Right on the edge? HX620 for 6950 CF setup?

knobbicus

Limp Gawd
Been looking around a bit, and the estimates I've seen have a pair of 6950s in crossfire pulling about 580W or so under load. I'm running a Core 2 quad 9550 with mild overclock on an Asus Maximus Formula board powering two HDD and a DVD... a few case fans... I think that's it.

So the obvious question, does anyone have any advice on whether my awesome Corsair HX-620, which I love, can drive two MSI 6950s in crossfire? I've got one in there now, and I'm feeling the need to drop a second in.

Thanks! :cool:

I would say... don't unlock it and you'll probably be fine.

Yeah, these particular MSI cards don't have the BIOS switch and can't be unlocked. I was fine with that because of the great performance of the cooler and my confidence in the MSI brand. I really want a cool and quiet rig, and this card gives me that.

Thanks for the feedback. :D

keep in mind the caps on power supplies degrade over time.

Last edited:
Do it! then post in 6 months and let me know how it went because i have the same urge :D

If you're not water cooling and aren't going to OC the cards at all you should be ok.

It will work, but I would not do that. I'd allow for at least a 20% overhead on the power, its safe and allows room for future add ons. If something goes wrong or the parts you order do not perform exactly as expected something will go wrong.

Back