Right...chipset fan died on my mobo...

Welsper

Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
737
I've got an MSI K8N Neo 4 motherboard, which I've heard have had spotty reliability with their chipset fans....well...today I was cleaning my case, and I saw that mine was not functioning, when I started the computer, it would only spin about a half turn, and then stop....so yeah, I guess it's dead. Anyway, I'm getting a new one, maybe from MSI, maybe off of Newegg, anyone have any advice/experience/etc they can offer? Would be appreciated.
 

Double Jesus

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2002
Messages
1,209
i just took mine off the board and applied a little bit of 3 in 1 oil (for bike chains etc...) and spun it a few times then cleaned off the excess oil and added some as5. works perfectly again. no need for rmaing it's a 10 min fix at most. rma will take at least a week.
 

bobyjo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 18, 2005
Messages
407
Welsper said:
I've got an MSI K8N Neo 4 motherboard, which I've heard have had spotty reliability with their chipset fans....well...today I was cleaning my case, and I saw that mine was not functioning, when I started the computer, it would only spin about a half turn, and then stop....so yeah, I guess it's dead. Anyway, I'm getting a new one, maybe from MSI, maybe off of Newegg, anyone have any advice/experience/etc they can offer? Would be appreciated.

If you want a permanant fix for this.
Get yourself a Vantec Iceburg hs/fan.
Fits extremely well, is 100% copper, fan is very quite and cools your northbridge better than the OEM.
Cost about $15
 

Welsper

Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
737
halc998 said:
You'll want to get an aftermarket solution. Zalman provides a decent replacement, which is fanless.
Looks sweet, wonder if it'll fit under my GFX card (it extends right above the existing NB fan)...I'll probably try the 3-in-1 oil first, see how that works, because as far as I can tell, the fan is still functional, its just stuck...(evidenced when I turn the power on, it rotates for a half-turn, then stops)...we'll just have to see :S
 

halc998

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Messages
187
For sure. I'd go with the 3-in-1 method, just for cheap's sake. good luck with your repair/rigging.
 

seithon

Gawd
Joined
Oct 11, 2000
Messages
736
Just a note, if this is a NF4 chipset,
I have the Asus A8N, and i put on an Iceburg cooler, nice thing, but it touched a thing and shorted the system, stopping it from starting, so just keep that in mind. It was also a tiny bit big for the slot, but it DID fit on, just take your time ;)
 

Welsper

Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
737
seithon said:
Just a note, if this is a NF4 chipset,
I have the Asus A8N, and i put on an Iceburg cooler, nice thing, but it touched a thing and shorted the system, stopping it from starting, so just keep that in mind. It was also a tiny bit big for the slot, but it DID fit on, just take your time ;)
By 'Take your time', I assume you mean 'show it a little love' and by 'show it a little love', I assume you mean 'force it on there like your life depends on it', hehe, j/k, anyway, I just got an email back from MSI, they'll send me a free replacement fan for my board, just will take a little while (week-ish), I can live without it for that long, I suppose.....I will try the 3-in-1 on the old fan, however, to see if I can coax it back to life, maybe I can find another use for it or something, who knows....As a side note, even though the fan is out, is it possible for me to still use the computer? I ask this because it is the only winxp system in my house, and my sister needs it for assignments.....Thanks for all your help, guys. :)
 

Double Jesus

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2002
Messages
1,209
I still used mine for probably at least a week before I even noticed the fan had stopped then I oiled it up and it has never been better. Seems the lube they put on all these fans is pretty bad, I had to do the same to the fan on my gf's dfi board...
 

woel

n00b
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
33
I put a Zalman heatsink on my A8N-E yesterday. I thought I was going to kill motherboard but I managed to get it in place. I had a hard time removing the old fan/heatsink and might have scratched the board a bit. When I put the Zalman on I thought I was going to crush the chipset since it took a lot of force and I had to do one side at a time so when I was going to fasten the second side the heatsink was tilted over the chipset core. But everything worked out fine. :)

Now the only thing that makes noise in my computer is the graphics card.

One more thing. I think it would be hard to fit the Zalman on a sli-board. It was quite big.
 

Welsper

Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
737
woel said:
I put a Zalman heatsink on my A8N-E yesterday. I thought I was going to kill motherboard but I managed to get it in place. I had a hard time removing the old fan/heatsink and might have scratched the board a bit. When I put the Zalman on I thought I was going to crush the chipset since it took a lot of force and I had to do one side at a time so when I was going to fasten the second side the heatsink was tilted over the chipset core. But everything worked out fine. :)

Now the only thing that makes noise in my computer is the graphics card.

One more thing. I think it would be hard to fit the Zalman on a sli-board. It was quite big.
Heh, my problem isn't SLI, its the fact that my chipset is about halfway under my graphics card (6600GT), so my choices of fan/heatsink are limited to just a few...Anyway, I got confirmation of my order from MSI, so I'll have a new fan to put on soon. Thanks for all the help, guys :) I appreciate it muchly.... (Can't wait for it to be fixed, I'm tired of using this old P3 866 ~_~)
 

bobyjo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 18, 2005
Messages
407
I have installed the Vantec Iceburg hs/fan on several boards with the VGA card coming across that device.
This hs/fan has never been any taller than the OEM hs/fan that was already there.
Fits just like it was made for that install.
I am not a MSI user, so that board may be different, I don't know.
Most are all about the same.
 

Welsper

Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
737
bobyjo said:
I have installed the Vantec Iceburg hs/fan on several boards with the VGA card coming across that device.
This hs/fan has never been any taller than the OEM hs/fan that was already there.
Fits just like it was made for that install.
I am not a MSI user, so that board may be different, I don't know.
Most are all about the same.
Ahh...hmm, thanks for the info, if this fan fails as well *knocks on wood*, I'll probably look into that, see if it fits and junk, we'll see....when I get the new OEM fan fitted, I'll take pictures of my case's guts, so you can see how it looks, and if you think it'll fit :)
 
Top