Right to Repair Being Discussed Live

I've lived in NY for the past 6 years..I have little faith that they pass something that actually benefits the people. This vote will come down to did the politicians get paid enough by the companies in question to block it. NY has a long history of shitty laws. One of the many reasons why I moved back down soth 6 months ago.

I've lived in NY for the past 6 years..I have little faith that they pass something that actually benefits the people. This vote will come down to did the politicians get paid enough by the companies in question to block it. NY has a long history of shitty laws. One of the many reasons why I moved back down soth 6 months ago.
I worked in NY (Rochester) once and will never do it again. They tax your full gross income to decide what you owe them never mind that I only worked there 25 days.

I worked in NY (Rochester) once and will never do it again. They tax your full gross income to decide what you owe them never mind that I only worked there 25 days.

Yea I was in Macedon just outside Rochester. The main thing that drove me away were the absolutely retarded salaries companies in that city want to pay IT. Higher overall cost of living than Atlanta GA where I'm from, but want to pay 35k/yr with shitty benefits and no company vehicle for the same job I did in Atlanta for 95k/yr + full benefits including a fleet vehicle and fuel card. Yea I moved back to Atlanta..fuck that place.

There is little or no value in the state of New York........I live here and have this conversation with myself every day.

I have no confidence that the legislature will be able to construct a bill that will pass.
If one does happen to escape committee, there will be so many challenges, it will never see the light of day.
Listen to the video, this is the third year this has been presented.....

There is little or no value in the state of New York........I live here and have this conversation with myself every day.

I have no confidence that the legislature will be able to construct a bill that will pass.
If one does happen to escape committee, there will be so many challenges, it will never see the light of day.
Listen to the video, this is the third year this has been presented.....

And you haven't left because.....?

Gerbils have far better aerodynamics.

Bet PETA had a field day with that one.

Anyway, if you own it, you should have the right to repair it with any 3rd party parts someone might make, coarse crApple has the right to decline a repair if you already fixed/tried to before hand.
So let me guess, they're bricking devices if it detects non-crApple parts in their stuff in the name of "safety"?

Last edited:
As a "car guy" I can understand unequivocally why manufacturers do not want to touch stuff that people have worked on.

I do say that I am OK with requiring vendors to make parts available, but I also wouldn't mind if doing self repairs voided the warranty. I mean, do you really expect Apple to honor a iPhone warranty if it comes in with some cheap knockoff screen that's falling off and doesn't work?

But I suppose there needs to be some leniency for common sense maintenance. Do I want my car powertrain warranty voided because I change my own oil? I suppose not, just like if you cleaned your phone screen you wouldn't want the warranty voided.

I'm torn. I like the right to repair but as someone who's had my phone stolen I also like the idea of hardware locking components to cut out the grey market for used parts. A simple search on ebay for phones with "Bad ESN" shows how bad the situation is. I realize some of these might be from the original owner if they're in collections with their carrier but I would wage far more are stolen.

Bet PETA had a field day with that one.

Anyway, if you own it, you should have the right to repair it with any 3rd party parts someone might make, coarse crApple has the right to decline a repair if you already fixed/tried to before hand.
So let me guess, they're bricking devices if it detects non-crApple parts in their stuff if the name of "safety"?
Someone posted here that their phone got bricked after replacing the screen with a third-party. I'll have to find it.

Someone posted here that their phone got bricked after replacing the screen with a third-party. I'll have to find it.
Actually phones are also getting brick after Apple own repairs also. Louis Rossmann made a video about it.

As a "car guy" I can understand unequivocally why manufacturers do not want to touch stuff that people have worked on.

I do say that I am OK with requiring vendors to make parts available, but I also wouldn't mind if doing self repairs voided the warranty. I mean, do you really expect Apple to honor a iPhone warranty if it comes in with some cheap knockoff screen that's falling off and doesn't work?

But I suppose there needs to be some leniency for common sense maintenance. Do I want my car powertrain warranty voided because I change my own oil? I suppose not, just like if you cleaned your phone screen you wouldn't want the warranty voided.
Happen to a friend of mine's car a few years ago. He changed his oil himself and his turbo blew up. Some that from what I read was common with early Chevy Cruze. They refused warranty repair and void the entire warranty.

Happen to a friend of mine's car a few years ago. He changed his oil himself and his turbo blew up. Some that from what I read was common with early Chevy Cruze. They refused warranty repair and void the entire warranty.
How the fuck he manage that!?

yeah there was wording in the warranty of our new car, 3 years ago, that not bringing in the car for basic maintenance as laid out in the warranty would void it.

