess they can go around offering advise, but who'd want advise from barred lawyers?

righthaven.com -> gay dating site for closeted conservatives. The rentboy folks should pick it up.

Not with their business plan. They were severely bitch-slapped in court and lost several major judgments.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/09/righthaven-on-life-support/

from the above article:

It turns out Righthaven didn’t own the copyrights it was filing suit over. Instead, Stephens Media granted Righthaven permission to sue over the newspaper chain’s content in exchange for a 50 percent cut of all the settlements and jury awards: the agreement did not grant Righthaven license to use the content in any other way. The EFF called it a “sham.” Judge Hunt agreed, ruling that a “copyright owner cannot assign a bare right to sue” (.pdf).

Back