How the fuck he manage that!?
He had receipts for every time he brought oil and stuff to do the change and was not good enough for them. He fought with the dealership for 6 months and they told him to remove his shit from their lot if he wasn't go to pay to replace the whole engine. He went to GM and they told him tough shit also. He replaced the turbo himself and flushed the engine out. A year later it did the same thing.

He had receipts for every time he brought oil and stuff to do the change and was not good enough for them. He fought with the dealership for 6 months and they told him to remove his shit from their lot if he wasn't go to pay to replace the whole engine. He went to GM and they told him tough shit also. He replaced the turbo himself and flushed the engine out. A year later it did the same thing.
It's interesting, because they are suppose to do an engine oil analysis and inspection to determine if oil had been changed regularly. It's pretty easy to know when it hasn't been based on the bearing wear, sludge, and deposit buildup. I'm kind of surprised this happened.

It's interesting, because they are suppose to do an engine oil analysis and inspection to determine if oil had been changed regularly. It's pretty easy to know when it hasn't been based on the bearing wear, sludge, and deposit buildup. I'm kind of surprised this happened.
They wouldn't do it. I told him to go get it done but h didn't.t the entire thing was a shit show.

if the warranty was for the iphones battery then the screen has little to nothing to do with it.

and at this point honestly in the world of car repair the vendor as of late is usually the last place people should go for parts..

there are better more robust aftermarket replacement parts that exist while dealer parts are still the same broken garbage you pull off.

also i love when people bring me cars they tried to fix themselves. it's easy money to repair the problem and what they broke trying to "fix" it.

Unless they can point to a lack of maintenance (not a lack of them doing the maintenance), or the problem was cause by something like using the wrong oil, it's illegal to deny the warranty.
If I had changed the oil myself (and kept the receipts) I'd be seeing them in court.

However, I always take my new car back to the dealer while it's under warranty. Last few cars had 2 years of free service, so the 3rd year then I take care of it myself, since the warranty is over.
That way there's no argument, since if something was done wrong it was the dealer's fault.

Simple solution, stop buying GM's. I won't buy Fords or Nissans because of problems I've had.

I had a Ford Explorer years ago that had way too many problems.
The transmission went out under warranty at 28,000 miles. Since there was no servicing require till 30,000 miles they couldn't get out of fixing it.
Went out again at 55,000 miles. The extended warranty tried to worm out of the coverage, but I had paperwork showing it was replaced at 28,000, so servicing wasn't due till 58,000 and they had to cover it.

I never towed anything with the Explorer, even though it had the optional tow package (with a transmission cooler). I never went off road (other than a few dirt roads), and it was usually just me in the car.
Luckily the 3rd transmission was better. It lasted to at least 91,000 miles when I sold the car, although based on how the shifting felt I doubt it made it to 100,000

Oh, I thought he blew the engine because of a bad oil change.

And that's why I won't buy american. Had three Chevy trucks each progressively worse,now I own a Tacoma and guess what Toyota states in the manual that they will never ask for proof of maintenance...

if the warranty was for the iphones battery then the screen has little to nothing to do with it.

and at this point honestly in the world of car repair the vendor as of late is usually the last place people should go for parts..

there are better more robust aftermarket replacement parts that exist while dealer parts are still the same broken garbage you pull off.

also i love when people bring me cars they tried to fix themselves. it's easy money to repair the problem and what they broke trying to "fix" it.

Personally, I am way more baffled with people who take theirs cars to certified mechanics because they're certified, only to end up with a whack job.

Just did timing belt on my Focus yesterday. As I aligned everything up, I realized that the timing wasn't correct. And previous service was done at the dealership...

Because I own a Toyota doesn't mean I trust the dealership. Last spring 2017 when I took it in for oil change they said the brake pads were wearing down legal but getting close. Fall they wanted twice the normal oil change price due to hurricanes etc etc. I took it to a local garage and they did the oil change and rotated my tires for 53 dollars, while it was on the lift I took my flashlight out pads still had plenty left nowhere near needing replacement just dealer scam.... I do have a local Mechanic who has never ripped me off. Guess where any non warranty work will be done.....

And that's why I won't buy american. Had three Chevy trucks each progressively worse,now I own a Tacoma and guess what Toyota states in the manual that they will never ask for proof of maintenance...
Don't buy German either then (not that they make trucks). They break just as often and cost 3 X more to fix.

Not allowed to work on my own car? This sounds as absurd as my health insurance company rejecting a claim for a kidney infection because I point my dick the wrong way when I drain my bladder....or reject a claim for prostatitis if I jerk off with the wrong hand.

Back